Very very high levels!!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Big Rob

I would learn or update yourself on what to do with high bg's.

Such as @mushypea stated.. Its normally a correction bolus you give with high DKA levels.

If you are tired you should still wake yourself up a minimum of every 2 hours until your levels have started to substantially reduce.. (Under 12.0 for me)

And always if you get a high level like that which suddenly occurs... Was your hands thoroughly and re test. It's easy to have prepared food and still have a residue of it on your finger tips.

You may well have a different unknown reason to us for giving 50 units of basal.. But personally increasing basal is normally only done for a longer term illness such as flu or steroid treatment etc

Reactions: 2 people

Bigrobxxx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thrush
Got an appointment on Friday with my diabetic nurse so will seek advice about what to do, did stop taking metformin a few weeks ago so will ask about it all x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is your BMI? If too high which it may be then you must set a daily limit for carb intake to get weight and hence BS down as insulin resistance fades. Go for 150gm/day initially and adjust based on meter reading 2 hours after a meal over several days. As others have said you need to increase your insulins if the BS goes high again ensuring you test frequently but too many carbs and too much insulin will equate to weight gain and a vicious circle ensues due to insulin resistance. Sorry if that's a bit hard but it hopefully you can avoid risking very high BS in the future.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So are you on a basal and bolus regime?