For any who still think LCHF is a fad ...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's only sad if you don't accept it, learn from it, and improve on it.
You can believe humanity gets better, or worry it gets worse.
I'm in the first group.
Sorry to disagree, I was as a child deprived of many things including a diet that was a choice, my family didn't. We went hungry often and especially cold in the winter because of lack of suitable clothing, heating etc. since the seventies when the lower underclass in this country was certainly better looked after by the country as a whole. Things have slowly got worse again. The number of people who have had less than a living standard has increased year upon year. The food banks have rocketed. A new opens every day in this country! The working class ARE paying for the banking fiasco of 2008. The number of youngsters that have no viable working future is unbelievable. The housing stock is at sits lowest and completely unaffordable for eighty percent of the population. New high levels of personnel debt. The prison populTion is rising. Burglary is on the increase. Education, national health, sport, libraries, cost of living, need I go on?
I fear for the future for us Brits as the politicians pamper to the banks, multi nationals and the super rich!
They are completely ignoring the people who vote for them as they are bought and don't care!
Things are getting better? No way!

Reactions: 4 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Having just read "diabetes without borders", recommended above, I very glad that James and I did NOT come across it when he was diagnosed. It recommends way too high blood sugar levels, tells you that you can eat anything and that, unless you go under a fed-ex truck, you WILL end up on insulin. Sounds like a Desmond course and, no, we declined that, fortunately.
We went low carb. Drugs soon abandoned as "unnecessary" (the doctor's word, not ours) and never a blood sugar out of the normal range.
Sally

Reactions: 8 people
K

Kat100

You're right there Phoenix. Started with a simple message about managing T2 with minimal drugs, and in a short time it's gone off at several tangents. Odd.
Interesting ...and perhaps the thread was already being watched ....not nice at all ......
Maybe it's the games people play ...again not nice to play games then sit back and watch ....

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you've found a way of reversing a "progressive", potentially killer disease, you want to tell everyone. It's not playing a game, even if there is sometimes a twinkle in your eye, it's sharing something that could turn around someone else's life, just as those who posted about low carb, some 18 months or more ago, turned round our lives.
Sally

Reactions: 11 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Interesting ...and perhaps the thread was already being watched ....not nice at all ......
Maybe it's the games people play ...again not nice to play games then sit back and watch ....

I don't get what you mean Kat...It's a fair topic that has remained quite civil IMO.

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Having just read "diabetes without borders", recommended above, I very glad that James and I did NOT come across it when he was diagnosed. It recommends way too high blood sugar levels, tells you that you can eat anything and that, unless you go under a fed-ex truck, you WILL end up on insulin. Sounds like a Desmond course and, no, we declined that, fortunately.
We went low carb. Drugs soon abandoned as "unnecessary" (the doctor's word, not ours) and never a blood sugar out of the normal range.
Sally

I sure a bus would work just as well as a fed-ex truck.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, buses, fed-ex trucks and a low carb diet are all worth trying to stay off insulin.
Sally

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, buses, fed-ex trucks and a low carb diet are all worth trying to stay off insulin.
Sally

I'm sure when the cook book was written, you stayed off insulin as well, and wouldn't have the risk of a fed-ex truck either.

K

Kat100

If you've found a way of reversing a "progressive", potentially killer disease, you want to tell everyone. It's not playing a game, even if there is sometimes a twinkle in your eye, it's sharing something that could turn around someone else's life, just as those who posted about low carb, some 18 months or more ago, turned round our lives.
Sally
Playing games in a way where people are played games with or talked about ....content does not have to be about diet ...
However I am pleased that people find a diet which works for them ....
Twinkle in my eye ...at my age ...nooooo way .

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sally
Indeed. Ms Oppenheimer's book in the OP's link makes sense to me (apart form the large onion bit!) It perplexes me that the current NHS guidelines are so far removed from her suggested diet. I was fortunate to meet some low carbers when I joined here who shared her ideas about diet. It has really changed my life around.

Reactions: 4 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Grains were staples as far back as 8000BC or so, from the findings in caves.
Far back enough for me.
But today's grains have very little resemblance if those grains and loaded with gluten which no man can complete digest and the last couple years the knowledge of what gluten can cause including non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Gluten together with sugar cause problems with the microbiota in the gut leading to many diseases and conditions.
Comparing the wheat we have today with the wheat in the 50s will show you a huge difference.BTW when human started eating grains their health got worse, caries and stunted height.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
...................BTW when human started eating grains their health got worse, caries and stunted height.

@modesty007
I would be interested to see the links for that, and what period it states humans started eating grains, and what evidence they're giving for that conclusion.