Is this diabetes

thecrazy1

Hi all

I have just been to the doctors and my blood test results are hba1c 6.5% and fasting 6.1 but the doctors say I am diabetic. I thought it would be pre diabetes. Any ideas?

Thanks

thecrazy1

So why has she said I am diabetic and not pre my lart dasting blood was 6.9 so it has come down and yet she still is saying I am diabetic

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c says you are 47.5 (in new measurement units). 48 and above is diabetic, but you are so close as to be either one or the other. I would take the diabetic diagnosis because then you should be put on the care pathway, including retinal screening, foot checks, 3 monthly blood reviews and so on. That has to be better than being forgotten about.

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with bluetit and would add that whether it is pre diabetes or full diabetes it is time to do something about it.

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The distinction between the two is blurry at best surely as pancreatic function must be diminishing in that blood glucose range if eventually an individual goes on to full blown diabetes. You are in a position to make changes that around move your readings back into the prediabetic range,as a well controlled diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Take their help! I'm being offered nothing and having to fight for it (prediabetic) because they can't/won't help me until I become diabetic. Trouble is I know complications don't just develop overnight and so I want treating as though I am diabetic. I suppose it's a strange thing to fight for - I'm not interested in the label (complicates my insurance etc) but given I'm only 39, I do worry about how long I have to develop complications from hyperglycaemia. If they're defining you as diabetic, you're so close anyway, I'd take it. As @Bluetit1802 says, it'll put you on the care pathway.

thecrazy1

Thank you I just did not understand it. My hba1c was the same about 2 months ago. I will take any help they can give me I started Slimming world several months back but my hba1c still went up. I was advised to cut down on the fruit though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slimming club diets are not always good for diabetics, other than helping you lose weight. Maybe you should think of cutting down on your carbs - all carbs that is, not just the sweet sugary ones. It is carbs that cause our blood sugars to rise because all carbs turn to sugar once in the system, and so do fruits and milk. If you need any advice, or have any questions, all you have to do is ask.

fugly54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dishonesty and bulls***, the way the country is being run, not being able to get out and excersize more or take my dog for nice long walks.
I was in a similar position 6 years ago, but because my GP couldn't be sure whether I was diabetic or not he sent me for a Glucose Tolerance Test (no needles lol). This was very simple and straight forward and took up about 2 hours of my day,
With the results from this test he was able to diagnose diabetes. So I would suggest that you ask your GP to send you for the test. He SHOULD then be in a better position to make a diagnosis and put your mind at rest.
Hope this helps - good luck,

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@thecrazy - in Canada an HbA1c of 6.5% or higher is diagnostic of type 2 diabetes, maybe it's different where you are. Anyway, you should get a home blood glucose meter and test yourself to see how your levels are doing when you eat your typical meals. The A1c is just a measure of the average blood glucose levels over about the last 3 months. Since your fasting level isn't super high, the 6.5% A1c is likely due to high post meal numbers.:pompous: As said above, a glucose tolerance test might be a good idea.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re your point about HbA1c not going up, the thing is it hasn't gone down. They are supposed to do 2 tests in order to confirm a diagnosis in people that don't have symptoms. Two months is perhaps a bit short but if things had improved in that 2 months then the results would have been lower (it's theoretically a three month test but is biased towards more recent glucose levels)
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us...vention/New_diagnostic_criteria_for_diabetes/