Prediabetes diagnosis

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I visited my doctor yesterday after a routine blood test to be told I was prediabetic. This came as a complete shock.

Before this blood test I specifically asked the surgery if I needed to fast beforehand and was told 'no' it was a routine test. I therefore had my breakfast and coffee before having the test.

Surely, this would have skewed any test results?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I visited my doctor yesterday after a routine blood test to be told I was prediabetic. This came as a complete shock.

Before this blood test I specifically asked the surgery if I needed to fast beforehand and was told 'no' it was a routine test. I therefore had my breakfast and coffee before having the test.

Surely, this would have skewed any test results?

There are a couple of tests which could have led to this diagnosis; one requires fasting, and the other does not require fasting, so it's not clear cut. If you know the actual numerical test result, it might help.

What are your next steps? Have you been advised to take any action, as a result of the diagnosis?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There are a couple of tests which could have led to this diagnosis; one requires fasting, and the other does not require fasting, so it's not clear cut. If you know the actual numerical test result, it might help.

What are your next steps? Have you been advised to take any action, as a result of the diagnosis?
Yes, I am attending a prediabetic workshop at my surgery and will double check my results then.

I must say, this news has thrown me completely. Presume I can carry on eating sensibly until the workshop starts. At only 9 stone I am hardly over-weight and consider that we have always eaten a healthy diet. Pretty fed up.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I am attending a prediabetic workshop at my surgery and will double check my results then.

I must say, this news has thrown me completely. Presume I can carry on eating sensibly until the workshop starts. At only 9 stone I am hardly over-weight and consider that we have always eaten a healthy diet. Pretty fed up.

The great news about finding out when pre-diabetic is you have the opportunity to try to head off "proper" diabetes.

Whilst diabetes, in the more mature is sometimes portrayed as a lifestyle ailment, for the majority of people there are also underlying factors influencing matters. And some people just plain old draw the short straw.

Please keep coming back Lynn. There's a wealth of information on this site and we're all in a similar boat to yourself - in that we are dealing with conditions on the diabetes spectrum. Some of the NHS advice is difficult to accept as sensible, so I'd advise you listen, then do lots of your own research.

Being diagnosed as pre-diabetic doesn't necessarily mean you are in the full blown diabetes waiting area. Even without any changes, some people just never cross the line, but taking no action is a bit of a risk.

Reactions: 8 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The great news about finding out when pre-diabetic is you have the opportunity to try to head off "proper" diabetes.

Whilst diabetes, in the more mature is sometimes portrayed as a lifestyle ailment, for the majority of people there are also underlying factors influencing matters. And some people just plain old draw the short straw.

Please keep coming back Lynn. There's a wealth of information on this site and we're all in a similar boat to yourself - in that we are dealing with conditions on the diabetes spectrum. Some of the NHS advice is difficult to accept as sensible, so I'd advise you listen, then do lots of your own research.

Being diagnosed as pre-diabetic doesn't necessarily mean you are in the full blown diabetes waiting area. Even without any changes, some people just never cross the line, but taking no action is a bit of a risk.
Thanks.

In limbo until the workshop starts. Can you advise of any modifications I can make to my diet immediately? Terribly confused at the moment.

The other problem I have is real difficulty in exercising having just had a knee replacement and waiting to have the second knee operated on.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

In limbo until the workshop starts. Can you advise of any modifications I can make to my diet immediately? Terribly confused at the moment.

The other problem I have is real difficulty in exercising having just had a knee replacement and waiting to have the second knee operated on.

Being as active as you can certainly helps, but we have a number of members with limited mobility for a range of reasons. You just need to do what you can. Erm,........... Do you carry any excess weight? For many of us trimming up has made a big difference.

Then, it makes sense to have a look at your diet. For most of us, we find that avoiding sugars, and keeping a very close eye on the wider carbohydrates helps immensely. The wider carbohydrates include things like bread, potatoes, pasta and root vegetables. Many of us found that last bit to be a bit of a shocker, but we have mainly bought ourselves blood glucose testing meters (little hand held gizmo that allows us to test regularly) and when we test after we eat some of those things we find our blood sugar levels rise more than is frankly good for us!

For me, the glucose meter has been the most important tool in dealing with thing. It gives me immediate feedback on how I'm doing, and I wouldn't be without it, although after about a year, I now have a pretty decent idea of what I can and can't eat. Most people find this; that after a while they can test less.

In pre-diabetes, it may not be strictly necessary to give up anything, adjusting quantities might be enough.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Being as active as you can certainly helps, but we have a number of members with limited mobility for a range of reasons. You just need to do what you can. Erm,........... Do you carry any excess weight? For many of us trimming up has made a big difference.

Then, it makes sense to have a look at your diet. For most of us, we find that avoiding sugars, and keeping a very close eye on the wider carbohydrates helps immensely. The wider carbohydrates include things like bread, potatoes, pasta and root vegetables. Many of us found that last bit to be a bit of a shocker, but we have mainly bought ourselves blood glucose testing meters (little hand held gizmo that allows us to test regularly) and when we test after we eat some of those things we find our blood sugar levels rise more than is frankly good for us!

For me, the glucose meter has been the most important tool in dealing with thing. It gives me immediate feedback on how I'm doing, and I wouldn't be without it, although after about a year, I now have a pretty decent idea of what I can and can't eat. Most people find this; that after a while they can test less.

In pre-diabetes, it may not be strictly necessary to give up anything, adjusting quantities might be enough.
Thanks.

Have lost 10lbs since the beginng of this year and, as I have said, weight just 9 stone. I honestly don't think weight is an issue for me.

As you say, everything in moderation. I have never smoked and never drink. Quite surprised about potatoes and pasta. This is going to be a real learning curve.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thanks.

Have lost 10lbs since the beginng of this year and, as I have said, weight just 9 stone. I honestly don't think weight is an issue for me.

As you say, everything in moderation. I have never smoked and never drink. Quite surprised about potatoes and pasta. This is going to be a real learning curve.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

Well done losing your weight Lynn. That will have helped your overall health; irrespective of this diagnosis. Did you lose before your knee, or was it just something you wanted to do?

Most of us found the bread/potato/pasta thing a real surprise, and the NHS advice is to eat lots of these foods. But, our glucose meters have educated us differently. It is, unfortunately, a bit of a puzzle, to start with.

It will be extremely valuable to get your results, then you can do some research, and lots of people here can help you with interpretation. Where you are on the spectrum, between non-diabetic, through to full blown diabetes, will help guide your actions.

Do you know when your workshop is going to take place? If it's a little while yet, it could be worthwhile calling and asking for a print out. To be honest, I find it best to get a print out, then I have all the information, and there's no danger I don't understand my notes, or can't read the scribble notes I might have made!

There's a lot to take in.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done losing your weight Lynn. That will have helped your overall health; irrespective of this diagnosis. Did you lose before your knee, or was it just something you wanted to do?

Most of us found the bread/potato/pasta thing a real surprise, and the NHS advice is to eat lots of these foods. But, our glucose meters have educated us differently. It is, unfortunately, a bit of a puzzle, to start with.

It will be extremely valuable to get your results, then you can do some research, and lots of people here can help you with interpretation. Where you are on the spectrum, between non-diabetic, through to full blown diabetes, will help guide your actions.

Do you know when your workshop is going to take place? If it's a little while yet, it could be worthwhile calling and asking for a print out. To be honest, I find it best to get a print out, then I have all the information, and there's no danger I don't understand my notes, or can't read the scribble notes I might have made!

There's a lot to take in.
The weight thing just happened of its own accord. I lost some before my op and quite a lot after. Knee replacement is a really traumatic operation.

Lunchtime is looming. Is a tuna and tomato sandwich on Hovis bread ok?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The weight thing just happened of its own accord. I lost some before my op and quite a lot after. Knee replacement is a really traumatic operation.

Lunchtime is looming. Is a tuna and tomato sandwich on Hovis bread ok?

It'll be better than white bread, possibly. Sadly, there are few clear cut rules on this, as we do all react differently to our dietary elements.

Are there any foods you feel almost addicted to, or feel you would struggle to live without?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It'll be better than white bread, possibly. Sadly, there are few clear cut rules on this, as we do all react differently to our dietary elements.

Are there any foods you feel almost addicted to, or feel you would struggle to live without?
I do really enjoy both pasta and potatoes, but only eat anything in moderation anyway. Not a huge eater. Coffee and tea with semi skimmed OK?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do really enjoy both pasta and potatoes, but only eat anything in moderation anyway. Not a huge eater. Coffee and tea with semi skimmed OK?

No problem.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lynn, and welcome.

AndBreathe has covered most things.

You'll find us a friendly bunch. And the combined help, advice and knowledge on this forum outweighs anything you will find at your doctor's surgery. :)

As a prediabetic I think it very unlikely you'll be offered a blood glucose meter on prescription, but I think it's the best thing you can do to help yourself. Buy one (no need to spend much, and I think the SD Codefree is still the cheapest).

Then test to see if your meals send your blood glucose higher. After that, it is simply a matter of adjusting your portion sizes of certain foods downwards, or cutting them completely.

In my case, wheat (bread, cakes and pasta) sends my blood glucose much higher than larger portions of potato. No idea why. Your body will have its own little foibles. Some will be good. Some bad.

It's all an exciting journey of discovery! ;)

But AndBreathe is right, there is a good chance that you won't go on to develop diabetes - and a few changes now will make it even less likely.

But those changes are far more likely to 'stick' if you join the forum and stay involved. It certainly helps keep me on the straight and narrow. :happy:

Alice233

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I don't believe in prediabetes. But you can do much to reverse this trend. Excellent eating habits, lots of exercise, and keeping your weight under control is key. But keep in mind, it will rear it's ugly head if you don't make this a lifestyle...it's not a temporary fix. Check into glycemic indexes of all foods...this will help a lot. Also watch the Dr Oz show for information and inspiration. Get informed and do research online.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I don't believe in prediabetes.

The diagnosis of prediabetes is not a matter of faith.

It is simply a descriptor used for when a person's fasting blood glucose has risen above normal levels but is not high enough to reach the level used to diagnose diabetes.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The diagnosis of prediabetes is not a matter of faith.

It is simply a descriptor used for when a person's fasting blood glucose has risen above normal levels but is not high enough to reach the level used to diagnose diabetes.
Why I am so confused is the blood test I was given was NOT a fasting blood test. Before the test I had eaten breakfast and drunk coffee and tea.

Really need to check this out with my surgery.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why I am so confused is the blood test I was given was NOT a fasting blood test. Before the test I had eaten breakfast and drunk coffee and tea.

Really need to check this out with my surgery.

I think @Brunneria is responding to @Alice233 's disbelief in pre-diabetes as a diagnosis, rather than specifically to you. But, I'm sure she'll pop in at some point and clarify.

Yes, I think you should call the surgery and ask if you can drop by and pick up your test results. The print out will clarify once and for all. For completeness, if you had a Fasting Blood Glucose test, the name says it all. If you had an HbA1c test, that is not a fasting test. The HbA1c test isn't a snapshot of your bloods at the time of the test, it looks at the amount of glucose "attached" to your red blood cells, which gives an indication of your longer term blood glucose levels. This page explains the test and its implications in more detail: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

I agree. You need to settle your mind, so that you can move forward and deal with it. How you feel is really very usual, so don't be concerned.

A

AnnieC

When I was diagnosed prediabtic I gave up all sugar foods like cakes biscuits pastry etc and changed to.Burgen Linseed and Soya bread which was recommended I only have a slice as toast with breakfast. I was never a pasta or rice eater so no problem there but I do love vegetables of all kinds and still eat new potatoes but cut down on the roasties and jacket potatoes basically I still eat most vegetables and fruit that I ate before with just smaller portions of the root stuff. The only thing was that like you I was not overweight but just giving up the sugar stuff I did loose a stone that I did not really need to and now weigh 81/2 stone so I do struggle a bit to keep my weight up I do this mostly by eating nuts and having good oils in fish avocados and olive oil. I don't eat red meat mostly just chicken I prefer lower fat. As has been said testing your blood is the best thing you can do as it will give you an idea of how you are doing

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Out of interest, how long ago where you diagnosed prediabetic?

Plus, totally confused about the rice, potatoes, pasta, porridge advice or is it just purely the way each individual responds to these carbohydrates? Some say good, others not so good.