What need I look for in moisturiser for my feet?

dogkit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have been using Aqueous Cream on my feet for over a year now, and I have just been told that it is not a moisturiser after all! I need to find something else. Please can anyone suggest a suitable moisturiser, or suggest what ingredients I should look for.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The best by far IMHO is a product called Flexitol Heel Balm, it's safe for diabetic feet and it was my Podiatrist who recommended it to me.

Reactions: 4 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
The best by far IMHO is a product called Flexitol Heel Balm, it's safe for diabetic feet and it was my Podiatrist who recommended it to me.
Flexitol is just great and OK for people with diabetes - I use it.

Reactions: 4 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Palmers cocoa butter, aqueous cream isn't a moisturisers but it does help with dry skin especially if you use it then cover area, i.e. put on socks, it works best after bathing, my son had eczema used to bath him smother him in aqueous cream then wrap him in damp bandages.

Aguila

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wind & rain
My GP recently prescribed Oilatum Cream. I had been using Aqueous Cream but it wasn't doing any good.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Argan oil too.
And shea butter (raw, organic from eBay).

Both are amazing.

But they say you shouldn't use shea if you have a latex allergy.

Reactions: 2 people

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aqueous Cream is no longer recommended as a leave on moisturiser, as it contains sodium lauryl sulphate SLS which can cause irritation and potentially skin thinning.
As previous posters have said Flexitrol and dermatronics heel balm are both effective at dealing with cracked, hard rough skin, however for routine use the OP may wish to look at ointment type products for very dry skin, often best used at night and cream based products for day time use.

Keeping skin well hydrated is important as good skin integrity helps prevent skin damage and hence reduces the risk of ulcers etc.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use coconut oil. I find its the only oil that will give me a few days of dry free skin. It also warms ma feetz :p

Reactions: 2 people