Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi All

Still getting my ratio correct
I am finding that my breakfast, around 31g of carbs is causing problems. I am on a ratio of 1 unit to 20g carbs so really need 1.5 units for my breakfast meal. My novarapid pen is only in whole units? any advice on this please, should I round up to 2 units or down to 1 unit????

Many thanks

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I were you I'd ask for a pen that does do 1/2 unit increments, especially with a ration of 1:20. I'm sure they're out there.

In the mean time, I wouldn't round up or down. If I couldn't do a 1/2 unit dose, I'd change my portion size to 20 or 40g of carbs.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Novopen Echo dials up in half units.

Reactions: 2 people

psbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given a Novarapid Echo pen for the very reason that is works on half units. I was told it is normally given to children or people who are quite sensitive to insulin (i am the latter!)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Is the insulin in that pen exactly the same as that in my novarapid??

the_exile

Yes, the cartridges (whether embedded or disposable) will be the same, it's just that the pen is capable of dosing half units. I was in your situation a while back where I really needed a half unit, what I did was err on the sid eof caution and round it down, then do a finger prick test a couple of hours later to make sure my levels weren't too high, if they were a bit high it was easy enough to pop a correction in. But as most have advised above, see if you can get a pen that does half units, you're still in the honeymoon phase so your insulin needs will be in a state of constant change at the moment, don't get too disheartened with the odd wild reading, they do happen until things settle down and you enter into a more predictable routine.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

It's the same insulin, yes - but the pen is WAY better than the disposable ones... As mentioned it does half units, plus it has a really nice dial up on it with a very reassuring click when you inject... Plus it has a memory function on the base of the pen - which is also reassuring for nervy people like me who want to double check everything! ;-)

I've switched from Novorapid now - and I really miss the pen... You am also use it for Levemir if you use it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
How will I know when honeymoon period is over????

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How will I know when honeymoon period is over????

Your insulin needs will likely go up and your bg levels should become less erratic. btw, the NovoPen Echo is just the same as the NovoPen 4/5, except that it dials up in half units and has a memory function built-in.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the cartridges (whether embedded or disposable) will be the same, it's just that the pen is capable of dosing half units. I was in your situation a while back where I really needed a half unit, what I did was err on the sid eof caution and round it down, then do a finger prick test a couple of hours later to make sure my levels weren't too high, if they were a bit high it was easy enough to pop a correction in. But as most have advised above, see if you can get a pen that does half units, you're still in the honeymoon phase so your insulin needs will be in a state of constant change at the moment, don't get too disheartened with the odd wild reading, they do happen until things settle down and you enter into a more predictable routine.

That's one approach. I have the 1/2 unit pens for the same reason as the OP - I'm on 1:15 bolus. The problem is that if you are sensitive enough to insulin to need half unit doses to start with, then only being able to give corrections in whole units tends to end up in massive overcorrection and a hypo, or at least did so in my case.

Even with a half unit pen I very rarely correct for that reason. My main method for correcting a reading that was a bit too high would be to take a swift walk or some decent exercise later on and makle it drop that way.

Reactions: 3 people