Can I re-use Lancets?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an interesting question. I have always used lancets only once. My nurse said so. But what if I put them in the steamer to make them sterile? I may try that to see what happens. After all, I am here to learn.

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told you should change them for each test as they could be contaminated but I change them when they become painful!

minidvr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politics, Celebrity Life Styles being pushed as the ideal.
At the moment as I only test weekly, I always change the lancet. I'm well aware of the dangers of infection with a used lancet and have a sharp box for the discarded ones. Better than throwing them in the bin.

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually test x5/day with Abbott Thin Lancets. I normally change the lancet daily.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I reuse lancets for weeks. I have been doing this for the past year and have no infections in my fingers. Even the great Dr Bernstein says it's ok to reuse them. If it's good enough for him then I'm ok with it.

I will change them about every 50 -100 strips.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I change mine when it hurts !
CAROL

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been re using mine, and usually change every couple of days. I did wonder if it could alter the result, so not sure about that.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have to buy or change lancets, I've a click pen with my meter and that works fine :bag:

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I have 4 (or is it 5?) One Touch meters each with its own lancing device. I keep them in their carrying cases and they are stored in various bags and drawers at home and office. I change the lancets from time to time but probably varies from several weeks to several months depending which test kit it is, as some I use more often than others.

Never any sign of inflammation at puncture sites and my immune system since diagnosis is in good shape - but if I was immunocompromised in any way I would be much stricter on changing lancets (and pen needles!).

spats

As a nurse I would advise against reusing lancets as any dirty needle could cause sepsis. However, if you do choose to reuse, you should at the very least regularly sterilise. This can be done in several ways... Boiling water, flames, or soak in something like TCP or Milton just for your own safety. You could be the unlucky one who does develop sepsis, which could kill if not detected early.
You can't be serious!!! Folk don't change the lance to save time or are in a place where it is inconvenient or anything like that. It is easy to change when needed - so why fiddle around with your suggestions!!!!

spats

I had reused my accucheck lances for over a decade - then accepted the surgery supply from another company, only to find hat my finger tips getting wrecked within a week - even with changing every time after lumps being noticed!!! Now changed back to my original as I still had the machine, and nursed the fingers by using my thumb for weeks. All fingers are now scarred, but not lumpy! Can't use other hand due to surgery. It is a pity that lancet machines are linked to the blood testing set .especially when they get lost and a replacement entails the complete set. Generally chsnge when I get a pain reminder!!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think that setting fire to my multiclix would do much for it!!!
CAROL

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally bought my Aviva Accucheck monitor but want to know if I can use a lancet more than once or do I have to keep changing it after every test?

First ever test 20.30pm after a meal of tinned curry ( low carbs) and oven chips, got a feeling the oven chips won't do very well !! :cry:

Hi

I change lancets for every test

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Still **** at changing lancets. To be honest nowadays I just change if I test other people! Accuchek multickix got 5 or 6 lancets in their stabbing devices and would be easy enough to change.. But naah, never bothered just wait for them to get painful eventually or someone else. I still stab my fingers at least 10 times a day...crikey I would be having a box of lancets a month or less!!

I've never heard of a diabetic losing a finger due to any reason of non feeling or numbness or infection... So after 30years+ I don't really think I'm likely to change...

Just had a look at the boxes I have upstairs. Prescribed to me on 1/5/2012 unopened...and the box before that I'm using was prescribed in Sept 2010 when I got my pump....and still 1 full layer out of 2 in the box...

Perhaps I should say to GP, well Lancets aren't on my repeat prescription and still have... So can I have some additional strips because I am so cheap on lancets??

Reactions: 2 people

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using the same lancet for over 200 test strips and never had any problems with my fingers ( I am 73 years old ).

Reactions: 2 people

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Change mine each time

alliebee

I think maybe many people ate fibbing. And I have 25 years experience of nursing behind me. I have heard and seen a lot !!

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
I thought it had to be done for cleaness