How many of us are following the low-carb diet?

Trinkwasser

jane.owen37 said:
Nobody seems concerned about the weight I'm finding it really hard to lose! About 5 months before being diagnosed I was (mostly) on a wheat-free diet and was losing weight and then I was told by the dietician to eat the foods I'd been cutting out and guess what yep the weight didn't come off anymore!!

See, you're learning already!

The meters are cheap but the strips are expensive: however it's well worth getting one as you will then see that all the foods they tell you to eat more of will put your BG up, and that will lead to the weight gain.

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

See, what they didn't tell you is that if you stop eating all that nasty dangerous fat and replace it with nice healthy starch, your body will happily turn the glucose into MORE fat than you would have eaten in the first place . . .

dorigen

I've been diagnosed for three months now and it's the only way I can control my blood sugars.
ONly have brown rice in small quantities maybe twice a week - anything else is a nightmare.
Also helping to control weight - 1 stone gone since diagnosis. I would have called myself a carb addict before this but now that I don't have them the craving has stopped and I feel so much better.

sixfoot

Dorigen its quite simple really , its what they dont tell you that tells you what you need to know ........... if you follow me. Or failing that just read the success thread.

Good luck
Dave P

jane.owen37

I'm so glad I posted on here thank you all for the much needed advice. It's like having new friends, it's difficult to talk to friends and family when they don't understand what you are going through!! I'll let you know how I get on.

Jannie xx

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
when i saw my new dietian and she agread that high carbs should be avoided or not more than two at a time why do only a few still only say this when you put so much trust in them wether you decide to go low carb or not is entirelly your own choice but you cant argue with the results and can still eat plenty

Trinkwasser

dorigen said:
I've been diagnosed for three months now and it's the only way I can control my blood sugars.
ONly have brown rice in small quantities maybe twice a week - anything else is a nightmare.
Also helping to control weight - 1 stone gone since diagnosis. I would have called myself a carb addict before this but now that I don't have them the craving has stopped and I feel so much better.

This is so commonly reported that I fail to understand why more medics haven't yet cottoned on

sixfoot

Probably because the perception at large is that its faddy and dangerous............... a bit like inventing the aeroplane.

Dave P

eunice

HELP i cant find the page with the diet on.i want to refresh and find more info. i think i am having a semior moment. eunice

maddie

Hello everyone - my first post to the site today.

Started low carbing a while ago (after reading the various forum strings). It is hard (as anything made with potato is fine with me) so I'm trying to stick to it as much as poss. I must say I do feel better especially now have more energy - BIG plus is I'm now 9kgs lighter (and still going). Woo Hoo!!

Due to have my next review in May so will be interested in the results on this one - my DN knows how I've struggled with my weight andmy last set of medication made my weight head for the sky.

Still getting weird morning readings which I raised on my last review but as my results were improved didn't seem to be an issue. Could this be something to do with the "Dawn Effect" I wonder?

regards
Maddie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi maddie.
welcome to the house of fun :lol: Oh, and we do serious too :(

Your weight loss is fantastic - keep it up. You have obviously found what works for you. I know it can be hard but everyone here is supporting you. It will just get better and better.

Take care
Ken

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I started off low carb about a year ago when diagnosed as type 2, but was always tired and hungry, Definetaly not low carb now just avoid suger and too much salt. I do avoid bread though as this is the one item that makes me spike high(14 ish). My last hba1c was 5.9 and my pre meal reading are at 6ish and 1 hour after food about 8ish, so im either NOT diabetic or the carbs are OK for me....long may that continue

Brian

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Brian.
Have you checked two hrs after food to see what Bg level is then ?

Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:
Fasting blood sugar under 5.5 mmol/L
One hour after meals under 7.8 mmol/L
Two hours after meals under 6.6 mmol/L

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
I'm on low everything low carbs fat sugar and low gi.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
rogbert said:
I'm on low everything low carbs fat sugar and low gi.

SNAP !!!

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
cugila - yes i do check 2 hours and id say half the time im floating arund the 6 mark sometimes 7-8

Brian

cugila

Master
Dislikes
brianb said:
cugila - yes i do check 2 hours and id say half the time im floating arund the 6 mark sometimes 7-8

Brian

That doesn't sound bad at all. Obviously what you have eaten will have aan effect in the random spike.

Good luck and keep monitoring.
ken

Moragwalker

Hello
I dare not eat pasta as it has loads of sauce which makes my sugar levels far too high then I have to go to the loo far too much which is not a good idea. The rice is ok (but not enough) though but I have to have it with carbs as it makes the sugar level too low. There's never a happy medium.

Best wishes from Morag