Alcohol and type 2 diabetes

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it safe to get smashed with booze if you got type 2 diabetes? I was thinking of going out on the **** tonight but was wondering if this would cause me any problems other than a hangover (which is worth it). I don't drink regular I just like to have a binge now and then like most people.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on any medication if so what?

Alcohol causes drop in blood sugar levels and depending on what medication you are on you may be risking a low.

All things in moderation sounds like good advice.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I take metformin. But i'm surprised you say alcohol causes a drop in blood sugar. I have read a few posts that claim it does the opposite. I don't drink regularly anyway.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the leaflet that comes in my Glucophage (metformin) box it states that drinking alcohol when taking metformin is not advised as it increases the chances of suffering lactic acidosis particularly if you already suffer from a liver condition.

I was able to find the following on the net

"Too much consumption of alcohol while taking a type 2 diabetes Metformin medication is highly discouraged. A person who drinks alcohol exposes himself to a potentially fatal condition known as lactic acidosis. It occurs when lactic acid accumulates in the body and it is difficult for the body to neutralize it rapidly. The patient may show symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, low BP, or high pulse rate when this condition attacks. Seek immediate medical attention when lactic acidosis is diagnosed - See more at: http://metforminfacts.com/metformin-alcohol/#sthash.345rB68j.dpuf

Sorry to be a spoilsport.

Pavlos

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No thank you for posting this information. I can do without drinking if it can cause this amount of trouble.
Thanks again.

Reactions: 2 people