Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning but did have an Indian meal out last night. No rice but did have a poppadum and an onion bajhia.

Reactions: 3 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Opened another tub of Freestyle Lite strips bought at the same time as my last ones

1) Last tub I was consistently 4.8 in the morning and even better in the afternoon
2) This NEW blinking tub shows 6.5 in the morning and I just had 2 readings of 6.0 and 6.8 in the after noon
3) the tub before last was a happy little tub measuring 5.8 in the mornings consistently.

I am disgusted at the quality control of these meters...
People need reliability not...

"Lets make it up as we go along they wont notice they are just dumb diabetics"...
"and if they do notice just blame it on the +/- 20% out in the small print"

Anyone know of ACUTATE meters and strips - money is not object now ill re mortgage - :¬P
im guessing they are all a load of gonads

Current FDA standards (usa) state
For results at or above 75 mg/dl: 95 percent of meter test results must be within plus or minus 20 percent of the actual blood glucose level.

Meaning in UK speak!

If my BG is really 5.5 mmol ...
Meters are allowed to report my Blood Glucose as between
4.4. and 6.6
I can see a pattern here now :¬(

The only thing I ask is that they keep the same error in tubs over the same batch or time period
As not doing this makes it impossible to graph if errors change per tub all the time

<RANT OFF> sorry peeps for that

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 before dinner
5.6 after
5,5 fasting

It's just not going any further down so bit disappointed
I really want to stop Metformin and then see what effect it makes on my blood but the doc said we can't stop it till you show you are able to keep it down for over a year.

Ok so I have no idea but couldn't you try coming off it and continue to monitor your BG levels? If they go up, then just start it again if BG goes up?

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
I seem to be hitting a sweet spot my morning sugars have been between 11 & 14 for over three weeks. My holiday did not help but that was a week ago ? Not sure what next.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
brettsza I wish I had your readings,I cant get below 5

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been advised that BG = 4 is verging on a hypo and if I do get a value like this then I must have carbs to get it up from here.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I have no idea but couldn't you try coming off it and continue to monitor your BG levels? If they go up, then just start it again if BG goes up?
I really would like to do it but the would the doc like it?

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
brettsza I wish I had your readings,I cant get below 5
Hi Patricia
I was diagnosed at 16.2 exactly 2 months ago and I got to about 5's in a week but haven't progressed after that.
Just keep working on the diet. I miss my fruits :( you will get there. What are your readings like?

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really would like to do it but the would the doc like it?

I wouldn't tell them. Just experiment yourself. You know your body. Doc offered me met but I refused. She said she'd give me three months to see what happens....

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi brettaza.
I had no idea before I got a moniter with advice from the forum.My last blood test was in June and I was 56 ,my next test im told I will be sent for this month.Im testing 6 and 7 fasting my best test is before evening meal in the 5 usually 6 or 7 all day,Im on 1x500 mg metformin per day.I am 5ft6 and 10 stone,I am on LCHF diet ,dont want to lose more weight.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be hitting a sweet spot my morning sugars have been between 11 & 14 for over three weeks. My holiday did not help but that was a week ago ? Not sure what next.

What were they before your holiday? What are your levels like at other times?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 before dinner
5.6 after
5,5 fasting

It's just not going any further down so bit disappointed
I really want to stop Metformin and then see what effect it makes on my blood but the doc said we can't stop it till you show you are able to keep it down for over a year.

Why are you disappointed? Those numbers are brilliant. 5.5 is a normal fasting level. It is my belief that we are all have our own unique base levels and will rarely get any lower than that. Some people function on 4's or even 3's, but not everyone. We all reach our own level. You are too hard on yourself. I also agree there is no harm stopping taking the Metformin to see how you go on.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Type 2 diabetics to test their blood glucose levels diligently every morning and detect any problems. Then the doctor orders an HbA1c test and the results indicate that the level of blood sugar are completely out of control. This is one of the great mysteries of the management of type 2 diabetes.

The way doctors HbA1c numbers translate into average glucose levels in the blood literally varies from lab to lab (due to variations in how the test substances are used), but most doctors in tHE UNITED STATES use very close to this formula:

Level of blood sugar average 47 = 28.7 times lower HbA1c

Suppose you have a level of 8.0% in HbA1c. An approximation of the average blood glucose over the past two or three months would be 28.7 times 8 or 229 (Borough of significant digits), less 47 or 182 mg / dl (10.2 mmol / L). But what if the level of fasting blood glucose was consistently below 100 mg / dL (5.5 mmol / L)?

The answer:

If you have a good fasting blood glucose and HbA1c percentage poor, the problem is that the level of blood sugar has spiraled out of control after meals. There are at least three ways to solve this problem:

1 Eat smaller portions for your main meals, and if you're still hungry, eat a high protein or high fat snack ... whole milk yogurt, or if you are vegan or vegetarian, any soy foods or fruit dry.

2 Consider taking insulin injections before meals.

3 Focus on plant foods and acidic foods at every meal. This slows the movement of food through the stomach and pancreas gives the opportunity to release enough to deal with the release of glucose from the digestion of food insulin.

Acceptable fasting glucose combined with high percentage of HbA1c level indicates that your blood sugar up and down a lot during every 24 hours. Changes in the levels of glucose in the blood can cause even greater problems with insulin resistance that blood sugars are high all the time. If you do not receive your blood glucose after meals, and finally, the level of fasting blood sugar will rise too.

The best diet plan for type 2 diabetes is simply "think small" and "eat small." Reducing the pieces gives your body a better chance to meet any dietary indiscretion, and gives your pancreas to release insulin time you need to maintain your level of blood sugar under control.

alliebee

Well I am declaring war on my liver! Have had a small protein snack and half a hot choc options for supper. Going bed on a 5.9. Just dare to dump on me. ( got 2 brazil nuts by bed with a cube of cheese and I will have them as soon as I stir in the morn. Watch this space!!,,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am declaring war on my liver! Have had a small protein snack and half a hot choc options for supper. Going bed on a 5.9. Just dare to dump on me. ( got 2 brazil nuts by bed with a cube of cheese and I will have them as soon as I stir in the morn. Watch this space!!,,

Best of luck!

lynnanne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What were they before your holiday? What are your levels like at other times?

Notice your morning fasting BS is excellent. Mine varies between 6.2 to 7.8 despite having good readings during the day. I don't seems to be able to bring it down. Please help.

alliebee

Well it may be cheating but woke so early this morning. But. Ha ha. The liver dump fairies were still asleep! I woke with a 7.2! Lowest ever morning reading...ate my cheese couldn't face the nuts and a cup of tea. Its only 5.30 so back to bed to doze. Will test before breakfast later :)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 this morning -really wanted another 4.9 though!! Had gone to bed on 5.4 so I guess the cheese kept fairies busy!

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.