Slow Cookers For Diabetics: Part 01 – Introduction

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Greetings,

This is the first in a series of postings dealing with recipes for diabetics using slow cookers. The origin of the series comes from a 'conversation' between forum user 'forge' and myself in forge's thread "Fun - Getting the most out of life".

The more I thought about it the more I felt that a short series of postings in which I gave recipes of varying types would be far more useful than one posting giving just a few recipes. I also took on board forge's comment that his household normally consists of two people but at present consists of three. One of my complaints about cookery books and recipe sites is that they mostly cater for four people but there are a lot of people who need recipes that cater for one person or for two. The need for recipes that cater for one person or two people can arise for a variety of reasons such as:

· You're single.

· You live with just your spouse or partner.

· You're the lone diabetic in a household of non-diabetics.

· You're the lone vegetarian/vegan or person with a food allergy in a household of omnivores. (I'm not a vegetarian but I eat a lot of vegetarian food).

If you come under any of those headings this series is particularly aimed at you. There are millions of recipes aimed at the "standard household" of four people and precious few aimed at people like us. Particularly for slow cookers it's very easy indeed to multiply a recipe for one of two people up. All you do is add extra amounts of the ingredients. However it can be very difficult indeed to divide a recipe for four or more people down. The result of this is that singles or couples either wind up throwing out food or they wind up eating the same thing to the point of boredom. For that reason the overwhelming majority of my recipes in this set of postings will serve one or portions.

As there are quite a few people who don't know what a slow cooker is I'm starting the series with this very long posting explaining what they are and how they work. In fact it is so long that I have saved it as a PDF file and uploaded it.

The next posting will deal with slow cooker types and some basic rules of food hygiene and safety as they apply to slow cookers - that too will be a PDF file. Once we have those out of the way I'll start posting recipes.

Mark.

Attachments

• Slow Cookers For Diabetics.pdf
    158.2 KB · Views: 412
Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Thanks GM that is "just what the doctor ordered" I look forward to reading it all.

We had our first meal from our slow cooker last night. We were all impressed.

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I search a lot about slow cookers and found a new device. They call it multicooker and you can cook there completely everything. In particular, steam, stew, bake, you name it. I'm trying to find a specific brand in here, it calls Redmond. Somebody mention it here in one thread, but I have no idea where to buy it.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Love my slow cooker perfect for shift work throw it on come in dish up and eat I will be following this thread with interest

Danae

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Use our slow cooker lots, especially when we're away. We take a motorhome to France with a slow cooker inside and a tandem on the back.

If we're tandeming we throw meat/chicken in the pot with veggies and stock, turn it on and go. Dinner ready when we get back. I get a shower whilst he preps whatever carbs we're having, he gets a shower whilst I cook carbs (if it needs cooking.......we do have french bread occasionally :eek:).

Do need the carbs when we're tandeming, it's a myth that the person on the back (me) doesn't have to put any effort in :D

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
excellent post!...will you be keeping this thread (so I can 'favourite' it) or doing a new one with each new posting?