Food confusion

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Hi, I am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic, like most of you I was blown away by my Doctor's diagnosis. At 5ft 5 and with a weight of around 9stone 2lbs did not think I was a likely candidate. How wrong can you be :oops:

I am still having trouble understanding the eating habits of a diabetic, as a former avid Chocoholic, who has always eaten a comparatively healthy diet, in just a couple of years not only did my sugar level go way out of control from normal, but my cholesterol did likewise. The sugar in some senses is easier to cut out because I know I had a sweet tooth, but have never really eaten high cholesterol content food, always tried to eat recommended healthy food. I have now found that many food manufacturers cater for one or the other but not both. I used to love Activia Yoghurt, but have found this supposed healthy brand is high in sugar. The only yoghurt i can find is Greek zero fat, plan yoghurt with no sugar, and it is luckily very nice. However, I have supplemented my chocolate with fruit and nuts, but keep hearing that fruit is high in sugar (though my doctor said it is slow burning and must be eaten in moderation), but what is moderation for a diabetic. I stopped eating bananas, then someone I know who is diabetic is on a doctor's diet seems to eat quite a bit of fruit. Can you please advise what is considered a reasonable amount of fruit each day. Also, I eat plain porridge with nothing on it, except skimmed milk, each morning. I eat lots of rice and pasta, as I am told they are good for keeping up sugar levels - am I doing the right thing. I still have issues about good and bad saturates can someone please help me understand these, I scrutinise every label for fat and sugar content, a colleague at work told me that 10 in both sugar and fat is a good guide line, over is a definite no-no, under the lower the better!

Hope someone can help, as i have now given up my blackberries, blueberries added to my daily porridge and plain yoghurt, life it becoming somewhat stark. I thought of buying Anthony Worrall receipe book, anyone recommend that please?

I am getting used to this bland new diet slowly, but some days it is rather disparaging as I suddenly realise this is forever, not just a phase :?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Exchoc, do you have a test meter? The thing that jumped out at me from your post is the fact that you eat a lot of pasta and rice.I advise you to test before you eat a meal of pasta or rice then test 2 hours later to see what your sugars are like.Some people's sugars go sky high with pasta or rice or potatoes,the starchy foods.Again don't give up on your fruit but test before and 2 hours after to see what effect adding blueberries etc to your porridge has.It's all a matter of trail and error until you come to understand what works for you.It's interesting experimenting and once you have a sort of short list of dishes you know are good for your sugars then you can start adding things to make it more interesting.Just because you're a diabetic does not mean you have to give up everything,even chocolate!!The 70% chocolate does not have so much sugar in it as the others so the occasional nibble will be OK.Try eating it as part of a meal so that it gets broken down more slowly.

garrycrone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Sue is right. Everyone is different and you need to test before and after while you find out what is good and bad for you. Take bananas for instance, they don't cause me too much grief yet my friend goes off the scale when he eats them. Similarly chinese food sends my bsl bonkers but once a month I can live with that. With regard to food in general, keep a food diary and test regularly. You will soon get to know what is good and bad for you. Generally cut your carbs down, ease off the red meats and dairy products, try and increase your green vegetables etc. I was really pleased to see you are reading the labels on your food before you buy as this is a good thing to do particularly with the saturated fats - cut them right down and substitute them for olive oil. I use a small sprayer you can get from Lakeland plastics to just "dust" the pan or whatever with oil. That way, I can still cook but my fat intake is greatly reduced and even then, it is olive oil as opposed to any animal fat based product. Mind you, my Mum still cooks chips in lard in her chip-pan; again once a month I sin but I need to balance my emotional life with controlling my sugars otherwise I would go totally bonkers. Remember there will be some days when for no logical reason at all, your bsl is high. That is part of the condition we live with. On those days, knock the carbs right off and eat small regular portions. It may be stress, tiredness, anxiety, the weather (eg hot days) etc. As you get more used to the condition you will get to recognise the symptons of high and low bsl. If I am high I get very sleepy and tired; if I am low I become a real grumpy so-and-so but four years in I am getting better at this helped in the main by other diabetics. Good luck and remember, if you want to know anything, just post a request on the forum. You will get more sense here than reading any book or speaking to a doctor. We live with it every day. Take care. :mrgreen: