New type 1 LowCarbers ~~

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to the insulin leprechaun, have done the fasting trial and the basal is allright; on 8 units Am & 4.5pm. Cant comment on the carb ratio since never could learn how to calculate that, but thank heavens my correction dose says that 1 unit of fast act=lowers 40 mg/dl.
Been doing some reading on the Tag thing, but the only thing I got was that u need to calculate 50% of the protein and 10% of the fat to have it right?
It's great that you have your basal right and now you need to get your carb ratio right. This is essential, there is no skipping it.
TAG, protein dosing and fat dosing, do not worry about now and not until you have the carb ratio working. You may never need to worry about protein or fat dosing. Get the carbs right first. Then ONLY if you see some unexpected high BG results after eating protein, try a protein dose, but start small, say 20% or 25% of the grams of protein as grams of carbs, and work your way up slowly from there as needed.

That's grams of actual protein in the food, not grams of meat or fish etc. Bernstein can be very confusing on this.

Reactions: 2 people

Serial45

Hi Jaz,
I also tend to eat carbs and correct with insulin, my HBA1C results are great though, averaging 6.0-6.5
What where your HBA1C results like say over the past few years?

Reactions: 2 people

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Hey Jazz :)
I've only got time for a quick post, back later though !
A few questions - are you saying you don't have any test strips ? If so, a guessed estimate of bolus is probably responsible for your hypos.And don't worry about the bread and sugar to bring you out of a hypo , it's necessary to treat that, if not ideal.

What insulins are you using ?

Are you using syringes or insulin pens ?

Signy

Hi!! Finally a night for my own.. Soo right bout the hypos but still believe can be achieved despite that. :)

Please dont judge so much, but I've been on the same insulin since diagnosed; only for 10 months the bolus was changed when pregnant (to the aspart kind) and I was too sensitive to it. My body responds well to the novonordisk brand, so use as basal the novolin N & R as bolus (actrapid). When something works for u why would u change it? Since they are not manufactured for pens anymore, have to use injections, bought by boxs. Studied today the carb ratio so; moving forward!!

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
@Jaz253 are you in the US and without a health plan that pays for your blood test strips or an endo who knows T1?

I know there is an active search always for the cheapest test strips in the US and you should be able to get them for much less than £0.61 or $0.61 per strip. Have you checked US diabetic on line websites and forums for the best price?

I can't imagine living in the Usa! Had the chance when I was 18 but seemed too overwhelming so played other cards; studied 3 years of medicine though. No, I live in Santa Cruz, Bolivia so one touch strips cost 1$ or 0.61£, from the thin wallet :eek:

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Jaz253 to answer your original question, as a T1 I tried unsuccessfully to do low carb the Bernstein way. When it works it works brilliantly but it is hard to stick to because of the carb cravings. The 3 problems I have with following the lovely and heroic Dr B's low carb T1 diet are:

1 the carb:insulin dose adjustment instructions are almost incomprensible
2 the protein:insulin dose instructions are beyond incomprehensible
3 there is not enough emphasis on fat in the diet

The most important of these 3 points is the last one. Get as much fat into your diet as you possibly can. It will take away food cravings and carb cravings. For me this was the breakthrough that made low carb work, changed from being an impossible mission to a sustainable lifestyle.

I like Bernstein's instructions cuz was the first diabetic who was able to broadcast the truth about this condition. Has delayed stomach emptying and understanding of xerotic skin...
I tried adding more fat and it leaves u so full! And no hypos, just 1u for dinner. Is ok :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Jaz253 to answer your original question, as a T1 I tried unsuccessfully to do low carb the Bernstein way. When it works it works brilliantly but it is hard to stick to because of the carb cravings. The 3 problems I have with following the lovely and heroic Dr B's low carb T1 diet are:

1 the carb:insulin dose adjustment instructions are almost incomprensible
2 the protein:insulin dose instructions are beyond incomprehensible
3 there is not enough emphasis on fat in the diet

The most important of these 3 points is the last one. Get as much fat into your diet as you possibly can. It will take away food cravings and carb cravings. For me this was the breakthrough that made low carb work, changed from being an impossible mission to a sustainable lifestyle.

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Jaz, I can't add much to what's already been said, but with regards to your diabetic retinopathy you need to be aware that you shouldn't tighten up your bg control too quick as this can make retinopathy worse, they say that people who are looking to improve their diabetes control should do so gradually over a longer period, if in doubt speak with the Ophthalmologist who is looking after you. Good luck!!!

OMG!!! Do goblins exist?! What I mean is that Exactly was the same thing on my mind after I started this. I started eating potatoes and rice, but felt too bad after so, like a tractor had gone inside the loins :s What Im doing is drinking milk and half an apple a day, and can say that today had no hypos. Thank u Noblehead!! My dilated eye exam is due to next dec 20, appointed by my endo

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's great that you have your basal right and now you need to get your carb ratio right. This is essential, there is no skipping it.
TAG, protein dosing and fat dosing, do not worry about now and not until you have the carb ratio working. You may never need to worry about protein or fat dosing. Get the carbs right first. Then ONLY if you see some unexpected high BG results after eating protein, try a protein dose, but start small, say 20% or 25% of the grams of protein as grams of carbs, and work your way up slowly from there as needed.

That's grams of actual protein in the food, not grams of meat or fish etc. Bernstein can be very confusing on this.

Skipping who said anything bout it... happens that 2 months ago I found it useless cause kept having hypos. But then got a 39.5 IC ratio & today it showed off 23.8 (still trying the LC) :) Thats almost half!
Found this, very clear. Only need to have at least 70 strips for a week, and of course remember to print or email it to ur endo
dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabetes/type1/treatment-of-type-1-diabetes/medications-and-therapies/type-1-insulin-therapy/calculating-insulin-dose/

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Jaz,
I also tend to eat carbs and correct with insulin, my HBA1C results are great though, averaging 6.0-6.5
What where your HBA1C results like say over the past few years?

Hi Serial45! A way up to go on carbs isnt it? hehe Congrats on those Hb1 results hope u're recently diagnosed? On the last 7 years I hit an average of 6-7.... With the change of diet hope this can be improved :I