Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Budge over, I'm in. :mrgreen:

Latest hbA1c - 5.9%

Took me ages to get my result, I had it the other Friday. Was run over by a bike coming out of the blood clinic would you believe, so haven't been able to get into the doctors as yet.

The nurse just said my cholesterol was "abnormal" whereas it was really good last time. :roll:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
yayyyyyyy well done, im 5.9 too , i have to say that chol does seem to rise when low carbing but does go back to what it was b4 :D

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I figured that was maybe what it was, but as I just said to the other half, there is not much more I can cut out of my diet so I am keeping my cheese and cream and bacon! :lol:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming bike? :shock:

Great result with the A1c, though, well done indeed! Let us know when the cholesterol numbers come back. Even if total cholesterol has risen a bit, it's likely to be HDL (the good stuff). Your triglycerides might have actually fallen, which would be better still.

All the best,

fergus

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Welcome to the club VBee. Well done.

johnar

Good to hear it

I got some results today too and managed a 5.6! I'm really chuffed with that and I dont care if its helped by honeymooning :D

lilibet

Well done Johnar and Vbee. ****** honeymoons though johnar, there are plenty in honeymoon who dont manage it so HONEYMOON SCHMONEYMOON

Though I do find it a hoot that if you do well you get into trouble for being restrictive/anal/too controlled or otherwise its your honeymoond period. It would be nice if they just say WELL DONE you're managing your hellish condition better than I would :lol:

Glad to hear re the cholesterol Fergus - cause mines has gone up for 1st time in years. Weight starting to creep up too. :( Still only on TDD of 12 or 13. Must be the mix snacking thats doing it

rubik101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fat!
Pardon my ignorance but; My numbers vary from 5.1 at 2 hours post b'fast to around 7.4 at 11pm and the same at 7am.
Do I qualify for membership?

hermit104

Nope. Different numbers, Rubik.

They are talking about the HbA1c % which is an average measurement of your blood glucose level over 2 - 3 months whereas your meter measurement is in mmol/l and represents the glucose level at a particular time.

Rona

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
well my Hb1ac is 5.6% and cholestrol is now down to 4.4. getting there

Trinkwasser

Congratulations on the A1c. Every member of the 5% Club is a poke in the eye for DUK/NICE/the ADA

Was it your dietician who tried to run you over?

"Abnormal" lipids don't mean much without the breakdown I'm afraid, as Fergus says it might be you had abnormally high HDL, or even abnormally low trigs.

wallycorker

I've just found this thread - I hink that its a great idea! It may give others the motivation that they might need to do better once they see that such numbers are possible.

My last two HbA1c results were 5.7% and 5.5% so I suppose that I qualify for the 5% Club.

Are there a 6% and 7% Clubs too? If not, there ought to be because maintaining those levels is quite an achievement too.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations all of you!
My last HbA1c was 6.9% down from 8%+ the last few times, I think that is mostly down to a higher dose of pioglitazone though! (although my diet has improved a bit too!).

iph888

Is there a 4% club?

My last test was 4.9 but not recommended as I was starting to feel lightheaded at times and it made the nurse take me off my metformin immediately.

I am probably much worse than this now given my lack of self control recently so will be interesting to see if I actually get a reading in the 5% range.

I must remember reading Men's Health isn't the same as actually working out!

etoc

Hi,

I've just had my first A1c test since being diagnosed and the nurse said I was 8.2 which I thought wasn't bad as my fasting BG is about that at present. She didn't explain that is equates to about 11 on the BG numbers so I'll be cutting out more from my diet to reduce this.

Plan on joining the 5%ers real soon.

Regards

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Lellie Ann.

It's just something you become a member of if your HbA1c is 5.9 or less. A benchmark that some people aim for. a virtual pat on the back !
Do you know what your HbA1c is at all ?

wallycorker

etoc said:
Hi,

I've just had my first A1c test since being diagnosed and the nurse said I was 8.2 which I thought wasn't bad as my fasting BG is about that at present. She didn't explain that is equates to about 11 on the BG numbers so I'll be cutting out more from my diet to reduce this.

Plan on joining the 5%ers real soon.

Regards

Hi etoc,

Stick with it - you will get there.

Best Wishes - John