STOPTOVER, Smoke free October.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Chin up Totto if I can anyone else can, never thought it would be easy. But thinking of long term benefits and seeing my other 3 daughters 22,20 & 11 getting married.

You CAN do this.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely enough while I spent yesterday moaning in bed I never really had any cravings. Today is different though, craving craving craving, I think I will have to start cleaning windows - hate that but it needs to be done.

Anyone else who has suddenly developed enormous appetite and thirst? I could eat a horse for brekkie and then another one for lunch.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this might interest fellow diabetics: As I didn't have a horse at hand I decided on porridge and milk. I also had a (very thin) slice of fried brown bread and two eggs. As suspected I soon went from 5.2 up to 8.1 but then it fell! And I was almost back to baseline at 2h! Imagine that. I never had so good readings on porridge with milk before and this time I added bread too.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Still off them, but feeling very tired today, not felt this tired during the day since diagnosed with D2 in May this year.

Hopefully it will pass, going for a nap.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope all the new non-smokers are doing ok. I know there are lots of statistics online about how quickly the body detoxes from some of the nasties, but I can't find anything but this stupid Stoptober campaign at the moment. My point is, however, that even a couple of days clears the system. Most of us will have started smoking as young and stupid immortals (or so we thought). Even as an ardent smoker I accepted that I would never have started as a rational adult. I hope that if I ever do get the urge to start again that rational part of me will turn around and say 'Are you f"£$ing joking?'

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
I hope all the new non-smokers are doing ok. I know there are lots of statistics online about how quickly the body detoxes from some of the nasties, but I can't find anything but this stupid Stoptober campaign at the moment. My point is, however, that even a couple of days clears the system. Most of us will have started smoking as young and stupid immortals (or so we thought). Even as an ardent smoker I accepted that I would never have started as a rational adult. I hope that if I ever do get the urge to start again that rational part of me will turn around and say 'Are you f"£$ing joking?'
But I am immortal lol

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for you JohnD54. Personally I was quite sanguine about reading that my smoking habit could cut my lifespan by about 10 years. Most of those would be the gaga-sitting-in-a-wet-patch ones, I argued. Then diabetes enters the equation and takes another 6 off (correct me, if I am reading the more scaremongering articles). It was all getting a bit personal.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Good for you JohnD54. Personally I was quite sanguine about reading that my smoking habit could cut my lifespan by about 10 years. Most of those would be the gaga-sitting-in-a-wet-patch ones, I argued. Then diabetes enters the equation and takes another 6 off (correct me, if I am reading the more scaremongering articles). It was all getting a bit personal.
@Helsin,
I know where you are coming from, however I have been quite fortunate so far, smoking no problems, D2 no ill effected SOFAR, but decided at 60 with 5 children it might be time to think about family, hence the change of lifestyle. I do mean lifestyle carbs & sugar no go, smoking no go.

What the outcome will be no one knows, but I do know I have been lucky with health and family, and having made the decision to change I feel I have to get on with it.

I still have 3 daughters to see married and their children, so having told my wife when we married some 23 years ago that I would live to be 100, feel I now need to put some effort into it.

Good luck and a healthy life for you all,the very best.

THE IMMORTAL lol

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@this is too difficult two,
I like many others here really enjoyed smoking. I never thought I would be able to quit and never really wanted to.
Being diagnosed with diabetes in 2013 probably has extended my life.
I eat healthy now and control my levels by diet only and this year have been able to quit smoking. No more out of breathness for me.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always know I would stop when I got diabetes and in my case it was when, not if.
I am rather attached to my limbs and can well remember when Dad almost had his foot cut off, they managed to save it but he had unbearable pains that made him unbearable to live with at times.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I can pride myself in saying that i gave up smoking on 7th January 2013 and have just past the 21 months marker post.I attended a smoking cessation clinic for 14 weeks and got help and advice.They prescribed me Patches and an Inhalator with 30 cartridges every 2 weeks.For a start it was hard but as time went by i got more and more confident and to this day have never touched a cigarette.Sure there are still the odd times when i think about em but i know in my own mind i have put a lot of work in to it and to start again would throw it all away.Im enjoying the benefits of not seeing my bank account forever going in the red like it was when i was smoking.I still use the Inhalator i buy carts every 2 months or so from Rowlands pharmacy website.They do offers of buy 2 get 3rd one free so for £46 i get 60 (3x20) i know its shifting from one habit to another but its still giving me nicotine hit without all the chemicals that are found in a normal ciggy.I use 1 cart per day.Id certainly advise all the smokers out there to give it up you can do it you need to be strong and give yourself a treat every month cos every month is an achievement.Think of the money youd save and the benefits to your health and your life span would be longer.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm in. Will quit on either October 2 or on the Monday after, depending on if I have to work the weekend or not.

Thats no good saying that you have to set a definate date and stick to it.Its not going to work if you say "Will quit on either October 2 or on the Monday after, depending on if I have to work the weekend or not" be strong be positive say i will quit on a set date.Best of luck to you you can do it use the same route as i did.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feel rotten now. Really rotten. I know it is only withdrawal and it will pass.

Yeah i felt rotten too 2 days after i quit i was poorly being sick and i took to my bed with cold like symptoms i couldnt keep anything down it was horrible and i know if i started smoking again id have to go down that road again giving up.No thanks that was awful i can tell you im keeping well away form the nasty things.I sure can smell the smokers on buses in the street etc and they smell bliddy awful thats how i used to smell to a non smoker.Yuk

phatkontrola1

I really want 2 quit this month. I have smoked since I was 14 and I'm 65 now. I think 4 me it's not actually nicotine addiction because I don't think about smoking if I am busy with something that ISN'T at the computer. I did start a No Smoking Diary where I made sure that I was conscious of every cigarette I smoked but.......I set October 1st as my quit date but didn't last very long at all. Now I have set 31st October 4 my next quit date. With reference to a comment about not really wanting to quit - the part of me that hasn't stopped enjoying cigarettes seems to override my brain and body which tells me I NEED 2 stop.