Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou. Id got my daytime readings down so well with diet and Met. But I couldn't drop my fasting which rose and rose shortly after 3am so my dn suggested Forgazia too. And I never imagined it would work so well in just 3 days
She said once my body was used to running on lower levels I'll be able to stop it.. the support I've had on here is amazing and I'm very happy on low carbing :)
In greek we have a rather macabre saying which loosely translated goes "even death is sweater in good company".

Having other people who know what it is like and are going through the same thing themselves offering guidance and support really is invaluable in my experience.

It's amazing how soon one gets to care how perfect strangers are coping and progressing, but then again after a while on the forum they soon stop feeling like strangers at all and more like friends.

Reactions: 8 people

alliebee

That's a beautiful post ....and how true...6 weeks ago I was in despair. With readings up in the high teens....I've felt like people do care...they take endless time to give advice and encourage..I'm just so grateful

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 at bedtime
5.7 this morning.

I am getting a little concerned about my current batch of Codefree strips S0314056. Since I started them my levels across the board seem to be up on what they should be with no change in routine or diet, not ill, etc. Yesterday and so far today I have been double checking each test with my Accu-chek Mobile. This is reading about 0.5mmol/l lower consistently (not always, but never higher) and the readings are more in line with what I was expecting. I will keep doing this today to see what happens as I have just opened a new Codefree tub. For the time being I am only using the Codefree readings for my averages and records.

Anyone else on that batch?

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the same batch number of code free Bluetit, I had new delivery this week and start new tub today, my previous delivery was also s0314056 too

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same batch number of code free Bluetit, I had new delivery this week and start new tub today, my previous delivery was also s0314056 too

Thanks Kim. I am clutching at straws here! It's awful when you start to distrust your meter. I know we are only looking at trends as T2's but when my trends start marching upwards for no apparent reason I have to find something to blame. ;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.8 for me today, so is well on Planet Breathe.

Only another 10 days on my own until Mr B comes home. I’m so looking forward to it, although it suddenly dawned on me yesterday that I have a lot to get done before he gets here! It so easy to become slovenly overly relaxed when living alone.

Following Sam’s post about popcorn, I’ve been googling savoury options, and have some lovely ideas, which aren’t high carb at all, provided helpings are “sensible”. So, even I will have some seemingly sinful nibbles, and of course popcorn could be a decent carrier for dips.

My next google is going to be for a very tart seasonal (ideally lower-carb) fruit, that I can use in panna cotta. That, as a dessert option, again brings me back into the menu at the end of the meal, and limits other people’s discomfort when I side-step puddings. I’m thinking of experimenting with cranberries, which will obviously require sweetener, unfortunately, but I want it to be something everyone would consider, as opposed to only me, whilst everyone else has a carb-tastic option.

Yes, that time of year is almost upon us. Every time I go shopping at the moment, more and more shops remind us. I enjoy the conviviality, but far less so the commerciality.

On that note, before it all gets a bit depressing,………………. Have a great day everyone.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AndBreathe
Why not raspberries. Probably can't get them fresh in the tropics but I find even frozen they taste great and they are low carb. I think I would mash them and add a tiny bid of brandy before adding as a topping to the panacotta. Or you could turn them into a sauce by melting in some batter. I like tart tastes so I never add sweetener.

Pavlos

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read this thread for a while and have just read back and wanted to say...congratulations diana:)

my fasting bs was 6.1 - higher than normal but I have a sore throat and cold so could be down to that.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe
Why not raspberries. Probably can't get them fresh in the tropics but I find even frozen they taste great and they are low carb. I think I would mash them and add a tiny bid of brandy before adding as a topping to the panacotta. Or you could turn them into a sauce by melting in some batter. I like tart tastes so I never add sweetener.

Pavlos

I'm in UK at the moment, and will be until the turn of the year. I'm actually eating a few raspberries at the moment, but they're all very sweet. I'm sure that's all part of my tatsebuds changing, but I have always liked tart tastes. I'm also still eating quite a bit of rhubarb, with just a little sweetener to take the sharpest edge off. I guess I was looking for something that might be a bit different. I wonder if I can find frozen gooseberries.

We can get raspberries in the tropics, from time to time, but they're imported from the States and aside from being ridiculously expensive (almost £10 for 150gr), they're usually beyond their best by the time they're on the supermarket shelves. As a Scot, I have been spoilt in my expectations of raspberries, and berries, in general.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lemons are not guitar mature at the moment, they are still green and not as sour or juicy as they will get later on, but they do smell divine. Maybe I am weird but I love eating them as fruit, one slice at a time.

Not that I am suggesting that you should add them to panacotta.

I am not sure why but quinces came to mind. No idea how high in carbs they are but at least they go well with cinnamon which is supposed to be good for us. Just checked myfittnesspal and they are 15g per 100g. If you mash them and spread thin you should not be adding too many carbs

Other thoughts: quavas, what is it with me and fruit starting with q today, or passion fruit.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been in the 7's since Thursday, the general anaesthetic from Thursdays operation doesn't seem to have caused too many problems. Am very bloated though assume that will go away and still feel bit faint every so often though. Then the next thing is carpel tunnel op on Tuesday under local. That will be fun doing everything left handed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemons are not guitar mature at the moment, they are still green and not as sour or juicy as they will get later on, but they do smell divine. Maybe I am weird but I love eating them as fruit, one slice at a time.

Not that I am suggesting that you should add them to panacotta.

I am not sure why but quinces came to mind. No idea how high in carbs they are but at least they go well with cinnamon which is supposed to be good for us. Just checked myfittnesspal and they are 15g per 100g. If you mash them and spread thin you should not be adding too many carbs

Other thoughts: quavas, what is it with me and fruit starting with q today, or passion fruit.

Now you have me thinking.

You made me recall watching Jamie Oliver use very thinly sliced lemon in its natural state in a salad. He used the slicing blade on a food proccessor to achieve the sliver slices, which though tart, were fine (because of the amount in a slice). I'm going to experiement with lime, which i routinely prefer.

And additionally, a while slice at the top of the panna cotta would have a lovely appearance.

Thanks for that.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
5.2 pre breakfast, happy enough with that.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One more suggestion pomegranate 17g per 100 carb but each serving will be a lot less. The ruby colored ones have a more tart taste. Great oxidizing agent as well. Not to mention it will look great bright Crimson fruit against white panacotta.

In all honesty it is not the starch I miss since cutting right back on carbs it's the fruit . I just love them and for just about anyone else other than is diabetics they are so healthy.

In matter of fact, I just tested before lunch and I found myself at 3,9, which is way low for me. I opened the fridge and staring me in the face was a plate full of pomegranate seeds, all cleaned up and ready for my son to have as an afternoon snack, so I helped myself to a couple of spoonfuls.

I am hoping that as I lose weight and hopefully become less insulin resistant I will be able to reintroduce some more fruit into my diet without affecting my glucose levels.

For now, I just have fruit to correct lows or to prevent liver dumps when I am about to exercise,

Status
Not open for further replies.