Does managing your diabetes wear you down?

K

Kat100

Sorry I am late ...yes somedays ..but often I don't really think about is to much ,,but I know it is there ...can't get away from that ..
Yes there are bad days as well where you feel unwell you know what I mean ..we often suffer in silence kind of times ...
I have other health conditions ...they really get to me , they can be difficult to manage and the medication and the and the side effects are a problem , that does include my metformin ...side effects not nice ...

Yes I was unwell before being diagnosed so it was a relief to find out the cause of one problem ...we often have more than one problem
But having a chat or a smile here really helps , where support is available you don't feel so alone ...a sense of belonging that is really nice ..
A touch of kindness ....makes me feel,so much better ..best wishes ...Kat

Reactions: 8 people

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think in some ways I'm fortunate - I'm a type 1 and had it for 38/39 years since a young child, I know no other life really. I've gone from pee'ing in a pot and adding a fizzy tablet to get an idea of what my sugars were doing to the 'invention' of testing your blood with BM sticks to finally blood meters, injecting 4/6 times a day with a thick 1 inch needle to pens and now a pump, I've had some near misses over the years but I'm still here - 38/39 years later I've perfect blood pressure, cholesterol, no eye problems and despite a couple of annoying other immune system conditions I like to think of my type 1 as a 'journey', it's a journey I continue 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Reactions: 11 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Kat100 - Its the little things that matter the most and can have the greatest impact . :)

Minnie45 - Diabetes is indeed 24/7 we cant take a holiday or vacation from it . :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Knowing others Won't learn from my mistakes, Being TERMINALLY ILL !
Kat100 - Its the little things that matter the most and can have the greatest impact . :)

Minnie45 - Diabetes is indeed 24/7 we cant take a holiday or vacation from it . :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more with your reply to Minnie45, no we can never ignore, deny, or hide from our Diabetes, the consequences CAN be way too Terrible !

Reactions: 3 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the one thing that gets me down, when I'm in a down kinda mood, is the thought that this thing is with me forever. There's no rests, no breaks, no let ups. That can get wearing.
Before this, when I had a bad day, I would look for solace in the type of comfort treats that probably helped to get me here in the first place. But now if I have a bad day there's the immense amount of guilt if I even so much as cheat just a little bit.
I'd love to have the wonderfully positive attitude that others so easily have... but I guess that I'm less than 2 years in, I'm still a newbie, and I'm still coming to terms with this.

Reactions: 5 people

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think in some ways I'm fortunate - I'm a type 1 and had it for 38/39 years since a young child, I know no other life really. I've gone from pee'ing in a pot and adding a fizzy tablet to get an idea of what my sugars were doing to the 'invention' of testing your blood with BM sticks to finally blood meters, injecting 4/6 times a day with a thick 1 inch needle to pens and now a pump, I've had some near misses over the years but I'm still here - 38/39 years later I've perfect blood pressure, cholesterol, no eye problems and despite a couple of annoying other immune system conditions I like to think of my type 1 as a 'journey', it's a journey I continue 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Fortunate indeed, but I suspect a lot more hard work keeping yourself so well than you imply, all I can say is Keep Up the Good Work !!!

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think the one thing that gets me down, when I'm in a down kinda mood, is the thought that this thing is with me forever. There's no rests, no breaks, no let ups. That can get wearing.
Before this, when I had a bad day, I would look for solace in the type of comfort treats that probably helped to get me here in the first place. But now if I have a bad day there's the immense amount of guilt if I even so much as cheat just a little bit.
I'd love to have the wonderfully positive attitude that others so easily have... but I guess that I'm less than 2 years in, I'm still a newbie, and I'm still coming to terms with this.

Sent you a short PM

K

Kat100

Hi still not two years for me yet ...it still feels very new as well ...not sure how we cope really , but maybe we deserve more credit than we give ourselves ...take care ..Kat

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It used to get me down - which was why I ended up on Anti-depressants and burried my head in the sand. I didn't know what to eat or what to do for the best - I knew the NHS diet wasn't helping. I couldn't loose weight on it and my BS were terrible my half yearly tests. Everything just kept getting worse. Then I discovered this site - and I made some amazing discoveries, which helped me to blow off he blues. Whilst I know I have a long way to go to be totally in control, I now believe I can do it. I now know what I can and cant eat, and the things I can get away with ocassionally. My meter keeps me in check... Yes I hate the sore fingers... but there like war wounds to this great battle that I am now starting to win!! lol

I have my annual checkup soon - and far from feeling stressed out about it like I usually do, I'm looking forward to it. I have lost some weight, I know I have been managing my BS levels better by my testing scores... and I have a heap of questions to ask the Dr including can I have free test strips!! He wont know whats hit him.

But more importantly... I feel very positive now.

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

I initially was very miserable. I have multiple sclerosis and that's bad enough. Then diabetes dx. But this forum has been a blessing for me. I've learnt so much and don't feel alone with it all. I'm a nurse and so knew all about complications but even that didn't stop me from sticking my head in the sand...now I'm feeling better than I have for years . And all by changing my diet. Life is looking up.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fortunate indeed, but I suspect a lot more hard work keeping yourself so well than you imply, all I can say is Keep Up the Good Work !!!

Thank you and yes lol quite a bit of hard work but the results are worth it :)

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all i find living wl my type1 diabetes incredible hard the older i get

type1 38/39yrs, bin on anti depressants 22yrs,

asmanitu07

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, everybody.

I have been enjoying reading this website. I'm really learning a lot. The reason I've been researching is that I have diabetes and I really don't want to keep taking insulin and getting side effects. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on some good natural remedies for diabetes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think it depends on whether you are type 1 or 2 and when you were diagnosed.

As a type 1 that was diagnosed at thirteen it was a massive shock and then we just got on with it. It's been part of life for twice as long as I was without it so I don't really remember any other way. Growing up with it like that probably gives you a different view though.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sometimes it bugs and in the beginning it was hard as I've always like sweet stuff but the longer I follow lchf the more I am losing my appetite for sweet stuff. I do have the odd bit of cake if we go out but usually it's all too sickly nowadays and I usually share a piece with hubbie. If I really fancy something then I'll have a little bit but gradually I am finding that I have it and think what was all the fuss about! Made some snickers balls recently and have eaten two so far. Am considering throwing the rest away. I haven't cracked crisps yet (I always have peanuts but on the odd occasion when I do have crisps then I really enjoy them.) christmas is going to be a challenge as I love Christmas cake and mince pies! This will be my first Christmas as s diabetic! Love the new size though! Picked up a size 14 jumper in the sale to try on and it was too big! How good does that feel!

Reactions: 2 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Scandichic,

Your reply had me grinning. I cant wait to feel that way. I'm just a beginner at the moment on the LCHF journey, but I've lost nearly a stone since I started. I struggle a bit on cutting out what I call the hidden carbs in veg and gravy and things like that. but I'm getting there.

Christmas for me will also be a challenge - how can I not have roast potatoes!!?? Still I am sure I will cope because as you say, the less carbs I eat the less i feel I need them and I can still have creams, so maybe I will make a no carb trifle for myself instead of the mince pies and cake.

Anyway as its people like you that have got me going on this good road to better managing my diabetes and you all keep me very much motivated I wanted to say well done and thank you.
K

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi Scandichic,

Your reply had me grinning. I cant wait to feel that way. I'm just a beginner at the moment on the LCHF journey, but I've lost nearly a stone since I started. I struggle a bit on cutting out what I call the hidden carbs in veg and gravy and things like that. but I'm getting there.

Christmas for me will also be a challenge - how can I not have roast potatoes!!?? Still I am sure I will cope because as you say, the less carbs I eat the less i feel I need them and I can still have creams, so maybe I will make a no carb trifle for myself instead of the mince pies and cake.

Anyway as its people like you that have got me going on this good road to better managing my diabetes and you all keep me very much motivated I wanted to say well done and thank you.
K
A stone is fab! It's all relative! There are people who have lost much more than me! You'll get there! Hugsx