Diabetic coma - hypo

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Fortunately I havnt had one of these in a while, but there was once when I was living alone when I woke up on the living room floor and tried with difficulty to answer the phone. I had been in a hypo coma for about 30 hours. I felt very drugged but the symptoms went after a day or two. It was quite a shock to learn how long I had been 'out of it'. I sometimes get different hypo experiences when I just shut down without any hypo symptoms. The funny thing is that my cat seems to know and starts to touch my face to wake me up. Fortunately this isnt very often.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fortunately I havnt had one of these in a while, but there was once when I was living alone when I woke up on the living room floor and tried with difficulty to answer the phone. I had been in a hypo coma for about 30 hours. I felt very drugged but the symptoms went after a day or two. It was quite a shock to learn how long I had been 'out of it'. I sometimes get different hypo experiences when I just shut down without any hypo symptoms. The funny thing is that my cat seems to know and starts to touch my face to wake me up. Fortunately this isnt very often.
O God! So you were in a coma for 30 hours laying on the floor?! That must have been so scary! :(

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally speaking the only time I pass out is overnight. I sleep so deeply that I don't feel it coming on (or the earthquake that woke the rest of the campsite, or the kids when they were babies crying for a feed overnight).

Luckily we now have Glucogon pens in the fridge, other half used to have to phone for an ambulance but as he's got older he panics at the thought of using a phone :eek: :D

Also since I went through the change I don't have many, maybe only 1 or 2 per annum.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed I wasn't well educated about how insulin worked and what would happen if you took it and never ate. One day I took my insulin and never ate with it, awhile later I got tired, and more tired and then finally said to myself I'd go lay down and rest on my bed for awhile. Before I knew it I'd drifted off, and the next thing I knew I woke up, covered in this pink sticky syrup (I guess it was of some form of glucose) being carried down the stairs on a stretcher by firemen and bundled into an ambulance which sent me to A&E.

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the experiences as mentioned above. Different people all vary with symptoms. I am also a very deep sleeper and very rarely wake up without an alarm for 9 hrs easily.
When I have had a hypo (normally always while asleep) a wake up with a partner saying you had a hypo in the night; I feel so embarrassed more than anything for days. Usually some hypo gel is rubbed in my mouth when unconscious and apparently I come back, maybe shout out something then go back to sleep. I am usually soaking wet and have a headache for a few hours after.

Glucose levels are very strange, I have tested before when I feel a little dizzy, light head, maybe mild shaking in myself and levels can be above 5. Other times i have tested and they are 1.6 - 3 and i feel fine!! obviously i eat/ drink something immediately when that low and i have confirmed the levels on the opposite hand.

Regards