Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd start a thread in an effort to get some discussion going across a range of forumites. I'm also just tagging the Mods, so that we can be reasonably confident that points raised will be read by them.

So, down to business.

I have noticed over recent times that the forum appears to be turning into a fractious, combative place to be, which for a support forum doesn't feel quite right to me. Don't get me wrong; I don't believe that complete accord, at all times, is healthy either, because it brings out neither a range nor extremes of opinions on the topical points. In my view, one of this forum's strengths has been it's ability to tolerate many approaches, from the ultra low carbers to the GI guys, to the medicators (those who match their insulin to their ultra broad diet). I've also noticed that the forum has been getting quieter at what feels like should be peak traffic times – evenings mainly.

So, what does the forum think?
- What could we do to improve matters?
- Do we want our moderators to help us in any way?

Thanks for reading, and bring it on, but let's keep it civil, please.

Mods: @Osidge, @Robinredbreast, @anna29, @daisy1, @IanD, @janewatt

Reactions: 10 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think lots of people are quitting forums as there seems to be lots of negative replies, a difference of opinion is good but attacking other users is often used to invalidate their opinion.
People forget that reading is subjective to the reader, the written word can come across as flat with little emotion or some people mistake passion for aggressiveness
I know I can be very flat in threads.
Also some people who are on support forums not for support but to cause trouble so called trolls they usually get fed up and move on when people stop responding, sadly their not responding because they have left forum because of the trolls.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I too have noticed that it's gone quieter at most times and 'newbies' are not getting the basics from mods and one or two regulars are meeting and greeting.
As a community, we should be doing more to facilitate new members rather than going round the houses debating wether a persons particular diet is this that or the other.
I am so grateful that I joined this forum and have had some great debates about various topics and have met some very knowledgable and friendly posters.
Let's not screw it up people!

Reactions: 7 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,ve only been here about 4 months and have had alot of support but have found thats its getting quieter

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, does anyone in admin have statistics regarding recent forum use? Or is it just a perception that there are fewer posts, or that the nature of the posts is changing?

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
everytime i open my mouth someone reports me and i get a threat of being banned by the mods (not everytime but it feels like it) they also refuse to respond to my PM asking for clarification, i feel like my opinion is unwanted by many so im on the edge of exstinction, it used to be fun and i felt like i had a role to play, now i feel like it would be a better place without me, thats my personal reason for being quiet

please dont tell me how good or bad i am at anything (especially good), im not fishing for compliments or insults im just responding to the question from my point of view

or maybe im premenstral

report away ;)

Reactions: 12 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, does anyone in admin have statistics regarding recent forum use? Or is it just a perception that there are fewer posts, or that the nature of the posts is changing?

For me, it's a perception, but perhaps @Giverny could clarify for us? (Thanks in anticipation of a response, Giverny)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I have been using this website for only ten weeks and have found it really useful and I have really appreciated the help, advice and support that I have received. I find the first hand knowledge and the time given to answer questions superb .I have tried to give something back by welcoming others to the site. However I have been a little surprised at the arguments that have arisen between posters even on threads initiated by newcomers needing answers.

Reactions: 15 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a thought!

When I first joined, the signing on was pretty straightforward, however when the site wanted more info probably to stop trolls and the spammers, I found it beyond my techno knowledge. I was nearly put off and I got help from some posters especially @Brunneria.
Maybe, this is another reason why it has gone quiter.then again I may be totally wrong!

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I used to greet newbies but don't feel comfortable telling them what helped me because I've had criticism when I did this. So I don't see the point of answering if someone is going to come in and criticise what I say. I can't lie and say that what the doctors told me to do helped me because it didn't. So I am quieter because I'm fed up with the arguments. Personally I don't find the 'do what your doctor tells you' answers very useful. If people wanted to do just that they wouldn't come to a forum for advice. If I had done that I would still be taking the 6 drugs I was taking 5 years ago ( possibly with a few more too). I have given them all up now....yes with my GP's blessing. My only remaining drug is one I have been taking for a few weeks for depression. I would love to help others do this too, but don't feel I can here.

Reactions: 14 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I have been using this website for only ten weeks and have found it really useful and I have really appreciated the help, advice and support that I have received. I find the first hand knowledge and the time given to answer questions superb .I have tried to give something back by welcoming others to the site. However I have been a little surprised at the arguments that have arisen between posters even on threads initiated by newcomers needing answers.
I think that is a really good appraisal, @mo53.
Ii know my use of forum has changed over time. I no longer take as much notice of the backbiting that sometimes goes on. It used to bother me, but now I just read and respond to posts that are relevant to me. I try to ignore those that are seemingly confrontational. We should remember that feeling of confusion and despair when newly diagnosed needs to find clarity and support, rather than being further distressed by disharmony.

Reactions: 14 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I used to greet newbies but don't feel comfortable telling them what helped me because I've had criticism when I did this. So I don't see the point of answering if someone is going to come in and criticise what I say. I can't lie and say that what the doctors told me to do helped me because it didn't. So I am quieter because I'm fed up with the arguments. Personally I don't find the 'do what your doctor tells you' answers very useful. If people wanted to do just that they wouldn't come to a forum for advice. If I had done that I would still be taking the 6 drugs I was taking 5 years ago ( possibly with a few more too). I have given them all up now....yes with my GP's blessing. My only remaining drug is one I have been taking for a few weeks for depression. I would love to help others do this too, but don't feel I can here.

Yes, one thing that put me off greeting new posters was that there seemed to be a group waiting to pounce with their opinion of their method of control being the only way. It seems like point scoring, or a recruitment drive. Surely it is better to wait until a new poster asks a question before bombarding them with info that could be overwhelming?

Reactions: 5 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
To me-It appears that some members have more clout than others and can say whatever they want without repurcussion like they're untouchable somehow whereas I've been reprimanded and banned for silly reasons due to personal feelings and allegiances rather than forum rules and some people then wonder why I seem bitter. :grumpy:

Reactions: 12 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
when i see arguments arising, i don,t respond
i,m very grateful for the help that i have received

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Think we need to answer the questions from OP-

"So, what does the forum think?
- What could we do to improve matters?
- Do we want our moderators to help us in any way?" Ie how can they help....

Put up new posters in GP Practices.. Make sure they are changed regularly so that people are aware of external help. Ask PPG members at your Practice if they could ask the Practice Manager to display them.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think we all agree that the welcome to newbies should be given by the information that @daisy1 gives out and then what follows is what I've seen recently about all the relevant websites that can viewed eg diet doctor. (Btw) I still can't do that thing you do to paste websites to your post)
If this would help everyone!
We should still be able to use our own experiences to answer questions on certain conditions that posters suffer alongside their diabetes.
Just a suggestion!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
everytime i open my mouth someone reports me and i get a threat of being banned by the mods (not everytime but it feels like it) they also refuse to respond to my PM asking for clarification, i feel like my opinion is unwanted by many so im on the edge of exstinction, it used to be fun and i felt like i had a role to play, now i feel like it would be a better place without me, thats my personal reason for being quiet

please dont tell me how good or bad i am at anything (especially good), im not fishing for compliments or insults im just responding to the question from my point of view

or maybe im premenstral

report away ;)

You are not allowed to be premenstrual, so report, report, report ! :p:D

I haven't noticed if it's been quieter, as I have not been on for a few weeks as have been busy busy :rolleyes: Prior to that though, I had noticed that threads had become acrimonious over what seemed to be very little, and other threads were deleted or locked because of troll activity which seemed unfair to the original poster and the people who had responded with sensible replies. I feel it would have been fairer to delete the trolls and leave the other posts as they were . It must be so disheartening for a member to post a question, receive replies, respond, and then have the whole thread disappear.

Signy

Reactions: 16 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure it was a strain on @daisy1 , but I think it was excellent when she could be relied upon to greet everyone. Is it my imagination, or is Daisy not in evidence quite so much these days?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Quieter, may be but still a lot of posts, many that seem to pass me by and I find then days later and do not get notifications.

I do like to greet the new comers because if we don't then the forum will become quiet. All forums ebb and flood and we are just in the ebb at the moment. I am sure we will get a flood soon when andy and paul can both receive a new warning just so they feel like they are home again :D

I agree that we should not get into naval gazing disagreements within a newbies thread. That will just drive them away! May be we should have a sub-forum just to discuss all the political directions regarding life styles. How about call it the "Diabetes Lifestyle Debate Sub Forum". We currently have a diabetes discussion forum so this one would be just for diametrically opposed views.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There a new poster waited nearly 45 minutes and no one has replied yet. It's prime time! Not good!
The fact that someone is waiting that long says everything about the original posters questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.