Boots home testing kits

lisajane

Are those home blood glucose testing kits any good from boots? I got 1 today and did one of the tests. There is 2 tests in the box so il do the other one some other time. The test is meant to detect diabetes early or something like that.
I dont know what i have yet but i got a couple of yeast infections since xmas and i have been losing the hair on my legs which is weird. Some internet site mentioned diabetes so i thought il give the home test a try. Anyway the result of the test was 7 mmol . The information leaflet explained the results and this 7mmol is a little out of range. It said its meant to be between 4 - 6 mmol. I am not at all worried about it. But it also said that taking vitamin c within 24 hours can show the wrong result. Is this true?
I am not at all worried but just like to find the reason to the hair loss on my legs, even though it is great.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Lisajane,it depends when you took the test.Ideally you should take it first thing in the morning before you eat to give a fasting test.

lisajane

Thanks for that. The information leaflet didn't say that. I'l do the next one tomorrow morning. What is it meant to be if i was normal? And if i had diabetes, what should it show? Thanks

I already had a couple of blood tests taken by my doctor and they all came back fine. I am now beginning to feel so silly not giving up on this hair loss.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Quoted from Ken's post.

Current NICE targets : Fasting BG. No more than 7mmol/l
Before meals. Between 4 - 7 mmol/l
2 Hrs after meals. No more than 8.5 mmol/l

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I did a Superdrug home testing kit last June, it said to do a fasting test but the first one b*$%!#d up and the second one was over 8. I went to the doctors and their machine said the same (can't remember exact figure - 8.3 I think) Mind you, that was when I was over a stone overweight and my blood pressure was higher than I would have liked as well. All back to normal now though, since then I've lost 1st 5 (2 lbs to go!) my BMI is 23 and my average blood pressure is 115/70 :D

Trinkwasser

A major problem is that fasting blood glucose is often the last to go south.

My FBG is almost always normal but my postprandials have been everywhere between 11.5 and 3.5

Some more information

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

Would be worth buying a proper meter (Accuchek or One Touch, for example) and use it according to the instructions on the flyer on the above page

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
regarding the hairs on your legs,do you smoke?if so it could be the start peripheral arterial disease