Questions on LCHF Diet

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been considering trying the LCHF diet as many people on here seem to praise it. The reason for me is to try and keep my levels stable rather than lose weight as I don’t need to do that.
For those that don’t know about my situation here is a quick recap.

Type 1 for 31 years on MDI using Novorapid and Levemir but have my first appointment next month with a pump nurse.
Most HbA1c’s are perfect in the 40’s but I struggle to keep my levels stable with most readings being either in the 2-3 range or 10-12. My hypo unawareness is variable and I am still susceptible to bad ones at night (had one this week) although the frequency of them has dropped to about 1 every 3 months from 2 or 3 a month before I attended a DAFNE course last year. I am nearly always aware of hypo’s before they become debilitating during the day but am able to walk around with readings in the 2’s and not be bothered by them.
I am 5’9 and weigh about 67kg and have lost about 14kg in the last couple of years through cycling. This seems to have made me very sensitive to insulin and carbs which has made my control harder as small adjustments often have big impacts. When I try and raise my levels they almost always go past where I want them.
I don’t eat huge amounts of carbs at the moment but will probably have around 120-150g a day and will eat them with most meals. So my questions are as follows,
1) I cycle almost daily and will do 22 miles commuting each day and then between 50 and 60 at the weekend for pleasure. How will I cope with LCHF doing this? If I wake up with a BS of 5 for example (chance would be a fine thing) how will I be able to cycle the 11 miles to work with no carbs? Surely I will hypo?
2) I haven’t eaten meat for years but would consider starting if the LCHF works for me. I eat fish and dairy. But would I be able to have a varied enough diet without eating meat to make it acceptable?
3) I have been googling for more advice for T1’s on this but most advice seems to be for T2’s or overweight people. Can anyone recommend some links for active T1’s?
4) Do you know if this has any impact on cholesterol or blood pressure at all? My levels are at the high side of normal but don’t want them to increase if I am eating more full fat cheese and dairy etc.
5) How many grams of carbs would you consider to be low carb anyway? I know ultra low carb is about 30gm a day but I want to have flexibility in my life and if I want to occasionally drink some beer or eat pasta etc then I will do that.
Sorry for the really long post but any help on this would be great. Thanks guys.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't answer all your questions as I don't follow a LCHF diet, however by what your saying about your present bg levels and the range they are in you do sound like an ideal candidate for a pump, I suspect your erratic bg levels may be down to poor insulin absorption due to over-injecting, I'm finding the same after 33 years of injecting and need to be careful where I inject.

Good luck and hope you get some advice from the experienced type 1 members of the forum.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My injection sites are actually not too bad but because I cycle so much I can't really use my legs anymore because I have such well developed muscles in them now. There are only a few spots that really work so I do need to be careful. I just seem to be very sensitive to insulin and carbs now. Definitely starting to think I do need a pump although I have been pushing against them for a while.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My injection sites are actually not too bad but because I cycle so much I can't really use my legs anymore because I have such well developed muscles in them now. There are only a few spots that really work so I do need to be careful. I just seem to be very sensitive to insulin and carbs now. Definitely starting to think I do need a pump although I have been pushing against them for a while.

Well if your sensitive to insulin then the pump would be ideal AC, I think the beauty of insulin pumps is you can administer the insulin in such small increments and over extended periods.

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Hi! Im not very experienced (just a month
on it) but I totally identify with u on the ups
and downs in BS, the hypos awareness and
insulin sensitivity! Let me tell u have been
the 23 years of my D eating carbs with
Bsugars bordering between 2.5(46) to
18.8(340)
First of all, u need to find an
endo or a nourse in ur area thats ok with
LC
I found Richard Bernstein for the basics
after some reading on this awesome forum; u can find him in google typing his name + diabetes solution
And who helped me to get more info: Dr. Roy Stapleton, an australian radiologist who has an HBa1 of 4.5-5. His paleo approach seems more practical and he exercises a lot, like u (can also be found on twitter as Dr. Roy Stapleton; replies to u in a matter of hours, but doesn't give medical directions) Is on google also, under Paleo diabetic Roy stapleton

A few comments about ur questions: I live
in Santa Cruz-Bolivia, where this change of
diet is faaar too much away as my people
basically live in carbs (60/70% on most
usual dishes) but since Iam a housewife I do
my best to eat "the premium of energy fuel",
as came to name a LC hehe. I
manage with meat, poultry, dairy (cheese &
nat yogurt) & eggs but maybe thats because I get stuffed with few food

1. Youll need to reduce ur basal as well as
ur bolus. IE what I do is to walk vigorously for
half an hour, arrive home and bolus 2 units
to eat right away (novolin R) . The thing is that
cannot reduce more than 2u per day cause hypo would happen. If I were in ur shoes, could have 2 big cups of milk before leaving for the ride, since milk does affect ur levels. **
2. Remember that u also need to add some
veggies (occasional beans) and vitamins,
and that all kind of birds and fish are allowed, so the meat dep would be covered there. Just have to be creative in the kitchen, have fun with that!
3. This will affect ur blood levels but on a
bright side. According to R. Bernstein, (and
a 'few' others) once ur organism is accustom
ed, the lipids normalize as well as blood presure
4. I would start with 100gr per day, always remembering the 5% more or less probability rule of carb content in anything. But Im just guessing, remember I don't have any experience treating diabetics!

The best way of manage it? Test a lot. If u
can afford it, in the US could get a CGM; or have at least 6 strips per day. Is the only way to follow and see with ur doc how the change affects u. But let me tell u, once more, that
is an excellent choice! Should be followed by
the Ada as a treatment basis ;) Best of
wishes!

**Please note that Im not giving instruction
s or anything like that, just sharing my
experience. A good control is only archived
working with a good physician who
concerns about