Novopen Echo problems

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am having problems with my Novopen Echo and struggling to get answers from Novo. Does anyone have a contact that works with them?

First time this happened, I emailed them, they took their time answering and then asked unnecessarily for access to my medical records but gave no answer. They appear to be doing exactly the same this time around.

My pen is not recording dosage properly and I strongly suspect it is, in fact, giving a low dose when this happens. Extremely worrying.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Might be the battery has died, just ask for a new pen from your Dr.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect the dosage recording on the Echo pen is not related to the actual dosage given. The spiral thingie is pretty solid and I would only worry if you hear it slipping. You can do a check over several days by recording the dosages and checking how much has been dispensed by looking at the markings beside the cartridge; they should be the same?

spats

shame! I had problems with my lantus (Not pre fill) pen and got immediate reply, replacements and sae for return of goods!!!

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect the dosage recording on the Echo pen is not related to the actual dosage given. The spiral thingie is pretty solid and I would only worry if you hear it slipping. You can do a check over several days by recording the dosages and checking how much has been dispensed by looking at the markings beside the cartridge; they should be the same?

Never thought of checking the dose that way. I have heard what may be the spiral slipping as I inject on occasion, which has never happened with my other pen. But this is with 20u levemir dosages, my novorapid is usually a lot less. TBH, I've stopped using it now, I don't trust it anymore. Shame as the timer / dose indicator is so useful.

I'm just shocked that Novo are not supporting me on this. I can't understand why would they want written permission to contact my doctor when I have a fault with a pen.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They have no right or need to access your medical records, rather than being put off the Echo Pen ( as it is a great pen) why don't you just ask for a new one, insulin pens.................no matter what make they are will go faulty from time-to-time.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a faulty Echo pen but my doctor just wrote a prescription for a new one. I didn't bother to contact the manufacturer. Agree you're getting poor customer service though.

Smidge

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I finally got a response from Novo, I think they are sending me a new Echo. Their ethos appears to be that I should have waited a fortnight to see my doctor, got my wife to take time off work to take me in my wheelchair to see him, wasted his time explaining the problem and then getting a new pen prescription in order to bolster Novo's profits.

No wonder the NHS is going broke if this is the attitude their suppliers have.

Luckily I have a spare Novopen 4 which I've been using the last few days, not trusting the Echo. My, have I missed the reminder of last dose and elapsed time, it gives just that little extra memory jog, always welcome.