Losing feeling in feet and legs

MCM5278

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am starting to lose feeling in my feet and legs. I was wondering if with better control, exercise, and maybe the right supplement if that's something you can get back? Has anyone ever reversed this problem? Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

There's a book by a Dr Bernstein called the Diabetes Solution. The author is a type 1 diabetic, who had a number of diabetic complications. He found a strict diet that helped his blood glucose control, and 40 yrs later he is fit, well, still practicing medicine, and says that his diabetic complications have improved dramatically.

You might find the book worth reading.

Reactions: 5 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I am starting to lose feeling in my feet and legs. I was wondering if with better control, exercise, and maybe the right supplement if that's something you can get back? Has anyone ever reversed this problem? Thanks
You may not get feeling/sensation back fully ?
But if get better control with your BG levels and HbA1c you can certainly
slow down the speed with and damage of this .

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did reverse neuropathy in my legs, BUT, this was neuropathy present at diagnosis. I had very bad neuropathy at diagnosis. As measured by a nasty nerve conduction machine. The same machine measured the neuropathy going away after a few months of insulin treatment. So (like cataracts, mentioned in another thread), SOME complications MAY be PARTLY reversible IF you catch them early enough. But more usually it is a question of good control stopping further deterioration.

Reactions: 7 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I have nerve damage in my feet and do not expect to get my nerve damage reversed.

My feet are bad but no medics have hinted at reversing mine.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told by the consultant at the pain clinic that there was no way the neuropathy in my left leg would get better. Once the nerves are damaged to such a degree there is no way back unfortunately.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Has these symptoms just come on since your hospitalisation? (your other thread you started over the weekend). Either way you should see your gp and get your legs and feet checked over.

MCM5278

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and thanks to everyone for your replies and input. Brunnerio I will definately be checking out that book. Thanks. Noblehead it was there a bit before the hospital but it has gotten much worse since. Thanks again to everyone for caring and sharing. I sure do wish I would of known what damage I was doing to myself when I wasn't in control. I just thought I had till I got way older to get it in control before damage would occur.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello and thanks to everyone for your replies and input. Brunnerio I will definately be checking out that book. Thanks. Noblehead it was there a bit before the hospital but it has gotten much worse since. Thanks again to everyone for caring and sharing. I sure do wish I would of known what damage I was doing to myself when I wasn't in control. I just thought I had till I got way older to get it in control before damage would occur.

I would still go and have some tests done on your feet and legs to determine the cause of the lack of feeling in your lower limbs.

Whatever you do don't tighten your blood glucose control up too quick, as you've said you have had diabetic retinopathy you need to lower your bg levels over a longer period of time, sudden tightening of diabetes control can make retinopathy much worse, although good control in the long-term will help matters enormously . Do speak with your diabetes consultant and Ophthalmologist first before making any big changes. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 people

MCM5278

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Noblehead I will definately be asking my doctor about the test for the legs. I sure wish I would of known about the not bringing down the a1c to fast last year. After my hospital stay I tightened up real quick. I went from a long time of no control to very tight and that's when my retinopathy started. I have been doing tons of searching today on reversing peripheral nerve damage and neuropathy and came across some possibly interesting studies. I'm gonna look more into it, but you never know. It's the use of electro magnetic fields, frequencies and such I believe. Thanks again. And here's a link to the scholar article on a trial where peripheral nerves were regenerated in mice with emf waves
http://www.science-direct.com/science/article/pii/S0003999303001060.

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had bad feet since before my type 2 diagnosis a few months back and it's getting worse. I'm due for my first big appointment next week but I'll go back to my doctor first. He had prescribed Naproxen for my feet but at the surgery last week I was told that another doctor would not issue a repeat prescription without a consultation. So, no pills = pain back. It's like walking on cotton wool combined with tingling sensations up the back of my legs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App