Eggs

Eleanor

Hi, I have re-registered. I used to be Ellen. Before I went on meds and was just diet controlled I went for a Chinese meal. The next day I felt terrible and really bad tempered. Next time I saw a doctor I mentioned it and she said Chinese food can be very high in fat (depends what you choose) and raised levels of fat make your blood sugar go up too. I have no idea how that works but I certainly didn't feel very good. I don't think the occasional egg will do any harm but eating a high fat diet isn't a good idea for a diabetic.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It could also have been MSG which the chinese use a lot off.It can play havoc with your moods as well,and give you headaches.

A

Anonymous

Not had a egg for ages. I do like them though. I use to eat them alot but then stopped eating them. I might have one tomorrow :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Eleanor, your Chinese restaurant story reminds me of the woman who blamed the garlic butter after her 2 day long battle to get her blood sugars down following a pasta and garlic bread session! Maybe the carbs had a little bit to do with it? Whatever else fat does, it doesn't raise blood sugar in anyone!

Anyway, I was puzzled by your comment, Rick, that 'It's a fact that carbs are necessary for exercise'. NOW you tell me! If only I'd known before I did my duathlon this morning after my bacon and eggs, or those fantastic Masai guys ran the London marathon on a diet of blood, milk and meat.

While I've yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy their carbs, they're not 'necessary' for anything.

All the best,

fergus

Eleanor

I didn't even enjoy the meal either! I hadn't thought about MSG. The doctor definitely said too much fat can raise blood sugar. She could have been mistaken if she wasn't au fait with diabetes. I was so cranky that day I actually wanted to kick someone! I didn't of course.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
However just found this:

Finally, it is well known that consuming fat or protein with carbohydrates substantially slows down the digestion of the carbohydrates. The more fat or protein are consumed, the more slowly the carbohydrates are digested, delaying their effect on the blood sugar.

This, combined with gluconeogenesis and the glucagon stimulating effect of amino acids, can produce what is commonly termed "the pizza effect." This varies among people, but most commonly people see their blood glucose as quite normal two to three hours after a high-protein or high-fat meal (such as pizza parlor pizza or dinner at the House of Prime Rib), but see a precipitous spike in blood glucose five to seven hours after the meal.

Not everyone experiences this effect, and I haven't been able to find any real quantification of it in the medical literature. From what I've seen and heard from others the effect seems to be tied to smaller body size, greater insulin sensitivity, and unusually large protein or fat intake.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto/pfandbs.html

So maybe there is something in it after all!!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Even though i'm not a fascist, i read the Daily Mail again today(15/04/08).
On page 43 there's an article entitled "yes it IS safe to go to work on an egg a day"
apparently this time eggs are high in protein and low in calories and full of
vitamins A,B and D while containing only 5g of fat.

I look forward to next weeks article "Eat an egg and you will die a slow painful death" :mrgreen:

Rick

Fergus, I didn't say it was impossible to exercise on a diet of low carbs and as I've said before, bored, bored, bored, that if it works for you go for it. However, you really want to be the kid at the front of the class with an indignant smile and an 'aren't I so clever attitaude'. Eat what you want, I don't care, it is a 'fact' that the body begins exercise from an anaerobic state and, though I may not have as much scientific diabetes/diet related knowledge as yourself (but I am a triathlon coach, county level athlete and personal trainer but I guess that means nothing) but it does mean that the body burns simple sugars at the start of exercise, not for long but at the start; it's all I said, read the **** posting!
You must go very slowly if you're trying to tell me that you don't consume any carbs for a duathlon as body chemistry dictates a burn of simple carbs if you're working at anywhere near 80% of max heart rate. This is not based on just my training but everyone, even diabetics, need fuel to exercise and your stuff about the masai: are you trying to tell me that blood contains no sugar and that it just magically transfers around the body?
They 'only' managed a 5hr 30min run (or someting like that); are you telling me the winner in 2:06 fueled his run with bacon and eggs - I don't think so.
I didn't come to fight but you're nuts and this forum is just crazy; it's do it our way or we'll throw facts and figures in our self-righteous way until you buckle or get bored, well call me the latter, best of luck to everyone.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rick,Fergus.Let's keep it civil!! You both see things from different points of view and are equally enthusiastic about it. Let's not start another flame war please!!

LesleyB

Yep - fat slows the metabolism of carbohydrate, the carbs from chips enter your bloodstream much later than the carbs from plain boiled potatoes.

Everyone is different though and you could eat the exact same meal every day of the week and the action it has on your body can be different due to stress levels, hormone levels, activity levels etc.

I like eggs, carbohydrates, chips, beer and the other types of eggs, I eat all those in moderation. My sugars aren't perfect but I try.

How about some open honest advice and encouragement rather that getting aggressive when people disagree. although it is worth nothing that there is no tonal effect when you are using electronic forms of conversation, so something fairly banal can appear aggressive. :D use smilies, people then know for sure that you are being nice......

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Rick, EASY tiger!

I'm not looking to fight anyone, let alone a county level athlete. I thought one of the great virtues of this forum was to enable a reasoned debate, without resorting to abuse and name calling. Your opinion is obviously different from mine and that's cool. But if it's going to get all nasty, it's probably not worth the effort.

Anyway, the low-carb duathlon went very well, thanks, and not too slow. Top ranked Vet, so I'm very pleased about that.

A couple of points on the metabolism issue, though. Most of the bodies physical energy is generated within the mitochondria - the power plants of the cell. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is the fuel for this process. Either glucose or fatty acids can provide a source for this fuel. A glucose molecule provides 36 ATP molecules whereas even a short-chain fatty acid with 6 carbon atoms will provide 48 ATP molecules. So in essence, fats supply considerably more energy than carbohydrates.

Also, the body is a tremendously resourceful thing, and can manufacture its own carbohydrate via gluconeogenesis - synthesis of amino acids. Because it does this on an 'as-required' basis, it eliminates the need for excessive insulin and blood glucose levels which large quantities of dietary carbohydrates create.

I hope that's helpful.

All the best,

fergus

PaulT

Eleanor said:
Hi, I have re-registered. I used to be Ellen. Before I went on meds and was just diet controlled I went for a Chinese meal. The next day I felt terrible and really bad tempered. Next time I saw a doctor I mentioned it and she said Chinese food can be very high in fat (depends what you choose) and raised levels of fat make your blood sugar go up too. I have no idea how that works but I certainly didn't feel very good. I don't think the occasional egg will do any harm but eating a high fat diet isn't a good idea for a diabetic.
I have the same feeling as Eleanor when eating junk-food, short-tempered and really rough in the morning. Does anyone now why?

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Had a good week with eggs - 4 goose, 4 duck and a couple of extra large fee range hen from the local farm shop Some fried (olive oil and butter), one omelette some boiled and a couple of poached. Restarted dairy products after the dietician made it clear that their consumpstion had no real effect on the level of cholesterol. My last Hba1c was 5.2 and the cholesterol was 2.1. I do, however, keep carbs to a minimum, have no salt and nothing that contains sugar.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi Paul.

It is probably because of hidden fat, salt and sugar, and preservatives and addatives in processed food and ready meals.

What you experience is withdrawal symptoms from the gunk they use to cheapen the cost of producing these poisons.

When you eat good wholesome food you feel well. But engage with the food demons and the mood goes down.

Sugar is addictive, that's why we have all these fat children.

Fat is addictive.That's why we see fat adults.

Salt is addictive. that's why heart disease and kidney failure carry so many off to their eternal rest.

Okay, that's a simplistic view and there are many other factors. But eating ready meals and other junk food means you consume far more fat, sugar and salt than you need. And your body will come to crave them in the same way it will crave heroin once introduced.
Then when you withdraw, you get withdrawal symptoms. that's why you feel so rough - you are going cold turkey to Kentucky Fried.