Resistant starch - Trust Me I'm a Doctor

mike944

Long time since I've posted, but just by chance caught an episode of Trust Me I'm a Doctor on TV and thought it may be of interest. Basically they were discussing "Resistant starch" which I had never heard of. If starchy foods such as pasta and potatoes are boiled then allowed to cool then some of the starch converts to resistant starch. What they found is that with pasta if it is then re-heated even more of it becomes resistant starch.

Interestingly for us this means that resistant starch does not digest like normal starch and does not increase blood sugar as the starch is resistant to enzymes that break it down. In fact the resistant starch passes through the body undigested and becomes dietary fibre instead, which is good. The results on blood sugar test were pretty dramatic, much lower spike and a faster drop off. It basically half's the carbs.

I try and low carb but do like a spag bol now and again. I'll be prepping the pasta in advance next time, chilling it and then reheating it. I would be interested to see what happens if you boil, cool then roast potatoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Trust me Im a Doctor programme on BBC2 was fascinating and the pasta experiment was brilliant. If anybody missed it it would be worth watching on catch up.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me and most would have to avoid the the sauce as this would be high in sugars and carbs, but I am going to experiment with other foods as to the effect of chilling then reheating.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For me and most would have to avoid the the sauce as this would be high in sugars and carbs, but I am going to experiment with other foods as to the effect of chilling then reheating.

I always make my on variant of sauce, so I know what's in it. :)

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
wonder if it works for pizza , oh now that would be amazing. please oh please let this be possible

epicure_2002

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
yes, it just made me wonder.....if reheating made the proteins in the starch resistant to digestive enzymes, could there be some way to have a similar reverse effect on the body's resisting insulin as in type 2 diabetes.?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think maybe 'they' are trying to sell more ready meals by promoting reheating of carbs? It would make sense since the carbs are the cheapest bit of the ready meal, very few ready meals don't contain carbs and very many contain pasta. All this talk in the media about healthy eating and diabetes is probably hitting sales.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long time since I've posted, but just by chance caught an episode of Trust Me I'm a Doctor on TV and thought it may be of interest. Basically they were discussing "Resistant starch" which I had never heard of. If starchy foods such as pasta and potatoes are boiled then allowed to cool then some of the starch converts to resistant starch. What they found is that with pasta if it is then re-heated even more of it becomes resistant starch.

Interestingly for us this means that resistant starch does not digest like normal starch and does not increase blood sugar as the starch is resistant to enzymes that break it down. In fact the resistant starch passes through the body undigested and becomes dietary fibre instead, which is good. The results on blood sugar test were pretty dramatic, much lower spike and a faster drop off. It basically half's the carbs.

I try and low carb but do like a spag bol now and again. I'll be prepping the pasta in advance next time, chilling it and then reheating it. I would be interested to see what happens if you boil, cool then roast potatoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw that too. Looks interesting doesn't it. I do boil my roast potatoes before I roast them, not for long, just enough to soften the outsides. Then I drain them, pour in a drop of olive oil, put the lid on and shake them around before putting them in the oven. My partner has eaten these a few times without any dire results.