I'd really like your honest opinion...

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a look at this brilliant site? http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

And http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf of course.

My DSN wasn't near as bad as yours. I actually got a meter and strips after telling her and my GP that I wouldn't eat a single carb ever again until I were given the means to test what carbs did to my bg level. Our next meeting she was impressed, yes, but also worried because my control was too good with a HbA1c of 35.

I can´t say I have had any help from her, apart from the meter and strips but then I don't think I need much more. Like you I can read and think for myself.

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you had a look at this brilliant site? http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

And http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf of course.

My DSN wasn't near as bad as yours. I actually got a meter and strips after telling her and my GP that I wouldn't eat a single carb ever again until I were given the means to test what carbs did to my bg level. Our next meeting she was impressed, yes, but also worried because my control was too good with a HbA1c of 35.

I can´t say I have had any help from her, apart from the meter and strips but then I don't think I need much more. Like you I can read and think for myself.

Love it Totto!! Way to go!!!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love it Totto!! Way to go!!!
You know me, it was very enjoyable. Told them I would only eat eggs, bacon, lard and butter. I think that scared them.

Now if she asks if eat enough fruit I can with good conscience say that I do: Tomatoes, peppers, aubergine, zucchini for example.

Reactions: 9 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@Sam72 - Don't get discouraged. The nurse :nurse: is just following the official protocols. Sounds like you are on the right track. When you get your next HbA1c result and it is much improved, they won't really be able to (effectively) argue with your approach. I went low carb to control my blood glucose and to my surprise it also improved my cholesterol numbers within a couple of months. I've heard the same thing about how I should be eating lots of carbs from pharmacists, dietitians, and nurses. However, I just nod and smile and don't bother arguing. I know the low carbing works for me. However, I am dreading my first one-on-one appointment with a diabetic nurse next week.:nailbiting: I expect I'll get told similar things to what you were told.:meh:

The way I look at it is that any carbs that I would eat just turn to glucose and I already have plenty of glucose in my blood, so why do I need to eat carbs? Answer: I don't. I eat lots of fresh vegetables, meat and dairy and my blood glucose is never very high or very low. I have plenty of energy to work all day and go for a run after work.

Good luck with your doctor appointment Monday. Maybe printout or graph up you self testing blood glucose results to show him/her how well your diet is working at controlling your blood glucose and how high it goes when you eat a carby meal.

Reactions: 8 people

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sam,

It's a difficult one isn't it? I don't think you are doing the wrong thing at all but you also need to keep your HCPs on your side, as it is through them that you access any required care.
I would calmly explain to your doctor what you are doing and why. That you have done your research in a measured way, and you want to continue to try an approach that seems to be working for you. It's the Hba1c results that will indicate whether you are doing the right thing.

My DSN and I haven't particularly clicked, but at my latest appointment one year on, she did say how well I was doing. I explained my approach, how I was a control freak who wanted to be in control of my diabetes not the other way around, and she did concede that she wished more of her patients would take that attitude.

Interestingly, when I saw the diabetic consultant at the hospital and explained that I was low carbing, they seemed more concerned about my bowel movements than anything else!

good luck for Monday, hope it goes well.
Sue

Reactions: 7 people

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Sam, 12 months ago I was given the same advice as you.
Luckily for me I had already found this forum. I refused the medication offered and on my first 3 monthly review I significantly reduced my levels .
That was with advice and tips from this forum and not from my gp practice.
It's your life/body,you choose what will benefit you best.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
The reason this forum is such a great place is because most of us has had that appointment!
It is still your choice, but educate yourself about what members have said especially about reducing carbs and the effects it has on BSLs.
I was on that sort of diet for years and I never lost weight. I changed to a low carb med fat diet because I had to. I've lost 3 stone and I have never felt fitter and healthier than I have for decades.
It is your choice, please don't take her advice, read the success stories on this forum.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I was 13+stone when I was diagnosed. Listened to my nurse , switched to high fibre , continued to feel rubbish and didn't test. Felt shaky and hungry and ate thinking bs had dipped. Cholesterol at that point was around 6.8.

Months went by and I happened on this forum , thought I would buy a monitor my self ( no need to test !!!!!) . Monitoring is the best thing I did , monitoring made me understand my symptoms and how my body reacts to different foods Monitoring for me has been key to controlling my diabetes.
I low carb , basically reduce cereal , bread , pasta and rice , I have small portion of one of them once a day usually and have an aldi dark chocolate bar with a cuppa at night.
I also do at least 40mins activity a day.
Result is im 2stone lighter , feel better , can concentrate and don't have horrible sweats ( hated them).My cholesterol is 5.
So the advice I would give is
Buy a monitor and test , how else will you know how foods affect your bs.
Reduce your carbs
Use the my fitness pal app
Move more ..40 minutes a day ..Doesn't have to be typical exercise but move for 40 minutes.
Works for me. I find that after doing it since feb/march its now away of life. A good life.

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know someone who was diagnosed Type 2 in July of this year.

He started low carb eating.

Had his blood work done this week and his fasting sugar was 5 and he has never better cholesterol readings than what he got this week.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YES!!!

And volunteer your body for a long term (one person) comparative study. ;)

I like that idea. Having followed the old-style advice for 45 years so far can we all agree to revisit this topic in 2059 and compare results?

Mima

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After my visit to the DN at the surgery who gave me the party line about diet and testing, I decided that listening to the people living with Diabetes was my best choice. I have lost a Stone & Half since diagnosis in July, my BG is still fluctuating as I am still learning what affects me but is now between 4.8 and 7. My sister, a nurse of 30 years admitted that what the 'Professionals' know about it could be written on the back of a postage stamp and that we know our own bodies best. Do what is right for you.

A

AnnieC

I think the most we can hope for with the diabetic HCP's is that they will either still prescribe the NHS guidelines to eating or they will say barely anything about diet and leave it up to us as to what we do When my husband saw the DN after diagnosis with T2 she hardly touched on diet she just said have a healthy one.she certainly did not tell him to eat low fat or have carbs with every meal if fact the most she said about food was that he should make sure he had something to eat if he was going to be driving and that was it
So it really depends on the nurse but they will not endorse LCHF until the NHS tell them to and that does not seem to be any time soon..

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
So it really depends on the nurse but they will not endorse LCHF until the NHS tell them to and that does not seem to be any time soon..

Maybe not - no-one has suggested they do - but they can still move away from the bonkers advice quoted in the OP. Or do you think that's good advice?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Perhaps she is worried that you might do her out of a job!

A

AnnieC

Maybe not - no-one has suggested they do - but they can still move away from the bonkers advice quoted in the OP. Or do you think that's good advice?
No I don't think the NHS guidelines is good advice but what my husband was told was really no advice at all about diet but saying they could move away from the bonkers advice is a bit unrealistic
DN's value their jobs so advising a diet that goes against the NHS....their employers.. could jepordise that even if they do think it is good Taken over all the diabetics everywhere only a very small minority are doing the LCHF diet because most of them have never heard of it so until it becomes the majority of diabetics doing it and they shout very loudly about it I think regrettably things will not change any time soon

Last edited:

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been lucky with my DN although she's based at a different practice (our surgeries merged). She actually understands about carbs, Did mention complex carbs at one point and reducing them generally but i still don't know what one is.

I told her i was feeling deprived of bread and i didn't like the Bergen stuff. She suggested try sourdough which is actually quite nice, when i buy it, i have 1 slice for brekkie. i told her i was living on cauliflower, and she grimaced - she hates the stuff. And she can find my veins on 1st attempt.

And its true the GPs try to have little to do with diabetes. I had a meds review last week, he didn't want to go near the diabetic meds - said leave it to the nurse.

A

AnnieC

Good luck Sam and I am sure you will find the best way for you there is lots of good advice here

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much everyone. I feel so much better about things today and my fasting BG WAS 7.2 ! Apparently this is not possible but that was what my meter says. I'm sticking to my low carbing.

Out of everything I am really missing bread the most. Any suggestions about which I could try and where it's available?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.
I'm type 1 so can't comment on the technicalities of t2 but looks like you've had some really great tips from the forum :)

I just wanted to say that you shouldn't feel bad for questioning health care advice, everyone is different and like you say u have to listen to your body and go by your readings. Looks like u r doing well, it's not easy, well done :)

Reactions: 3 people