Diabetes and work

Lfranne

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an offshore painter and recently been placed on insulin. Government regulations say I had to be stable for 6 month before I could go back offshore but because my company had no work onshore and there was no guarantee I would be stable after the 6 month they paid me off. I am now stable after the 6 month so does my former company have any obligation to re-employ me thanks

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In a word, no. Generally a pay off is exactly that, but it really depends on what you mean by "paid off".
If your employer terminated your contract and the pay-off was some sort of agreed compensation package, then I would suggest that is the end of the job.
But if they simply paid you a fee to stay off work (such as company sick pay of some kind) and the contract has not been terminated by the pay-off, then they may have only employed someone to cover your work on a 6 month temporary contract, with a view to you being employed after being declared fit to return. That would be seen as an obligation under the continuing contract of employment.
So if, at the time of the pay-off, you and the employer expected it to be a termination of employment (like if they gave you your P45 for example), any obligatory re-employment would be judged negatively on that basis.