High BS readings, unable to lower them

gaz1971

Hi all, Im having some major issues with my BS levels, they are currently at 13.8 and havent moved, despite taking metformin a couple of hours ago. I havent eaten anything for several hours and Im at a loss as to what to do. Any help welcomed.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you are type 2 I think someone told me a while ago that they drink lots of water and eat no carb/low carb food like cheese etc to dilute what you have eaten. X

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

You can also try taking steady, sustained exercise, like walking, or going up and down stairs a few times.

Have your BG levels been raised for long?

Is there any chance you could have a virus or other infection?
Stress can also raise your BG levels.

Let us know how you get on?

gaz1971

I run a dog walking business, so have already walked around 10 miles a day, got up this morning with BS levels at 8.9.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. That is fantastic!

So, maybe, if your BG spikes today after food, try running up and down stairs (until you are puffed ) then wait for 10 mins and test to see if it has dropped again. Some people on the forum (@Andrew Colvin , for example) uses exercise after food to bring his BG down quickly after meals.

What are you eating before these BG rises?

It may be that you have changed diet a bit, or that your body has changed in its reaction to your usual carb intake...

Reactions: 2 people

gaz1971

I havent changed my diet at all, my BS levels were always under 8.5 2 hours after a meal and never went over 8.5 an hour after food, so to now be getting readings of 14/15 is worrying. My usual waking readings were around 5.5.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try testing whether it is food related, or not, by having a no carb brekkie (e.g. Bacon and eggs, no toast) and see if that stops the rise.

Likewise a lunch of meat and veg or salad. No rice, bread, potato...
You know where the carbs are. Just try doing without for a couple of meals.

If your BG stays stable, or drops, then you know that the food is the culprit.
Then it's just a matter of eliminating the items in question, or reducing portion sizes.

Sadly, our bodies change over time. I used to be able to eat potato. So I did. Perhaps too often. But I can't any more... :(

The alternative is medication, but I prefer to control by diet, since the body tends to get resistant to drugs, so it often turns into a drug escalation, and may lead to insulin, in time.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
agree with @Brunneria try and eat some carb free meals for rest of day and see if that helps.

I would also check your meter if you haven't already, ideally by testing a family member so you can see if the strips are faulty (use fresh lancet/finger stabber of course)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully your BS will come down again and stay down. Illness can cause raised BS. Are you young and not overweight? If so let us know.

gaz1971

Im 43 and overweight, typical yo-yo dieter, had a good few years recently where weight went down 8 stone, now having a bad run and weight gone up 5 stone.

Ive found the culprit. I have the odd glass of Pepsi Max, not huge amounts, it is sugar free, but tried tesco's own version called Xero, its NOT sugar free, just no added sugar. Reality is it has no added sugar because it already has enough sugar in it to put a rhino in a diabetic coma.

Thanks for all replies.

Reactions: 6 people

kenbaker6679

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders
I Find brisk walk does you good then test your blood again your see a drop even if it's a little

gaz1971

Ok its not the pop either. Ive not eaten or had anything to drink for 16 hrs and my BS reading is 11.9. GOt to the doctors today, waste of time, got to have blood taken and tested, then go back when they get results, I cant get my bloods taken for 2 weeks as my docs is snowed under with patients and no doctors, then have to wait a week for results, then probably another 2 weeks to get a doc appt. In the meantime Im living with double digit BS reading for over a month.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously? 2 weeks for blood tests is absurd!

@donnellysdogs have you got any suggestions? (She has a very good understanding of how doctors surgeries function.)

In the meantime, have you tried eating a couple of carb free meals, to see what that does to you numbers?

gaz1971

We had 3 doctor surgeries in our town, my GP decided to retire, so they closed his practice and 3000 patients had to move to the other 2. 'We can cope' they said, now you cant get an appointment for love nor money, unless they have a cancellation when you happen to call.

I havent eaten anything for over 24hrs now and my bs levels are 11.9. I have said before, Im a dog walker and have already walked around 5 miles today and its had no effect.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When BG has been high for a while, it can take a while to drop. The liver keeps releasing glucose to maintain the status quo (even when the status quo is far too high).

It may take weeks to drop back to the levels you are used to.

All I can suggest is that you test before and after everything you eat, and if you blood glucose rises more than 2mmol/l at 2 hours after eating, then you know that food is a problem for you.

But you definitely need to keep badgering the surgery. As you know, we can't give medical advice on here, and whatever has changed may not be diet related.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's impossible to say.

Doctors and nurses often seem happy to leave people running at those levels until their next Hba1c (examples of that all over this forum), but personally I would try and get it down as soon as possible. Damage has been shown to start (see the bloodsugar101 website link in my sig), when levels are above 'normal' for any length of time.

But remember - we are all different.
Some people run high for years and months, not days and weeks.

How is it going?

What carbs are you eating, and what are your BG levels today?

gaz1971

It starts high in the morning and then gets back to normal during the day, the gets high again in evening.

Im eating stuff like scrambled eggs, no toast, fish, veg etc, no carbs at all.