Alternative to Diet Drinks Advice Please

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Does anyone have any ideas for a cold drink other than diet drinks? I am in canada visiting my husbands healthy eating skinny cousin who seems to have taken it upon herself to scare me to death over every thing I put in my mouth. I try my best to lower my carbs and I don't like tea, coffee or other hot drinks, can't have juice and don't want to live on water. I have been using a weak low cal squash or sprite zero and today I was read two articles on how bad aspartame and sweeteners are and how they are making me fat! This on top of " you won't eat kale with lemon, honey, soy and olive oil but you eat bacon which is bad for you" . I told her I prefer my veg plain and she smugly said "yes but you eat vinaigrette coleslaw".erm..... Personal taste and all that!

Would be grateful for any ideas x I could squeeze fresh lemon into sparkling water but as it's all I drink wouldn't the carbs add up? X

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The first thing you need to do is withdraw permission for this irritating cousin to comment on your food choices. Somehow she has got the idea she has the right to judge your eating.

How dare she? I am indignant on your behalf!

In the past I have found that a comment like 'I do not criticise your food choices. Please do not criticise mine' usually stops them in their tracks. If they continue, just repeat. And repeat. Stay polite. Sooner or later she will realise she is making a fool of herself.

(Usually, I would be prepared to argue the finer points of blood sugar control, but from what you have said, this woman would just keep sniping. So better to shut her down, rather than discuss.)

Regarding your question about drinks...
This is what I drink (I follow a low carb diet)
Water
Herb tea
Water
Sambucol effervescent tablets
Water with a squirt of lemon
Tea
Fizzy water
Coffee with cream
Water
Bovril
More water...

I realise that if you don't drink hot drinks, a lot of them are no use to you :(

We have a sodastream machine that my husband uses. There are sodastream flavours that are sweetened with stevia, but that wont help you unless you have a machine and flavours handy!

Good luck, and please come back and describe the expression on her face when you (politely) tell her to mind her own business...

Reactions: 4 people

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
She went on a diabetic course before we came here as she is trying to help but doesn't realise she isn't! My husband has tried to explain and she nods but then asks if I want yoghurt, fruit compote and granola as it's healthy but for me it isn't what I am doing. I've had all the statistics of diabetes and the like read to me since I first posted lol . Thanks for the drinks ideas, I might try bovril, I used to like that as a child. But would love some ideas on cold drinks if anyone has them. I think I am her project, whereas Like most people I just prefer to get on with it without fuss.

fugly54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dishonesty and bulls***, the way the country is being run, not being able to get out and excersize more or take my dog for nice long walks.
Does anyone have any ideas for a cold drink other than diet drinks? I am in canada visiting my husbands healthy eating skinny cousin who seems to have taken it upon herself to scare me to death over every thing I put in my mouth. I try my best to lower my carbs and I don't like tea, coffee or other hot drinks, can't have juice and don't want to live on water. I have been using a weak low cal squash or sprite zero and today I was read two articles on how bad aspartame and sweeteners are and how they are making me fat! This on top of " you won't eat kale with lemon, honey, soy and olive oil but you eat bacon which is bad for you" . I told her I prefer my veg plain and she smugly said "yes but you eat vinaigrette coleslaw".erm..... Personal taste and all that!

Would be grateful for any ideas x I could squeeze fresh lemon into sparkling water but as it's all I drink wouldn't the carbs add up? X

Hiya clairy clutterbuck.

You need to thank your (well meaning?) cousin for wanting to help, but point out that her sniping is NOT the kind of you need or want, and that if she has nothing positive to offer you'd rather her keep her suggestions to herself, and if you want her advice you'll ask for it, That should do the trick lol
Regarding your question - have you tried iced tea and coffee? They're refreshing and you you tinker with the taste to suit YOUR palete.
Hope this helps - good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have natural mineral water (Waterfords ... dunno if it's available in Canada) and it's a diet drink with lemon lime and bitters. It's great :)

You could make your own if necessary. Just a thought

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If it was me I would tell her to wind her neck in but that's me! As to the info you have read whilst I'm not poo pooing it I don't totally buy it that it's the same for everyone, I drink diet drinks and squashes and I have lost loads of weight, mind you I only drink them with meals, other times I drink black coffee, tea and sparkling waterIf you want to drink water flavoured with lemon juice a tablespoon of lemon juice has 1g of carb, sounds fine to me,

from your post it sounds as if you are on holiday, relax and enjoy it, don't let your well meaning but irritating relative spoil it for you

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not up to speed with the latest health scares on the artificial sweeteners, but a splash of squash in your water will have little effect on your health if you don't like to drink it plain.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drank far too many diet drinks for far too many years. At least 2 litres a day for at least 6 years. I got addicted to them and the aspartame affected me by giving me muscle spasms in my face, so I don't drink them anymore. However, if you've never drunk them to excess like me and don't have a problem with them, I don't see any harm having the odd one or two on holiday, as long as it doesn't become a daily habit like mine did. I feel it's true that the body receives diet drinks as sugar and therefore releases insulin which it can't then use because there wasn't sugar for it in the first place, so if you drink a lot of them long term it's not good. One or two on holiday I would say is fine, for almost anyone, just not me:)

Brunneria's list is a good one, and whilst I was getting used to drinking just water I used to put a splash of squash or juice into a glass of sparkling water as noblehead suggested. It certainly helped me get used to drinking more water. Squeezing fresh lemon into sparkling water is a great idea too.

Enjoy your holiday and don't let anyone spoil it for you! Keep us updated won't you?

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thank you off your ideas. By the sounds of it I shall try weak sugar free squash and squeezed lemon in sparkling water. I reckon I have about 8 tins of diet sprite a day as I don't drink anything else and that is way too much. Perhaps cut down to 2 a day to start with, with the above. I liked Brunneria's idea of bovril too. We are indeed on holiday in Canada and have just canoed for the first time in 30 years! Very excited! Rob's cousin is a lovely lady but just has an opinion on everything -when I mentioned Bovril she said "too salty" . I really don't like tea and coffee and milk I think is too sugary of would try berry shakes. By the time I went to bed I felt "diabetic" and upset at the thought of the future. Rob is having a quiet word this morning. X

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I realy dont think the occaional diet drink does any harm,I have a Gin and Diet Tonic every night with ice and lemon.
But for the most part I have water with sliced lemon and sliced orange cooled in the fridge.Im on the LCHFdiet.

Stattovic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horse Racing, loud pop music
I have been a diet coke cola drinker for many years, now having just passed 70 I am trying to wean myself off it.
I do drink tea and coffee (with sweeteners) about 3 a day but I think I will try and find a sugar free squash that suits me.

My BS readings have dropped to 13/14 still not good enough but moving in the right direction.

What squash is suitable and where can you buy it, I live in Southampton.

Thanks.