Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Mum/OAP

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I am writing this on behalf of my mum. My mum was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. She is 75 years old.
Her blood levels were 50 (we dont know what that means) and she has been started on oral medication called Metformin SR 500mg (1 per day at the minute).

We have been told little to nothing about being a diabetic. She was told to lose some weight (14st at 5" 3) and to do some excerise plus cut out all bread, biscuits and alot of sugars.

Can you please tell me what all I should be doing to help my mum especially in regards to diet, foods, lifestyle, changes etc. Really just anything that I need to know. I want to help her as much as I can but I am not sure what to do.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello caring. There are many posters on here who are very knowledgeable and will post and help you with your questions. I just wanted to say hello and welcome. My Mum was diagnosed at about the same age and found it tricky but we didnt have access to the internet and this site then. Hope you manage to help your Mum with food choices. :)

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello :) Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. I really do appreciate it. I just want to help as much as I can as she means the world to me. I would go to the moon and back if I thought it would help her. I shall look at all the information on this site and try to learn as much as possible. Thank you once again.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Fifty is a very high glucose level in the blood.
That needs to come down sharpish.
You'll get loads of advice on here ... you have come to the right place so don't go away thinking you're beingh ignored.
Not many people on the site all the time.
Three times I started typing out some dietary advice and three times I deleted it.
I'm still learning for myself and don't yet feel comfortable in my knowledge about diets.
I will say this ... for me I've gone on the low carb ... that means as good as no spuds rice pasta breakfast cereals and plenty of healthy fats ... butter cream olive oil fried breakfasts .... I bet that's confused you!
Didn't make sense to me either when I first turned up here but ... I've lost a stone in six weeks while thouroughly enjoying my grub.
Doesn't come off straight away so don't lose heart when for the first month you lose three pounds and the next day you've put four back on.
Once the weight starts yo yoing it seems to be a sign that it's shifting ... suddenly you start to lose on a steady basis.
The amount of people who join up here to care for someone else renews my often flagging faith in people.
Stick with it and us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First if the number of 50 is for the HBa1C then it's not too bad as it's 6.7% in old money. If it's a random blood test from a meter then it's seriously bad but I suspect it's the HBa1C test result. The diet advice given by the nurse/doc is a good start. Basically reduce anything made from refined white flour as well as sugar/fructose/glucose. Take note of all carbs on food packaging and not just sugars. In reducing the carbs you can increase protein and fats as needed to feel full. Exercise and Metformin will help but diet is the key and sadly most of the food in our supermarkets today is suspect.

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh thank you so much. I really do appreciate all this help and support. I really didnt have a clue what this level 50 meant and I asked the doctor. He said 47 is diabetic and he would like it to get down to 42/43.
Are these levels the same as the blood sugars 4-8 or is that something totally different?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@caring-for-mum I assume the 50 was an HbA1c reading. HbA1c for normal people is below 42 and is pre-diabetic up to 48 so your mum is only just into the diabetic range and should be easy to bring her levels down into the "safe" zone. The advice you have been given "She was told to lose some weight (14st at 5" 3) and to do some excerise plus cut out all bread, biscuits and alot of sugars" is a good starting point. You don't say how mobile your mum is or what her diet is like to evaluate if this is achievable. The exercise that is needed is not "run a marathon" just got for a walk for 20 mins after eating or walk up and down the stairs several times (about 150 to 250 steps). The reason you have been told to drop bread, biscuits, cakes etc is to try and remove flour based products from her diet as it can be worse than sugar in raising blood glucose levels.

When she cuts these foods she will naturally be dropping some calories. If she needs to replace them then look for other forms of food, berries can be good (be wary of fruit as it is naturally loaded with sugars) and nuts.

Hopefully the doctor/nurse will want to do another test after about 3 months and will be looking for some improvement.
Hope this is helpful...

edit: snap @Daibell

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

janmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi caring and welcome to the forum, I dont feel qualified to advise as im still a newbie myself but I will say youve come to the right place. Just wanted to say hello:)

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone THANK YOU SO MUCH. You really have no idea just how much all these means to me. I am only in my 20s and I am currently ill myself with a severe chronic illness so its hard to cope with everything. All this help means so so much and both my mum and I really appreciate all this. I really thank each of you ever so much.

K

Kat100

Hi caring , stay with it , so much new information to take in ...
Keep,asking for support so many kind people to help,you ....
50 well now you know what you are aiming for....
Lots of people can be over 100 when diagnosed , so glad it has been discovered now ....you now know what you are working towards , or getting an idea about it?..

Maybe you could see the reduction in numbers as a challenge to achieve if you can ...
It is great when you get rewards ....

Look after yourself and your mum .....
Let us know how you get on.?
You might what to plan what you are aiming to achieve , because it is so easy to panic ....don't panic ....it will all come together ...
You have been given some good information ....
But have a read and see what is best for your mum ....best wishes Kat

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
This is a good website for dietary advice on what to eat to reduce carbohydrates and lower blood glucose levels. You'll have to take it slowly, though, with your Mum's age in mind. The first things to reduce are anything made with flour or sugar.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I hope this information which we give to new members will help you to help your mum. This contains information on carbs which should be very useful to you. Ask lots of questions and you will get lots of answers.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@daisy1 @Etty @Kat100 @janmoore @Andrew Colvin This information is just amazing and just so helpful. I am reading it all and telling my mum about it. We plan to work together and discuss all concerns and worries.
Tomorrow we are going to go through her foods and make out a new plan for her to follow. I also suggest in weighing her each week to see how things are going plus work towards her doing that bit more exercise.

May I still ask for help or guidance if I get stuck? I do not want to be a hindrance as everyone has their own worries, problems and hard times. I just want to thank each of you for the support understanding and care that you have given us both already. It is most appreciated. X

K

Kat100

@daisy1 @Etty @Kat100 @janmoore @Andrew Colvin This information is just amazing and just so helpful. I am reading it all and telling my mum about it. We plan to work together and discuss all concerns and worries.
Tomorrow we are going to go through her foods and make out a new plan for her to follow. I also suggest in weighing her each week to see how things are going plus work towards her doing that bit more exercise.

May I still ask for help or guidance if I get stuck? I do not want to be a hindrance as everyone has their own worries, problems and hard times. I just want to thank each of you for the support understanding and care that you have given us both already. It is most appreciated. X
Hi caring , ask away as often as you like , we are all here to help and support each other ....x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a wonderful daughter you are. Your mum must be so proud of you, especially as you are so young with problems of your own.
Of course you can come and ask as many questions as you like. That's what this forum is all about.

Has your mum got a home testing kit? If not, it would be a good idea to buy her one. You can use it to test how she reacts to different foods and combinations of food in a meal. This way you will learn what she can or can't cope with portion-wise.

Good luck to you and your mum

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kat100 Thank you ever so much :) @Bluetit1802 My mum just means the absolute world to me therefore I would give my own life just to help her and others. The way I like to look at is, everybody is a somebody and everybody deserves to have a somebody to love and care for them. Things like that dont come with any terms or conditions as far as im concerned.

If I can be of any help to people in this forum I will. Anything that I can do or say just to help, please just ask.

May I please ask what exactly a home kit is and where could I buy one? If it is something that will help I will get one for sure. X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a blood glucose monitor. You just prick a finger, then put the drop of blood on a strip in the machine and it reads off what her level is at that moment in time. You can get monitors very cheaply. It's the strips that cost money and these vary wildly. So if you look on line make sure you know what the strips cost. Many people on here have the SDCodefree (Amazon stock them) as they seem to do the cheapest strips. We all think they are an essential tool in learning the ropes with this disease. If/when you get one, come back and someone will explain how best to use them.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Oh thank you so much. I really do appreciate all this help and support. I really didnt have a clue what this level 50 meant and I asked the doctor. He said 47 is diabetic and he would like it to get down to 42/43.
Are these levels the same as the blood sugars 4-8 or is that something totally different?

Hi and welcome from me.

You've probably gathered by now from the other replies that the 50 number is what's called an HbA1c. This is a measure of blood sugar that combines with haemoglobin in the blood and so stays there for 2-3 months until the blood cells are recycled. As such it's the main diagnostic indicator because it is largely independent of 'spot' readings. 50 is not that high (I was 65 when diagnosed) so with some changes in diet and lifestyle it is eminently do-able for your mum to get her blood sugars back to pre-diabetic or non-diabetic levels (even though she would always be diabetic and have to keep up the regime as far as possible). It's never too late to successfully manage T2 diabetes.

@Bluetit1802 mentioned a blood glucose meter. Many of us use the SD Codefree (from Amazon etc) as this has the cheapest strips. Will your mum get these prescribed? It's not common but it's maybe worth asking. Also ask for a printout of her diagnosis test results - there may be other tests on there (cholesterol etc) that would be useful to know and ask about - too many doctors operate on a need-to-know basis and don't volunteer anything.

Don't worry if it's a bit overwhelming at first. You've done the best thing for you and your mum by coming on here, and answering questions is what we do. And we've all been there already.

fugly54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dishonesty and bulls***, the way the country is being run, not being able to get out and excersize more or take my dog for nice long walks.
Hi caring-for-mum. Firstly I'd just like to say God Bless You for being such a wonderful daughter (I'm blessed with one too) and I hope your own illness gets better soon. Secondly, make sure to ask your GP to arrange a Medical Exemption Card for your mum, which will entitle her to FREE prescriptions. Also, ask him/her (or your mum's diabetic nurse/clinic) for a Blood Testing Kit. If your GP can't or won't give you one this website has a banner on the main page offering a free meter so, once you receive that, you'll just have to ask the GP to prescribe the test strips and lancets for that specific meter (obviously free once she has her Exemption Card) and then you'll be sorted.
Hope this helps and good luck,