Cant walk but high BG

spacebod69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, Im lisa. My first post here. I am really feeling rough. I have spinabifida and have been in hospital this month with kidney infections. Apart from that, Im on tonnes of meds for things. I cant control my eating and its awful as my bg levels are between 14 and 21. It feels uncomfy to my body and I can no longer walk; I use an electric chair. Im desperate to get my levels down but just cant. Ive had my Gliclaside increased a LOT while in hosp but my levels still are staying the same. Im seeing a diabetic nurse in a few weeks but I am so worried in the meantime and don't know what to do. Im doing to cook some cauliflower, potatoes and maybe have some cold ham with it for dinner as I just dont know what to do. I struggle with depression and with my father going into a home due to fast onset dementia so my stress is high. Please could someone give me some ideas that are practical? Thanks Ooh, I forgot, part of the kidney issue is caused by a big stone which Im waiting to have removed. I catheterise as I cant empty bladder otherwise, so infection is always there in some form.

Janiept

Expert
Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum. So sorry to read how rough you are feeling and about the problems you are having with your health.
Firstly I doubt very much whether being in hospital has helped your bg levels as the food is notoriously poor especially for diabetics.
Also the stress of your dad's illness won't be helping either as this can also raise levels.
If you read what's written here I am sure it will help you feel better able to control things. Food is key and finding what sends your levels up and down (testing really is the only way to do this) will help you no end.
I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me will be along soon with some good advice.
Keep posting and let us know how you are doing won't you.

Janie

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do your medical conditions cause you to be on a specific type of diet. If it does not then I serious think you should consider dropping your carb levels and eat more fat. Have a look at some of the LCHF diet sections on the forum.

You could also look at resistance training as it doesnt require movement but give you good exercise.
@Brunneria will hopefully be able to give you some LCHF diet advice

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forum. Lots of help here. So sorry to hear you have had such a rough time lately

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes sorry I was very rude and didnt say welcome - please accept my apologies - I am a man so a little socially inept at times well that is my excuse anyway

K

Kat100

It is a hello and welcome from me as well ... :)
And I am sorry to read that you are going through such an awful time ...stay in touch with us ....sorry about your dad that is very sad ....

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Lisa sorry you are having such a tough time:)

spacebod69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
TY everyone for the lovely welcome. Is resistence training, lifting weights? I used to do that but ripped a muscle deep in my upper back so had to stop. I could sit here and simply lift my little weight on a metal rod... that's very heavy for my arms as haven't used muscles much recently so might help? I seem to be getting worse at finding and using my self control with eating. Its like my mind is fighting the knowledge of what danger eating badly can cause. I seem to be only finding food that has carbs in it. I seem to be useless. Thanks for the support re my having a tough time; I always have moans but it just happens that the Dad thing has reached a pinnacle, at moment. I think that this forum will be great for me, so long as I dont moan so much that I estrange folk. I will try not to.

Is it true that boiled eggs help to quickly lower your levels?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
don't know about any effects eggs have except make the heads of soldiers yellow. :D

Try the little weight, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

A

AnnieC

Welcome Lisa sorry you have so many health problems and with your Dads condition but just keep reading here and you will get some good advice that will at least help you with your diet and certainly no one will mind you having a moan when you feel you need to

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello lisa and welcome
you will get a lot of help here

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Good day and welcome to the most helpful forum on the net.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, take time and have a good read through the various links there lots of helpful information on here, but the main thing to bear in mind is that all carbs turn to sugar for us so avoid were you can. potatoes as you mentioned earlier, certainly for me are a no go at the moment, perhaps I could handle a single new potato but nothing more.

Good luck with everything for the future and post as much as you want, there is always a friendly voice on here.