Sore aching weepy eye

P

Pip16

Hi just wondered if anyone has suffered a sore aching weeping eye that's blurry. I've had it about 3 weeks now. When it first started I had a sinus infection. That's cleared with 2 different antibiotics. When I wake up in the morning it feels sticky but not gungy. It aches every now and then and feels sore and waters a lot. I now think it's starting in the other eye too. I saw the optician 2 weeks ago. I had it then but he had a good check and said my blurry eyes is the diabetes and when my levels are stablised the blurry ness will go. Any idea anyone?

rich2020

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just wondered if anyone has suffered a sore aching weeping eye that's blurry. I've had it about 3 weeks now. When it first started I had a sinus infection. That's cleared with 2 different antibiotics. When I wake up in the morning it feels sticky but not gungy. It aches every now and then and feels sore and waters a lot. I now think it's starting in the other eye too. I saw the optician 2 weeks ago. I had it then but he had a good check and said my blurry eyes is the diabetes and when my levels are stablised the blurry ness will go. Any idea anyone?
Have exactly the same problem right eye painful and just getting over sinus infection. Have to wait until Thursday to see the doctor lets hope its the aftermath of sinusitis.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You can get blurry eyes with un controlled diabetes, high bg levels make the lens of the eyes swell which in turn causes blurry vision. However you say your eyes are also sore, so best to see your gp and and get them checked.

P

Pip16

Have exactly the same problem right eye painful and just getting over sinus infection. Have to wait until Thursday to see the doctor lets hope its the aftermath of sinusitis.

Hi rich mines the right eye too. I thought it was cos of the sinus infection. Maybe the infections spread to the eye which the antibiotics don't help. I also use the computer a lot too so that doesn't help. It's just annoying now. Thanks for replying. Although it's not nice to know your suffering too it helps to know I'm not alone.

Reactions: 2 people
P

Pip16

You can get blurry eyes with un controlled diabetes, high bg levels make the lens of the eyes swell which in turn causes blurry vision. However you say your eyes are also sore, so best to see your gp and and get them checked.
Thanks noblehead. I think I may have too. It's so annoying especially now it's started in the other eye. Probably won't get an appointment anytime quick though so may speak to pharmacist tomorrow.

toastlover

Could it be a seasonal allergy? Allergy to weed and birch pollen is rife this time of year. I'm having to take more antihistamines now than in the summer!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks noblehead. I think I may have too. It's so annoying especially now it's started in the other eye. Probably won't get an appointment anytime quick though so may speak to pharmacist tomorrow.

Pharmacist is good Pip, it sounds very much like Conjunctivitis although it may be something else. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

P

Pip16

Ooh thank you toastlover (great name) I didn't think of that. I do suffer hay fever but mines normally early in the year. Not had eye problems with it though for years. They used to itch like crazy and gungy. Mine feel gungy and weepy but they're not sticking or itchy. I have been sneezing. Will dig out the antihistamines I think. Thank you

R14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pharmacist is good Pip, it sounds very much like Conjunctivitis although it may be something else. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

I had similar symptoms when i was newly diagnosed. Your diabetic screening and eye optician should be able to sort this out. Uncontrolled diabetic led me to dry eye conditions, burning and redish sensation. Retina and cataract. And i am constantly uses eye drops and ointments. You should be fine once it's fully controlled.

P

Pip16

Would suggest an opthalmologist ...
Thanks dave is that the same as an optician. My optician also does the retinal screening for diabetes. I think that's right. It's Where they take photos behind the eye to check the blood vessels. (He showed me some photos and told me what to expect ) he said my eyes were fine 2 weeks ago although a little worse since he last saw me. He didn't want to prescribe stronger glasses til I get my sugar levels stablised. He did say that any irritant would make my eyes water when I told him about this problem.

P

Pip16

I had similar symptoms when i was newly diagnosed. Your diabetic screening and eye optician should be able to sort this out. Uncontrolled diabetic led me to dry eye conditions, burning and redish sensation. Retina and cataract. And i am constantly uses eye drops and ointments. You should be fine once it's fully controlled.
Thank you R14. That's the exact feeling, burning and red and watery. Aches sometimes too. Feels like the lid Is swollen but it's not. I've heard of dry eye. I think my mum has that. Will get it checked I think now.

kenbaker6679

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders

I've recently just got over this, it can also cause you to have blocked tear ducts and can be very irritating, antibiotic eye drops will resolve this you can purchase it over the counter

P

Pip16

I've recently just got over this, it can also cause you to have blocked tear ducts and can be very irritating, antibiotic eye drops will resolve this you can purchase it over the counter
Thank you kenbaker6679
Is it an infection then and if so what could have caused it? Maybe the sinus infection! Will go chemist first thing in the morning now. Thank you.

P

Pip16

Just want to say how much I love these forums. Whenever I need help, whether it's being newly diagnosed, lchf diet explanation, chocolate cake and bread recipes, and now a health issue there's always someone there. I'm so happy I found this website. Thank you

Reactions: 3 people

R14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just want to say how much I love these forums. Whenever I need help, whether it's being newly diagnosed, lchf diet explanation, chocolate cake and bread recipes, and now a health issue there's always someone there. I'm so happy I found this website. Thank you

You are more than welcomed and not alone. Try cold water remedy if it worsen but it won't. Cool it a bit, i feel stiffness on my right eye since i recently done screening but i will change hospital. Also get a referal from your doctors to see a dietician. And slight exercise can be helpful.

kenbaker6679

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders

Ya welcome Pip high sugars will make you prone to this, but yes its an infection and eye drops will help you out. Be prepared they may sting a little once you first start using them.

P

Pip16

Ya welcome Pip high sugars will make you prone to this, but yes its an infection and eye drops will help you out. Be prepared they may sting a little once you first start using them.
Thank you. My sugars have been pretty good since starting the lchf. Not been much over 7 since Friday. Today it's been 4's and 5's even after the yummy choc cake. (Lchf recipe I found on here). I've lost almost a stone in 4 weeks so very pleased. Now just need to kept them stable and lose another 1/2 stone. Thanks for the warning about the stinging too.

Reactions: 3 people

Dave(42)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks dave is that the same as an optician. My optician also does the retinal screening for diabetes. I think that's right. It's Where they take photos behind the eye to check the blood vessels. (He showed me some photos and told me what to expect ) he said my eyes were fine 2 weeks ago although a little worse since he last saw me. He didn't want to prescribe stronger glasses til I get my sugar levels stablised. He did say that any irritant would make my eyes water when I told him about this problem.
No, they're not the same, much much more qualified. Our optician is overseen by the regional ophthalmology department. Their consultants are excellent.