Pizza....the enemy!!

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pizza has beat me. I eat a high carb diet 350g+ a day to cope with a strict exercise regime but I just can't cope with pizza at all. I use my dual wave option on my pump, pump in a bit extra too because of the high fat content but always under up with a high BG number. Has anyone any tips please?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I believe there is a way around everything.

Very true, but if it's problematic then it's maybe best to forgo the pizza and look for an alternative option. I'm not a pump user so maybe the members who are may advise you on how best to bolus for such meals.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I peak around 3 hours with pizza so maybe that is what is getting you. It is like having another meal straight after eating

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
This is what was posted on another site many years ago. I personally do not eat pizza but the method is very good for very high fat meals of any type.

>
> Here is the technique doctors often teach in Italy to deal with pizza,
> which
> I agree is not an easy task (even for Italian diabetics) especially when
> you
> eat pizza at night and, as you said, you can't really walk it off (and in
> Italy we love eating pizza at night!).
>
> The idea is that when you eat the pizza, you bolus (normal bolus) for the
> amount of carbohydrates you estimate for the amount of pizza you eat. For
> a
> whole pizza from Tuscany/Liguria (the zones where you are going), which is
> pretty light and thin, I would say about 90-100g carbs (a Southern Italy's
> pizza is often a bit heavier). Let's say you eat it at 8pm. This insulin
> should keep your blood sugar ok until 10-11pm. At that time you do an
> additional bolus for about 1/3 of the insulin you did before but as a
> Square-Wave
> Bolus over 4 hours. (If you do not do this additional bolus, values will
> go
> up during the night)
> In my case, it means 6 U of insulin when I eat the pizza and 2 more at
> 11pm
> (released from 11pm to 3am).
>
> I am not sure what's the theory behind this method and I was rather
> suprised
> the first time I heard it but... it does work quite well for me.
>
> However, Diana's suggestion of eating some salad or vegetables, I would
> add
> before or together with the pizza, will also definitely help.
>
> Of course, be careful if you try what I wrote you (i.e. test during the
> night) and... let me know!!
>

moz1

On mdi and I eat pizza many times each month and find that half amount of total bolus before meal then half two hours after meal works for me. I am waiting for a pump since Feb and think should be easier to program a rate which does this a bit more controlled?

ida92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pizza has always been a real challenge for me too. Last Saturday I had pizza for dinner, but this time I bolused 20 mins before i ate. And for the first time in my life my BG was 9 after 2 hours and actually stayed there. I'm hoping I just wasn't extremely lucky, but I'll definitely do the same thing next time. But of course, every diabetic is different, I think we all just have to experiment a bit to find out what suits us :)

the_exile

Pizza has beat me. I eat a high carb diet 350g+ a day to cope with a strict exercise regime but I just can't cope with pizza at all. I use my dual wave option on my pump, pump in a bit extra too because of the high fat content but always under up with a high BG number. Has anyone any tips please?

I feel your pain Sheil, having tried everything to try and conquer pizza, the only thing which works is eating pizza with the thinnest base you can (thinner base, less complex carbs to process) and splitting your dose of fast acting. I'm on a pump so I can spread my dose over a couple of hours(dual wave like you), but pre pump it would've been half just before eating the pizza and the other half an hour and a half later. Good luck whatever you try to do, pizza is just one of those things that we won't be able to fully control but there's no reason for us not to eat it, we can certainly keep things ticking along well enough with dual wave boluses, just don't eat a deep pan pizza!

dingbat

me too - nightmare. We have a local delivery shop that does pizzas on Brown or wholemeal Tortillas, I've made them at home and they're great and as some one else said fill you boots with toppings and tomato. (cook fast as well).

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am merely a Type 2 and diet controlled (OK Wife Controlled also but that's a different story) - As I am keeping to the diet control route for now and keeping my Hba1c below or at 39 I do tend to measure BG more rather than less often (It helps being in Scotland where my doctor doesn't limit testing facilities or equipment!)
Pizza and sausages are the two worst things for me - either of which sends my BG into the 10 plus with ease. I just avoid Pizza - it isn't exactly a difficult life choice - at least now the kids have grown up and left the nest!

Reactions: 2 people

Singhno1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want you could try a Cauliflower base BUT PS "DON’T expect bread like crust, it really is just a suitable vehicle for carrying a topping; but do expect a delicious and very “pizza like” taste with a rather nice texture, it’s all about cheating with the bread base whilst still keeping the essential pizza flavours."

Note I am not Diabetic, although last test did show a bit a indication of it. But my mum R.I.P. had T2 diabetes for some 6yrs for about 4 yrs she controlled it with vegetarian diet only... and then was on low dose of tablet.
She got this recipe for a base made with Wholewheat flour it was a thick pan type but delicious. I have tried it few times but has never been to that level yet.... but it never effected her sugar level. The only reason she went on medication was due to other medications for the illnesses she had been treated for. It just messed up her system after that. the reason I am sharing this is.... So if one doesn't have any other conditions or take any other medication to mess your system the sugar can be controlled with diet only(of course with your GP approval) All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Personally I avoid any forms of pizza or even
garlic breads .
They will only send my BG levels soaring far too highly .
Then am feeling sooo "ill" .

Took little time to lose the taste and need for one of these .
Over 5 years of time ago .
As the damage even a slice did - simply isn't worth the
risk for myself .

We are all different but to avoid is what truly works best with myself .

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I make my own and have no problems, I don't use too much cheese either, this is too high in fat. In a proper pizza the base should be thin, the thick ones are an American idea and indicate why they are obese.

I think a proper Italian recipe should help you out, they are fresh, tasty, filling and most of all a balanced meal

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I make my own and have no problems, I don't use too much cheese either, this is too high in fat. In a proper pizza the base should be thin, the thick ones are an American idea and indicate why they are obese.

I think a proper Italian recipe should help you out, they are fresh, tasty, filling and most of all a balanced meal

TBH I'm not a big fan of Pizza's but if I do have one I like it to have a thin crusty base, our local Italian Restaurant does a superb garlic pizza that is swimming in garlic butter :)

As with all high-fat meals I find split-dosing works best.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Why eat pizza if it's going to give you so much grief, is any food worth it

eleperes

Pizza is quite possibly THE best food in the world! It's easy to eat, it's delicious, and it fills you up. People who are saying "don't eat it" obviously don't share the same feelings toward pizza as you and I. Don't listen to them. Like CarbsRok said, have the amount of insulin you'd normally have for a very high carb meal (for me it's 6units), wait about 2 hours, and check your blood again. This will determine how much MORE insulin you should have the second time. If my blood was 12 after pizza, I'd have another 4units of insulin to counter it. Once you know this, you'll just know how much to do the second time without checking your blood.

Having said all this, I probably wouldn't go eating it every day. Have it as a once-a-week treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people