• Start Date

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...and the guy I saw today had 6 fingers!!!
Any how just thought I would update everyone! :)

Hi,
Long time no speak.. Glad to hear about the progress with the back. But. More to the point was the "sixth finger" fully functional? :cool:

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Nicola glad to hear that you have now got a date for your back operatio. The unknown is always scary. But im sure you will be just fine:)
I have had two operations, first one at the age of 42 1/2. I am a bit of a wuss with operations and blood and guts, even though the nursing profession runs in my family !! Take care x

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi,
Long time no speak.. Glad to hear about the progress with the back. But. More to the point was the "sixth finger" fully functional? :cool:

Hello long time no speak indeed! Sorry about the slow reply...not been myself lately! Erm well I am not actually sure haha he was using that hand alot...even to look at my eye....cringe.com lol! I am so mean! haha Hope you are well? x

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi Nicola glad to hear that you have now got a date for your back operatio. The unknown is always scary. But im sure you will be just fine:)
I have had two operations, first one at the age of 42 1/2. I am a bit of a wuss with operations and blood and guts, even though the nursing profession runs in my family !! Take care x

The thing that scares me the most about it is the op going wrong and then me not being able to walk! i have had one operation in my life and that was on my ankle, as I had broke fractured and dislocated it so it had to be put in back in place with pins and plates! I was scared for that at first but I was in so much pain that I just wanted it over with! Honestly I don't really know what to feel about this one...I mean I want it done but yeah you know? x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Already posted a couple of times on freegle! Got quite a lot in the warehouse at work from people there! The main things we need though are a fridge, cooker and sofa! X

Nicola - Freecycle is also very good. Whenever I have wanted to offload "stuff", we've been inundated with interest and it's gone in a trice.

D

Deleted member 83869

Nicola - Freecycle is also very good. Whenever I have wanted to offload "stuff", we've been inundated with interest and it's gone in a trice.
Hello, I have been on freecycle too...I haven't really asked anyone anymore as I don't have anywhere to store it but once I know that I have a place then I will get onto them!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I have been on freecycle too...I haven't really asked anyone anymore as I don't have anywhere to store it but once I know that I have a place then I will get onto them!

Don't you receive emails of everything being offered or wanted? (No need to respond........)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's probably worthwhile. You never know what's going to come up, and it'll give you an indication of how often some things appear on there. I guess in London you probably do see far more than we do here.

A while ago, we responded to a couple of "Wanted" mails, because we realised we had what was required and never used it. It was simpler than taking it to the tip!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't forget you need just basics like cutlery, crockery, glasses, saucepans- unless you can extract a few from home!!

You only need a basic few when starting out!! Otherwise, the more you have, the more to wash up!! I was awful I admit.. I bought my first flat on my 18th birthday and when my dad was visiting whilst I was at work.. He could never find any cups or plates..
As I hadn't done the washing up, I would hide the full bowl under the sink!! He cottoned on to me though!! And used to do it for me, bless him.

D

Deleted member 83869

Don't forget you need just basics like cutlery, crockery, glasses, saucepans- unless you can extract a few from home!!

You only need a basic few when starting out!! Otherwise, the more you have, the more to wash up!! I was awful I admit.. I bought my first flat on my 18th birthday and when my dad was visiting whilst I was at work.. He could never find any cups or plates..
As I hadn't done the washing up, I would hide the full bowl under the sink!! He cottoned on to me though!! And used to do it for me, bless him.

Blimey I forgot about cutlery and stuff haha! Well not plates we saw a set in Home Bargains for a fiver!! Which was good!! I best get looking me thinks! Washing up will be okay...I do it now because Andrew doesn't grr! x

D

Deleted member 83869

It's probably worthwhile. You never know what's going to come up, and it'll give you an indication of how often some things appear on there. I guess in London you probably do see far more than we do here.

A while ago, we responded to a couple of "Wanted" mails, because we realised we had what was required and never used it. It was simpler than taking it to the tip!

I will be getting on the case and yeah I receive atleast 10 emails a day!

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
You will get through this , worrying is more natural than you realise....
But all in a days work to the team who will be improving your health ....
You should have it done as soon as you can , I have tried those delaying tactics before ...they don't work ;)
What a lovely holiday to look forward to x
Can't get on with cats,the way they creep up on garden birds,torture them and then
Either leave them to die in pain or take them home then tuck into a bowel
of cat food.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello long time no speak indeed! Sorry about the slow reply...not been myself lately! Erm well I am not actually sure haha he was using that hand alot...even to look at my eye....cringe.com lol! I am so mean! haha Hope you are well? x

He may have appeared to be using "that hand" a lot as you subconsciously picked up on the extra finger..?
Try & get him to do a Vulcan greeting...?? Just say "live long an prosper" when you enter the room...
I'm all good thanks..! :D

D

Deleted member 83869

He may have appeared to be using "that hand" a lot as you subconsciously picked up on the extra finger..?
Try & get him to do a Vulcan greeting...?? Just say "live long an prosper" when you enter the room...
I'm all good thanks..! :D

Haha probably lol!! I don't think I will see him again as he was a registrar...I think haha! And good!! :)

G

graj0

Hello all...you probably all know me because I am moaning about something or the other anyway!! I had my appointment for my back today...and I have the op in about 2-3 months hopefully! For once I am actually quite nervous now as it is such a big operation...and the guy I saw today had 6 fingers!!!
Any how just thought I would update everyone! :)
Hiya,
I'm having a knee replacement in November and another one in March and I'm like a kid a Christmas, I can't wait. Most of the time anyway and then an element of doubt and nervousness creeps in, especially if I'm tired or it's 4 o'clock in the morning and I'm trying to get to sleep.
When my brain is in logical mode, I look at the number of surgeries my surgeon and others like him have performed and remember how many of those ops were 100% completely successful and how many people can now walk properly and are new people with their newly found ability to do stuff.
So, based on my experience, and I know we're all different, and it's a different op, but, try and just think of the good things and all the things you'll be able to do that you can't do so well now.
There's a very good book that I read over thirty years ago called "The art of positive thinking" which amongst other things says that when you think negatively, a negative outcome isn't too surprising, it's almost a self fulfilling prophesy. It was true as well, so, try a keep positive, this operation is going to be an outstanding success and will have many many benefits. Most of all you'll be sitting in a lovely Parisian cafe next March thinking "what the heck was I thinking".
All the very best, we can share op stories if you like.
Almost forgot, six fingers? Crikey, my head would be saying "I wonder about his toes?" LOL

D

Deleted member 83869

Hiya,
I'm having a knee replacement in November and another one in March and I'm like a kid a Christmas, I can't wait. Most of the time anyway and then an element of doubt and nervousness creeps in, especially if I'm tired or it's 4 o'clock in the morning and I'm trying to get to sleep.
When my brain is in logical mode, I look at the number of surgeries my surgeon and others like him have performed and remember how many of those ops were 100% completely successful and how many people can now walk properly and are new people with their newly found ability to do stuff.
So, based on my experience, and I know we're all different, and it's a different op, but, try and just think of the good things and all the things you'll be able to do that you can't do so well now.
There's a very good book that I read over thirty years ago called "The art of positive thinking" which amongst other things says that when you think negatively, a negative outcome isn't too surprising, it's almost a self fulfilling prophesy. It was true as well, so, try a keep positive, this operation is going to be an outstanding success and will have many many benefits. Most of all you'll be sitting in a lovely Parisian cafe next March thinking "what the heck was I thinking".
All the very best, we can share op stories if you like.
Almost forgot, six fingers? Crikey, my head would be saying "I wonder about his toes?" LOL

Hello, Ooo that's a big op too! How do you see how many surgeries he has done? I just worry way too much!
Hahaha omg don't...feet makes me cringe as it is LOL!!! x

G

graj0

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Yourchoices/consultant-choice/Pages/consultant-data.aspx

You can check the outcomes of procedures performed by 3,500 consultants at the URL above. For me, I also knew a lot about the surgeon just by googling, so I knew that he'd been doing this particular surgery for 17 years, that he had worked in Australia, hence his love of surfing and all sports. Also that he was a pioneer in using the particular knee replacement that I'm having.
The NHS had been telling me for the last ten years (at least) that I was too young for a replacement that might need looking at again in 10 - 15 years. So I looked for and found a prosthetic that actually carries a 30 year warranty and they only do that with FDA approval. The FDA might be American rather than British, but as the Americans tend to be far more likely to sue if it doesn't do what it says on the box, then I'm happy with their approval and a 30 year warranty.
I'm pretty sure that all our surgeons are extremely good at their jobs, we have extremely high standards, but looking at outcomes is interesting because there are other factors. Again, in my case, TKR as it's known in the trade (Total Knee Replacement) can have different outcomes because of the way different people approach physio. I personally know someone who didn't do as they were told physio wise and is still in discomfort and walks with a limp. I also know a lady(a very determined positive lady) who had her surgery a bit later and can jive like it's going out of fashion. I think it's fair to say that we have to make all sorts of effort to stay on top. With diabetes, we certainly know how true that is.
All the best with your surgery, you won't know yourself afterwards. I don't know how much pain you're in now, but keep thinking of life without pain or pain killers. I can see the butterflies, smell the flowers and hear the babbling brook already (or whatever tranquil scene floats your boat).

Reactions: 6 people