Struggling to lose weight

andyrobo

Hi there,

Andyrobo here - female diabetic diet control only!

I have been diagnosed diabetic for nearly a year now, and HBa1C levels are around the 6.1 mark, with new tests due next week. That is ok, and I have been through the dietitian etc route, been given the usual health care advice of high card, but generally ignored it!

However, I have not managed to lose very much weight - probably half a stone, when I could really do with losing at least another 2 stones. I have tried the usual weight watchers and Slimming World routes, and spent a small fortune, I eat small amount of carbs, but still the weight does not come off.

I do exercise several times a week - going to the gym, and people tell me I am looking slimmer, but it is not showing on the scales! I have a desk job, but go out two or three times a week at lunchtime for a walk, use the stairs, etc.

I read on here of people losing several stones, and feeling great, but I am struggling, feel tired all the time, not sleeping well and constantly needing the loo. I cannot see that anything has changed since last year, so perhaps the only thing is medication of some form?

Where am I going wrong? It is depressing, as I cannot see how anything can change, I am destined to be this weight for ever - over the last 10 years I have been around this size, give or take half a stone.

Thanks for listening - got appt with diabetic nurse on 20th April,

Andyrobo

deadwood2

I'm not an expert - unless you count 45 years of diets!

The only incontrovertible truth is that if you're on a diet and not losing weight, then you're consuming at least as much energy as you need. If that's making you feel ill you need to seek medical advice before either cutting intake or increasing output.

The difficult thing about exercise is the idea of it gets more unappealing the less you do, so it's quite easy to mess about making yourself feel unwell, convincing yourself that you've worked hard but in truth doing nothing worthwhile. I'm a master at it :lol:

You may need to review your exercise regime? Less vigorous but for longer periods and more often? Always worked for me!

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
Well you may be losing fat but putting on muscle, and of course muscle weighs more than fat! I always think looking at scales often does you no good; if people say you are looking slimmer, then that's great! Do you necessarily agree with them though? For most people, calculating your body mass index (BMI) is a good way to know if you need to lose/gain weight. Ask your gym for a fitness plan if you haven't already asked for one, and if you can afford it, a personal trainer is the best way to go that extra bit further at the gym.

To calculate your BMI:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Oh and always make sure you eat breakfast!

deadwood2

lucati said:
and of course muscle weighs more than fat!

Technically true, yes, but the difference is so marginal as to be not worth worrying about. On the popularly quoted SGs our friend could, by my calculations, convert her entire 2 stone weight loss target from fat to muscle and only be about 2kg heavier than she is now. She'd have a lower body volume and different shape, granted. Oh, and she'd kick major *ss, too :)

I'd agree with the personal training programme (and trainer if affordable), and add "classes", be they pilates, yoga, circuit training, spinning, aerobics - whatever. "Classes" that aren't financially centered on weight loss tend to have a greater team spirit and offer more encouragement than those that are.

Most "fitness" based classes focus on keeping the customer by achievement and maintenance, whereas most "weight' based classes know that the model is achieve, leave and buy your own franchise. Customer failure - sorry - retention, is therefore a key ingredient of the weight based franchisees' business plan. :(

Remember, no diet class co-ordinator ventures as far as Nether Piddle in the Marsh on a wet Tuesday night in January because they're concerned about your weight loss; their ability to pay their mortgage and your contribution to it, maybe, but they're not in it for friendship and altruism!

justconfused

For me the treadmill twice a day for 3o mins melted my kilos. I cut out completely on carbs, fat and fruits. Ate only greens, salads, and eggs. Later after kicking 10 kilos I introduced a fruit per day but only plum and some berries. I take cheese now. The trick is to exercise regularly.

Good luck !

Jo123

Agree with justconfused, I was only diagnosed with high fasting BG but with a family history of type 2 and adult onset type 1, I wanted to deal with it.
I upped my exercise from just 1 hr a day brisk walking the dog, I added another 45 minutes running or on the cross trainer 6 days a week. Plus I eat no obvious carbs such as rice, grains, cereal, bread pots, fruit other than a few berries, but I do consume carbs in the form of salads and veg. I actually had problems in the beginning losing too much weight at 5' 8" and 51 didn't want to go below 60 kilos (for vanity's sake). My husband has gone low carb and without feeling hungry (snacks on nuts and cheese) is losing a couple of kgs a week.
Good luck.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I added alot more walking to my schedule and cut out a lot of the junk food I used to eat. Then changed to the more nutritious food ie brown bread etc. The weight did drop off at first but then it stopped and nothing could shift it. Now I'm on orlistat for 3 months to see what happens. In 3 weeks I've lost 7lbs. The target is 1 stone for the 3 months so hopefully I can carry on after the 3 months are up. I feel much better in myself and healthier.

andyrobo

Thanks all!

It is hard to fit in the exercise with two young kids, but I am now trying to maximise the time spent at the gym, as the trainer there suggested that all this working in the right zone is a farce - jsut push yourself as much as you can, and for as long as you can - in my 40 min workout last night, I had some pumping tunes on the IPod and felt like I had done something!

I will read the Low Carb threads, and for the next few weeks concentrate on cutting down on the not so obvious carbs. I try to avoid pasta, potato and bread, but I guess there is more carbs hiding in the other stuff I eat!

I have my first annual check up in 19 days, so will see what happens there! Blood tests on Monday - yuk!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have,at last, lost some more weight. After 6 months stuck! I've been running ( by bus or car) back and forth to the hospital twice a day.No time to eat even the small amount I ususally do. I've got a bag of "ready" salad in the fridge and some cold meats. I've also had 1 low carb wrap and a couple of strawberries..
No! I'm not hungy. No time to be. Dogs and cats to see to too.

deadwood2

andyrobo said:
as the trainer there suggested that all this working in the right zone is a farce - jsut push yourself as much as you can, and for as long as you can

I assume he told you this on April 1st?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PS andyrobo
I do quite a lot of exercise and never found it got any weight off me at all. I am fitter though. Resting heart rate under 60( I'm 62 years old.)
However the only diet that evet worked for me is low carb. Weight Watchers only lost me £s even though I followed the rules to the letter. My DSN thought I was putting on muscle, but I don't find that good enough.
I walk everywhere if I have time and at the moment am losing weight with this business of husband in hospital. I've lost 4 pounds in a week! Rushing and eating only ready washed salad and cold meat on the run. Oh and I've had an apple somewhere along the way . BG in 4s and low 5s too.

andyrobo

Hanadr - glad to know that I am not the only one that exercise is not working for - the nurse said this was the key to losing the weight and keeping the numbers down - another HCP lie!!

I think the only thing I can do is to keep at it in the hope that I will lose some weight over the next few months - at this rate it will be 2012 when I will be slim!!!

Been to the gym today and enjoyed it, and it is great to have an hour to myself away from the kiddies

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Being preached at about low carbing
Hi,

I've been lucky to have lost 12 stone in the past 2 years and although it might not work for everyone the following worked for me.

I bought a much smaller plate - in actual fact as I love Winnie the Pooh I bought one of the kid's plastic plates. Got it in Woolies so no idea where you can get them now which is a pain as I put mine in the microwave a couple of weeks ago and it melted lol.

Psychologically, because the plate looked full I assumed that I was still eating the same amount as before when I was probably eating about half of my pre Pooh plate diet.

I also started counting the number of times I was chewing each mouthful lol. It helped me to slow the speed of my eating, as I had nothing on Taz beforehand. I'd read somewhere that eating more slowly is much better for you and also makes you eat less because the brain has more time to realise you're full.

The other thing I did was start walking. The furthest I used to walk was down the front path to the car. To begin with I used to walk to the shop and get my OH to pick me up when I'd done the shopping so I only had to walk one way. As time passed and I lost weight I was able to walk both ways and carry the shopping home.

Try not to expect to lose weight instantly. It's taken me two years and I still have a way togo. You will find that as you lose weight you'll be able to do a lot more which in turn helps you lose more weight.

Take it a day at a time, and if you have a bad day, don't dwell on it as he next day is a new start.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Congratulatiosn fuggsy... 12 stones in 2years. Fantastic. I really need to lose another 6 stones to feel more comfortable with myself. I've lost around 3 1/2 stones so far. Even if it all I'd still be big. Why do doctors/nurses expect everybody to be slim/skinny? :?: :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
gillyh said:
Why do doctors/nurses expect everybody to be slim/skinny? :?: :cry:

Have you looked at the staff in your local Hospital lately.
I think it's envy. :twisted:

gillyh

Dislikes
could be!! Some nurses.doctors I've seen need to take their own advice and lose weight. At one hospital appointment I saw one nurse who could hardly walk!!

mmackay20040

Hello,
I've just discovered this thread so I'm a bit of a late joiner but I'm also trying to lose weight and not getting on too great!! At the moment, I'm 15 stone and according to the charts etc, I need to lose 5 stone although I'd personally be happy with 3-4. Anyway, the problem is, as a Type 1, I've cut back all my carbs and all my boredom eating etc etc and have increased my exercise (well I say increase, begun to exercise is probably a more accurate phrase!) but I'm just not losing anything. I've cut down my intake of food by at least 1/2 but there's just nothing going. In the beginning, I lost about 8lbs but now it's all come to a standstill. Any tips from all of you amazing slimmers here? Just want to say a huge congratulations to you all on your weight loss to date. Keep up the good work and spread the tips!!!!
Any advice/tips/suggestions any of you could suggest would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Marie xx