Coconut sugar

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Hello,
I am looking into alternative natural sweeteners as the artificial ones give me palpitations. Has anyone tried coconut sugar and what is the effect on blood sugar please? Am interested to try. Am also considering coconut flour as a change from my almond flour, is this any good for diabetics too?
Thank you in advance

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please note I am a newbie, but I believe coconut flour is good, and I'm aiming to get some to try. Incidentally I'm also trying buckweat flour (which isn't wheat) and brown rice flour which I haven't researched yet (it was a free gift ...) and so far I can report the buckwheat thickens gravy nicely.
Have you tried xylitol among the sweeteners? Just a thought.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that my taste changed as I cut the artificial sugars and sugars. I like coffee and tea without sugar now
I googled coconut sugar and it's is a carb sugar.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Thanks for the replies.

Deejay, what form does xylitol come in? Where do you get it please? Great tip on buckwheat flour thanks! Yes, I think I may get some coconut flour off amazon. Dubious about the sugar though - sugar is sugar after all!

Reactions: 2 people

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Beware that any sugar substitute ending in ol probably has laxative effects in sufficient amounts. However " xylitol is extracted from renewable resources such as corn cobs, and birch trees. Xylitol has about a third the calories as table sugar, also thought to aid in the prevention of dental caries, and reduce plaque formation." As Xylitol is not glucose it doesn't need insulin to move into the cells. It's used in the Peppersmith mints.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Also xylitol is poisonous to dogs, in case you have one.
I got it from a health food shop. It looks and tastes (to me, anyway) just like sugar. Shame we have to pay a £ price for modest enjoyment.

Reactions: 4 people

mike944

Try Stevia as a sugar replacement, it's natural and widely available. Coconut flour is good but I think needs to be used in moderation as it was very dry probably due to the fibre content. In fact I was using it due to the high fibre because a concern of low carb diet is not enough fibre.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
In recipes, many of them say coconut flour and coconut sugar as separate ingredients. I always use a very tiny amount of stevia instead. Depending on what recipe says for amount of coconut sugar depends on the amount of stevia use.

Never used sweeteners before but I do know that coconut flour and cocnut sugar aren't the same thing. Same as coconut cream and coconut milk or coconut water...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm pretty sure coconut sugar is not any different than regular sugar, except maybe the taste. :jimlad:

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Please note I am a newbie, but I believe coconut flour is good, and I'm aiming to get some to try. Incidentally I'm also trying buckweat flour (which isn't wheat) and brown rice flour which I haven't researched yet (it was a free gift ...) and so far I can report the buckwheat thickens gravy nicely.
Have you tried xylitol among the sweeteners? Just a thought.
Yes I do like xylitiol ...not cheap but I have baked with it and it works for me ...
Coconut flour is also good , I sometimes mix it with normal organic flour though that is just me ...but it allows me to bake sometimes ... :)
And of course neither product are cheap ....but they work ...
Rice flour makes great shortbread ....I have only made it once but it works ....
There are some really good recepies if you fancy something sweet on this site ....