A cure!

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry..it's late and I'm at work til 8am. Just read The National Diabetes Audit 2012-2013. Well, only a little bit..the bits I understood! It always seems these days that type 1 research gets shoved to the back. Type 2 seems to be more important now?
* sulks * I want a cure too.
You know how bad it gets? I DREAM of a cure. Like..weird aliens coming to earth and giving me a cure and taking all the complications of diabetes away. Or someone on the news is just like "oh yeah, we found a cure for type 1 diabetes..take this tablet. DONE!".
I can dream...

Reactions: 10 people

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't get me wrong. I know how bad type 2 is and I am fully aware that more ppl seem to have been diagnosed with type 2. Just wish it was equal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They are researching all the time for better treatment options and possible cures, so please don't think that they are just sitting on their hands. There's some exciting developments in the pipeline such as the Artificial Pancreas, yes a cure may be some years away but we must live in hope that one day diabetes will be a condition of the past.

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A vaccine (prevention) may be more likely than a T1 cure. But I would drink a bottle to that. If no one else ever had to go through what we go through, that would be a great thing.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A vaccine (prevention) may be more likely than a T1 cure. But I would drink a bottle to that. If no one else ever had to go through what we go through, that would be a great thing.

I do agree Spikes, from a personal point of view I'd rather see diabetes being prevented in the first place than finding a cure for those that already have it, it really breaks my heart to hear stories of children getting type 1, although if a solution was found for both then that would be fantastic.

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

Look up Viacyte as I think clinical trials will be done.
The srtificial pancreas is progressing and hopefully dual chamber pumps will be developed to take insulin and glucagon and will work in tandem with cgm so although this isnt a cure, its a lovely work around that will change many diabetics lives. Roll on the next 2 years.....

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Look up Viacyte as I think clinical trials will be done.
The srtificial pancreas is progressing and hopefully dual chamber pumps will be developed to take insulin and glucagon and will work in tandem with cgm so although this isnt a cure, its a lovely work around that will change many diabetics lives. Roll on the next 2 years.....

I'm hoping that will also replace the 'Sliding scale' for diabetic hospital in-patients too.

Reactions: 3 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 2 treatment is relatively easy picking for the pharma companies compared to the complexity of fixing a pancreas that has been attacked by the immune system (type 1). Plus, there are 10 times more T2s than T1s, so there will be more investment in T2 as it affects more people and more of national health budgets.

And by the way, I work on the steering committee for the NDA. The aim is to audit how well the diabetic nation is doing at controlling diabetes and the occurrance of complications; not investment into research, as far as I've been involved anyway.

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Research?? HA-HA ! Don't get me wrong but... It's all about money you know... They need You to be not healthy and don't even try to die too soon ! They need all your money ! :greedy:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Ilya83 there is commercially motivated research but there is also charity-funded and government-funded research, which does not have any of the motives you are suggesting.

And commercial research has brought us a lot of good tools to improve our quality of life.

Reactions: 6 people

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hah! This is ridiculous :D The big companies paying to government and buying all that patents. So we have NO chance. Admit it! Spiker don't be such a baby :dummy:

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems one way they could cut down on the amount of type2, would be to shut down junk food places & cut carbs in foods instead of fats as they do now,to which they add more sugar to replace the reduced fats, also cut the amount of saturated fats. Thus maybe cutting down on obesity.

Marty10000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
A type 1 cure is still a long way off, there still isn't a consensus about the root cause yet, which would be a good start. Hopefully treatment will continue to improve.

@Ilya83 there is a fair financial incentive for governments to invest in cures & better treatments for diabetes, it is already a big chunk of the national health care costs and it is getting bigger every year.

@Lucy-M we can hope that someone stumbles on a cure or full treatment, I have a sulk every birthday when I can't eat my own cake :(