Sorry need to rant .......

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I am just fizzing angry ... on the BBC news health page I have just read this
The article is about 'Giant leap' to type 1 diabetes cure by James Gallagher, Health editor, BBC News website

It was interesting but cannot read further than this line :

It is different to the far more common type 2 diabetes which is largely due to poor lifestyle.

No wonder Drs and DBN's don't give a flying feather about helping or advising most people with T2 .. so every one with with type2 is labelled with this lifestyle choice of giving themselves diabetes

GRRRRRRRRRRRR Yes i agree that Type 1 is a different beast altogether from T2 .. but it is just me .. or is he being a little harsh with that statement ....

sorry if this has already been in the forums .. but need to type or I will explode

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are really upset then write to the editor and the director general.
I am sick of the media response to T2 and the party line adopted by those who really haven't got a clue!

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are really upset then write to the editor and the director general.
I am sick of the media response to T2 and the party line adopted by those who really haven't got a clue!
Yes I am really angry about this .. But my life is too short to campaign about this ...

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's deliberate, along with all the other anti this n that the establishment espouses to turn people against each other. To get everyone judging each other.
They know full well that 50% of the population or thereabouts have what Dr Bernstein calls the 'thrifty gene'.
They probably all have shares in the wheat & grain industry too :confused:
Oh and not forgetting that the NHS refuses to treat hypothyroidism until TSH is above 10 with antibodies, adding to the problem.
Which makes it all more likely due to poor health care and advice from the establishment.
Your right .. :stop: But they should not say it .....

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No they shouldn't say it. These types of judgemental statements have caused me a great deal of distress recently. I'm sure I can't be the only one

Reactions: 3 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No they shouldn't say it. These types of judgemental statements have caused me a great deal of distress recently. I'm sure I can't be the only one
Your not the only one .. Just cannot understand how this could be written in an article like this .....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Blimey, if you think the BBC was harsh, I read that the Daily Mail hung the tubby T2s out to dry with this story. I gave it a miss. I find having steam coming out of my ears increases my blood glucose levels :)

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, if you think the BBC was harsh, I read that the Daily Mail hung the tubby T2s out to dry with this story. I gave it a miss. I find having steam coming out of my ears increases my blood glucose levels :)
Not seen that .. I wanted to read the article ..but just cannot after reading this ... WHY are they starting a witch hunt against T2's under the cover of a T1 article. First it's give T2 gastric bands .. Now its out choice to be T2 ... Grrrrrr what next .. Lock us up in small cages untill we stop "wanting" to be T2 :stop::banghead::facepalm:

mandydowns

I was listening to a science programme on Radio 4 the other evening when the presenter who is a practising Dr said something aloing the lines '.......and those people with type 2 diabetes who lounge on settees eating all day.....' I think that it is a national media sport to bash Type 2s, but for some in the medical profession to be so judgemental and sometimes ill informed is unforgiveable - if only they knew the psychological damage these comments cause some people.

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was listening to a science programme on Radio 4 the other evening when the presenter who is a practising Dr said something aloing the lines '.......and those people with type 2 diabetes who lounge on settees eating all day.....' I think that it is a national media sport to bash Type 2s, but for some in the medical profession to be so judgemental and sometimes ill informed is unforgiveable - if only they knew the psychological damage these comments cause some people.
I aggree .. I just get outraged .. But the wife (again) is the one who stopped me from not taking things personally ... If I was on my own .. I would be deeply upset by the comments from the medics and yes would probley turn to comfort eating .. Therefor making my health problems even more apprent.

mandydowns

I agree with you - I have found myself feeling guilty, dispondent and then comfort eat when people are thoughtless and make me feel in some way as if I 'deserve' to be diabetic. This then becomes a viscious circle - maybe you have to experience this to understand how destructive it can be. My thoughts are with you and I can assure you that many must feel how we do.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No longer care what people say frankly.

Did I contribute towards my t2 diagnosis? Possibly. I was not leading the healthiest of lifestyles, sedentary office work, not always making the healthiest dietary choices and I was overweight, but no more so than ninety per cent of the population my age and most of those did not go on to develop diabetes.

Perhaps the statins I have had to take for years now because of familial hypercholesterolemia, also contributed. Who knows?

Perhaps it was just in my genes. My maternal grandfather was t2 as well.

Simple truth is, I do not know and never will know what brought it on.

And you know I no longer care, just as I no longer care what others may think brought it on.

I also refuse to feel guilty about it.

Nothing I think or feel is going to change the fact that I am now a diabetic and that I now have to live within the rules dictated by my condition.

As it happens, these rules involve me eating, exercising and adopting an attitude to life that is considerably healthier than the majority of my non- diabetic friends.

So, although it is frustrating when the media keep promoting the same negative stereotype for us t2s, I no longer let it bother me because I know it is not correct, at least no in my own case.

Even if it was correct, even if we t2s did bring this on to ourselves, so what?

What next? Blame cancer victims for possibly being smokers or aids sufferers for possibly being promiscuous?

We are all human and none of us lead perfect lived. It just happens that some get away with it, while others are not so fortunate.

I have a health condition called diabetes and I have to fight it, but I refuse to accept blame or see this as some kind of deserved punishment when all I may be guilty of is acting in the same manner as the vast majority of the western world population.

Pavlos

P.S For someone who does not care I've done a pretty good job of ranting about it in the end :)

Last edited by a moderator: