Flu Jab

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are peoples views on this - I am only a T1 for one year, and i have been told i should get this to be ob the safe side - any major reasons for NOT getting it ?

the_exile

The only reason you shouldn't get it is if you're allergic to eggs or if you actually want to get the flu. You may get folk saying it's useless and it won't protect you against flu, that's true, there's a 1 in 5 chance it may not protect you against this years strain of flu if it's mutated enough, but personally, there isn't a single reason apart from if you're allergic that would stop me getting it. It will save you a mountain of hassle if it does protect you. Our immune systems are compromised by diabetes so it makes no sense whatsoever to not get the flu jab.

Reactions: 3 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One bout of flu and a resulting hospitalisation... and I never miss the flu jab. :angelic:

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

Yes you should have it flu is a very unpleasant illness for anyone for a diabetic it could be very serious. Off for mine on Friday

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's a few threads running on this subject at the moment. I had mine this morning, get it every year without fail, if your type 1 and get flu it will mess with your bg levels big style and could lead to DKA or worse, better to be safe and get the jab IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What are peoples views on this - I am only a T1 for one year, and i have been told i should get this to be ob the safe side - any major reasons for NOT getting it ?

Hello, I went to my GP today for some other condition and he gave me my flu jab in his surgery and not in my arms ( because of an on going injury), so I had it injected in the top of my right buttock, as he said ,I mustn't get flu or pneumonia, so all done now and glad I had it..

RRB

Reactions: 3 people