What a palava!

JanineM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing worth remembering for when your doc next runs tests, is that low carbing will affect the results of blood tests.

Both fasting BG and hba1c results are lower when low carbing - which is excellent news, of course! But if you move back to eating carbs there is no guarantee that your BG won't rise again...

Also, low carbing actually causes raised results in an oral glucose tolerance test (often used to diagnose diabetes). So if your doctor schedules one of these tests, you need to eat 150g (approx) of carbs a day for several days before the test, so that your body re-learns it's insulin response.

Yes that's what I thought. So do you think she's right saying she can't diagnose on one HBa1c test? x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're diabetic by the a1. And anytime you see over 11

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that's what I thought. So do you think she's right saying she can't diagnose on one HBa1c test? x
Well, I'm not the best person to ask.

Because I'm low carbing I'm currently dodging an HbA1c myself. My fasting levels were 6.5 and 7.5 when they tested, so they want to a1c me as a 'definitive test'. Except that I won't come off low carb to take it, hence the quick-step dodging action! They gave me an a1c a couple of years ago, and it made me feel so ill (headache, blurry vision, nausea and leaden limbs) that I feel justified - especially as I'm managing my blood glucose to lower levels than the NHS wants, by diet and exercise.

It's my understanding (may be wrong), that 2 x fasting BG tests over 7, or 1 x a1c test over 11 at 2 hours = a diagnosis.

But I wouldn't put much faith in that, frankly, because there are people on this forum who have exceeded those test results and not been told they are actually diabetic for months or years!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm not the best person to ask.

Because I'm low carbing I'm currently dodging an HbA1c myself. My fasting levels were 6.5 and 7.5 when they tested, so they want to a1c me as a 'definitive test'. Except that I won't come off low carb to take it, hence the quick-step dodging action! They gave me an a1c a couple of years ago, and it made me feel so ill (headache, blurry vision, nausea and leaden limbs) that I feel justified - especially as I'm managing my blood glucose to lower levels than the NHS wants, by diet and exercise.

It's my understanding (may be wrong), that 2 x fasting BG tests over 7, or 1 x a1c test over 11 at 2 hours = a diagnosis.

But I wouldn't put much faith in that, frankly, because there are people on this forum who have exceeded those test results and not been told they are actually diabetic for months or years!

Sorry Brunneria, I don't understand! Why should low carb affect an HbA1c test? Your signature says you had one in April. It is only a venous blood test, so why should it make you ill? You are confusing the HbA1c with the 2 hour glucose test I think.

They no longer diagnose diabetes in the UK with a fasting blood test because they don't give as reliable a figure as the HbA1c, which is an average of the previous 2 to 3 months. If a random or fasting blood test throws up a diabetic figure, you have to have an HbA1c test to confirm diagnosis. Most places do both from the same blood test for diagnostic purposes, then just the HbA1c after that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Brunneria, I don't understand! Why should low carb affect an HbA1c test? Your signature says you had one in April. It is only a venous blood test, so why should it make you ill? You are confusing the HbA1c with the 2 hour glucose test I think.

They no longer diagnose diabetes in the UK with a fasting blood test because they don't give as reliable a figure as the HbA1c, which is an average of the previous 2 to 3 months. If a random or fasting blood test throws up a diabetic figure, you have to have an HbA1c test to confirm diagnosis. Most places do both from the same blood test for diagnostic purposes, then just the HbA1c after that.
Drat!!!

You are perfectly right! Brain dead after a long day at work - I meant to be talking about Oral Glucose Tolerance tests.

Sorry about that. So, to correct the confusion I've caused -
Low carbing affects an OGTT so you should eat carbs beforehand.
Hba1c gets lowered by low carbing (thumb up!) which is a good thing, but may make your doctor think you are not really a diabetic... You can eat whatever you like before an hba1c.

Thanks for pointing that out, @Bluetit1802

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you seriously low carb. your bg will drop back into the normal range but you are still diabetic but diet controlled

When you LC it messes up a GTT sugar drink test

Reactions: 6 people

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Janine, looks like you are doing really well. Fortunately/ unfortunately I went on holiday just after diagnosis on July 7th. It was unfortunate because, like most people, I like to indulge on holiday. I am in Cornwall...land of cream teas, pasties, fish and chips and gorgeous ice cream. On the other hand I have decided that holidays are a good time to change bad habits as you are away from daily routines and pressures. I have managed to low carb for nearly two weeks now and have found it ok. Fell off the wagon once by eating a gooseberry yoghurt ice cream without the cone ....could be worse. What I am most confused about is the high fat thing. My GP did recommend a low carb diet( contrary to what seems to be official NHS advice) which I think is good. On the other hand she also recommended a low fat diet. She suggested egg white omelettes for breakfast! However, This forum seems to encourage high fat diets. My lipids etc were ok. I have decided to just carry on with my old level of fats , although that may actually mean a bit less without having butter on bread. I have not been able to weigh myself yet...no scales on holiday. I have bought a meter...but not had the courage to use it yet......building up to that one! Are you doing the high fat thing?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mandy p If that diet suits you, then you should continue with it, but please bear in mind that when you reduce carbs you also reduce calories quite substantially, so you need to make up some of those lost calories or you will lose too much energy. You can only make up lost calories by either/or increasing fats or protein. It doesn't have to be HIGH fat, just HIGHER fat. Or higher protein. Low carb and low fat isn't really sustainable in the long term.

JanineM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Janine, looks like you are doing really well. Fortunately/ unfortunately I went on holiday just after diagnosis on July 7th. It was unfortunate because, like most people, I like to indulge on holiday. I am in Cornwall...land of cream teas, pasties, fish and chips and gorgeous ice cream. On the other hand I have decided that holidays are a good time to change bad habits as you are away from daily routines and pressures. I have managed to low carb for nearly two weeks now and have found it ok. Fell off the wagon once by eating a gooseberry yoghurt ice cream without the cone ....could be worse. What I am most confused about is the high fat thing. My GP did recommend a low carb diet( contrary to what seems to be official NHS advice) which I think is good. On the other hand she also recommended a low fat diet. She suggested egg white omelettes for breakfast! However, This forum seems to encourage high fat diets. My lipids etc were ok. I have decided to just carry on with my old level of fats , although that may actually mean a bit less without having butter on bread. I have not been able to weigh myself yet...no scales on holiday. I have bought a meter...but not had the courage to use it yet......building up to that one! Are you doing the high fat thing?

I'm trying to keep my fats higher & being successful at low carbing too. Losing weight & BS levels much better :) The one sticking point is alcohol but only at the weekends & now I just stick to a couple of spirits with no mixer but loads of ice. I've lost half a stone (could be more but haven't weighed myself since Thursday) I must admit to finding it really easy. My Doc will say I'm not diabetic & have never been, I expect, when I have my next Hba1c in October because she doesn't diagnose on just the one test. But I think I'm just going to stick to low carbing anyway- as to be honest after self testing my sugar levels before the diet & after, she is wrong & I'm not one for taking risks!

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't the fact that I am consuming fewer calories when low carbing a good thing? Isn't that how I will lose weight? I have switched to full fat Greek yoghurt with berries for breakfast which is delicious, but otherwise eating my normal fat levels. Energy levels seem ok so far. I am definitely less sleepy in the afternoon by not having a sandwich at lunch time. I am also trying to up my exercise. I already did a reasonable amount, but have downloaded the app 10k for life, which people use when training for the cancer uk run for life run. Am on week two...I am also taking vitamin B12 . Are there any other bits I should take on a low carb diet?
Janine......I am sure you can have spirits with sugar free / slimline mixers like slimline tonic? Unless of course you like spirits on the rocks!
Mandy p

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't the fact that I am consuming fewer calories when low carbing a good thing? Isn't that how I will lose weight? I have switched to full fat Greek yoghurt with berries for breakfast which is delicious, but otherwise eating my normal fat levels. Energy levels seem ok so far. I am definitely less sleepy in the afternoon by not having a sandwich at lunch time. I am also trying to up my exercise. I already did a reasonable amount, but have downloaded the app 10k for life, which people use when training for the cancer uk run for life run. Am on week two...I am also taking vitamin B12 . Are there any other bits I should take on a low carb diet?
Janine......I am sure you can have spirits with sugar free / slimline mixers like slimline tonic? Unless of course you like spirits on the rocks!
Mandy p

Yes, consuming fewer calories to lose weight is a good thing as long as you don't consume too few calories or your body may go into "starvation mode" which lowers your metabolism making weight loss more difficult. It's a matter of finding out what suits you personally. If you feel well, aren't tired, and are losing weight gradually then you have got the balance right.

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well here I am back again after my three month review and......Hbiac down to 39 Yay! Overall Cholesterol down to 4.2 ,ratio down from 4.5 to 3.5 ,triglycerides down from 2.3 to 1.2 . I have been following advice on this brilliant forum to achieve this...low carbing and lots more excercise and eating to my meter
. Bought a couple of great low carb cook books ( the low carb gourmet and the low carb revolution) Doctor was gobsmacked! . I have also lost a stone. I may not have posted much but I have read lots of the advice on here. I am so impressed with the calm supportive tone of so many members to newbies like me who stumble upon the forum in a moment of panic....members like blue tit and Daisy 1 and many others I...I take my hat of to you. I am low carbing for life now and am recommending it to everyone. I feel as if I have been brought back from the brink...and today is my birthday too! What a great gift. So thank you. Stick with it folks.....it works!

Reactions: 10 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Mandy

That's a great birthday present isn't it? Very well done, we all like gobsmacked doctors! One day they might realise what carbs do to diabetics.

Reactions: 3 people

JanineM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone & happy birthday Many :) & well done too

You prompted me to post too! I have carried on low carbine & have now lost 2stone & got my HbA1c down to 42!!!!! Very very happy. Although the Doc's perversely do now accept I am diabetic lol.

Janine x

PS YES IT DOES WORK :)!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mandy, very well done. It's so encouraging to hear your news that low carbing works. Happy birthday:)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Great Janine, well done to you too :)! Double celebration!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone & happy birthday Many :) & well done too

You prompted me to post too! I have carried on low carbine & have now lost 2stone & got my HbA1c down to 42!!!!! Very very happy. Although the Doc's perversely do now accept I am diabetic lol.

Janine x

PS YES IT DOES WORK :)!
Well done JanineM too - keep up the good work! :) I am impressed that you have done so well.