BYETTA

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Sue.

Well done with the weight loss. That is very good.

As for Bananas - just remember this a banana free zone from now on. :lol: :lol:
( I love 'em too - they are a treat if my Bg is down low ! )

Ken

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

jude when i am on byetta my ibs slows down because byetta keeps your food longer in the stomache although you can get sickness with byettapreviosly as i said i was 9months on byetta and i felt great really because of the weight loss i had an enlarged liver on my scan but then a lot of diabetics have an enlarged liver so i was told you see if you eat mostly carbs yer thats ok for the ibs but not good for the diabetus i went on the expert course that helped a lot youlearn a real lot about carbs diabetus ibs yor diabetic nurse can arrange that its a six week course i learn bits off here too dennis has been very helpfull i am trying to cut my carbs a bit if i have jacket potato i try not to have bread as well in the day especially if i had cereal too many carbs i have vedge or salad but salad upsets my ibsi tried imodium and fibre gels but they not good togetheryou end up with a bowel that dont no what its supposed to do fibre i had ibs real bad last week real bad doctor gave me some spasmodic forte tablets 1 3 times day they stop the bowel spasms and calm it down i took them for few days i am ok now its settled down and by the way you can have byetta if you have ibs it helps ibs good luck jude maybe some others will come on and talk about ibs now we have spoke about it talk soon take care :)ps metformin dont help ibs jude

SUSIEP

Dislikes
Don,t like the gym!!!!

Well I think I am slowly learning!!!
Bloods this morning - 6.0
Bloods 2 hours after lunch - 7.9
Got rid of the bananas :( and had ham, tomato, cottage cheese and an apple (can I have mars bar PLEEEASE) :lol:

Sue

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Sue wrote: can I have mars bar PLEEEASE) :lol:

Sue.
You are allowed Mars Bars anytime. You just can't eat it !!!!!!! :p

sixfoot

POINT TO WATCH !!!!!

Ive been using Byetta since April 08 with no probs at all. Today however did my normal jab this afternoon withdrew the pen and took finger off the button. Oh look a little spot of blood floating in the pen !!! It does warn against this in the pamphlet and if it occurs not to use the pen.

So ive had to get an emergency prescript for tomorrow with all the usual palavre.

For all, do make sure the button is fully depressed to deliver the dose.

Dave P

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Dave,

By reducing the pressure before the needle was fully out what you have done is create a partial vacuum which draws and blood back up the needle and into the pen chamber. I've done it a couple of times as well!

chris_h

Dislikes
Rap, grung and annoying people.

Was on Byetta last year and was taken off of it, as I am alergic to Metformin, (They took me off of insulin to try byetta and metformin) the hospital I was under would not give me insulin and byetta together, have now changed hospitals and am now back on the byetta with my insulin and have lost 10lb in one week, with this and a low-carb diet, am on cloud nine at the moment and hope to keep loosing like this until down to my goal weight. no side effects on both so can't see what all the fuss is about, the care I am getting at the new Hospital is brilliant, as the diabetic nurse at the old one said to me 'Oh, your just a type 2, so get on with it' :evil: Has anyone else been told something like this.

vivkaroo

Dislikes

hiya dennis well real good news first week over on my byetta lost one and half pound this week at healthy eating club real pleased and not like last time hardly any sickness but changed my food bit staying off carbs a bit still having some though no probs with the injections but testing more had to order script for test strips run out before next one due blood sugars fine coming down nearer to 5 and 6 now but its always about 5 before bed is that bit low or ok dennis highly pleased loads of energy think you can uncross your fingers now sir dennis :lol: got good feeling this time nighty night i gotta go gotta use all this energy tommorrow :D

vivkaroo

Dislikes

hi susiep i love bannanas and mars bars there my favs didnt realise bannanas are bad for u really thanks for the advice hey just think you have eaten the mars just pretend till it passes i stand outside cake shop lick my lips and walk on its heartbreaking :( but we will all be supermodels soon :lol: :lol:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Viv,

That's a great start and I'm really pleased for you. A level of 5 before bed could be good or bad depending on what your metabolism does during the night. If your BS normally remains static during the night then it's not a problem, but if your BS normally drops during the night then you might be better to have a small amount of something carby just before bread to stop you dropping too low. As you haven't been back on Byetta for very long yet, its probably best just to leave it and see what happens. If you wake up with a night-time hypo then you know you need to go to bed with a higher BS.

Pumpkin

I have now been on Byetta for 5 weeks and 'promoted' to the 10 microgram brigade. (I am type 2) No side effects, good weight loss (8lbs), and have halved my amaryl to 2 mg. (Metformin still at 3000 gm per day). My morning BG remains unaccountably at 8.5 despite not eating overnight. My BG's used to be in the teens through the day but have now dropped to 4's and 5's. Yippee.

That's the background - here's my question. What's with this low carbohydrate stuff? I have read many references to a low carbohydrate diet here. I asked my diabetic nurse at the hospital about this and she dismissed it as a fad - said it sounded like the Atkins diet. So I have simply tried to eat healthy - and taken the image of a plate equally divided into three for veg., meat., and carbohydrates, as being the ideal. Am I doing wrong? Need I bother?

Thanks for advice.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

At the risk of being burnt at the stake - I lo-carb. It is not Atkins, shows what your Nurse knows.

My diet is lo-carb,low fat,low GI, low salt. I avoid Potato, Bread, Rice, Cereals, Pasta and certain Root Veg.
This diet works fine for me as shown by 1 1/2 stone loss in two months (with Byetta).
You will find all sorts of diet advice on here. Just do not think your Dietician is going to give you the best advice !
Find what works for you then see if you cannot resist telling everybody !!

Ken :D

sixfoot

Well i got my replacement pen today and shant be repeating the mistake with the plunger ................ Ho Hum its how we learn

Dave P

vivkaroo

Dislikes

hiya dennis thanks for reply i have been about 8s when i get up 5 or 6s at bedtime think you right need to suss things out bit more yet but great to even see 5s and 6s again lets hope i can keep it going blinking fingers get sore dont they :D strange though not really felt sickly but early days so much more energy guess it must have been the metformin when i was on first time made myself nice music tape and i have a dance round bungalow not much room though will keep you informed on my progress jude sounded very upset about her ibs and diabetus if anyone can offer help sure she would be very pleased anyway (night sir dennis :lol: )

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Vivkaroo and others

Jude is very down & upset with the ibs and diabetes - but he is a she - Jude short for Judith!!

:lol:

vivkaroo

Dislikes

HI JUDE really sorry thought you were a man i have a friend called jude he is male please hope i have not upset you sorry sorry vivkaroo :oops: please accept my apologies :( i am always getting things wrong sorry x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Viv,

If you go through life and the worst think you have ever been called is a bloke then you won't have done too badly!

nabser

I am slightly confused by some of the information on here regarding lo carb diets,when i was diagnosed the dietician and my consultant endocrinologist told me to eat pasta and wholegrain bread and plenty of fruit and veg fish and potatoes and if i'm having chips only oven chips which i usually have once a week.As i posted on here earlier i am a bit of a freak regarding my blood sugars when first diagnosed 24/12/07 my sugars were 96.4 and i did actually die, but i test four times a day and they dont go above 5.9 usually 4.7-4.9.I take 10ml byetta twice a day and 1000mg of metformin three times a day.I went from 21.5 stone to 12.5 stone and before he put me on a cholesterol tablet my cholesterol was 3.9 he wants it below 3,my endocrinologist is a bit of a stickler and wants all my numbers to be tight and its what has happened but by eating what they suggested there was no mention of lo carbs.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Nabser,

The problem is that a diet that contains a high proportion of carbs is, in most cases, bad for a diabetic. This is because all carbs are converted into glucose, which then becomes blood sugar. Most type 2 diabetics are not able to metabolise the volume of sugar resulting from high amounts of carbs , so their only answer is to reduce the carbs in order to bring their BS down to a level that a combination of their own insulin and their medication is able to cope with.

For many years the medical profession has believed, based on what has now been discovered to be very flawed research, that a high carb diet is good for us. This is now believed by scientists (but not yet by the medical profession) to be the cause of the high levels of obesity that we see in the western world. Along with obesity often comes insulin resistance and thus diabetes. Unfortunately, until the medical profession starts to take a logical view of the effect that carbs have, particularly on diabetics, we are stuck with the dogma that a "healthy diet" must include lots of carbs.

If you read around the various forums here you will see a common theme emerge. People were diagnosed and recommended to follow a high carb diet. After months, sometimes years, of ever increasing blood sugars and increased medication, they have found for themselves that a simple reduction in the amount of carbs they eat reduces their blood sugar. It doesn't surprise me when many GPs and dietitians don't understand this, because their training in diabetes is negligible (something like 3 hours out of 5 years study is devoted to diabetes!), but I am staggered to hear of an endocrinologist who would advocate high carbs for a type 2. I am even more surprised at setting such a low target for cholesterol, considering that as recently as Feb 2008 a report was issued implicating low cholesterol levels with increased risk of stroke and cancer.

I am sure that this is not what you wanted to hear and must emphasise that I am expressing my opinion, but please do your own research on this.