Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lecture in association with Diabetes UK

Free admission, no pre-booking required

Date: 4th November 2014

Time: 17:30 - 18:45

Venue: Curtis Auditorium, Herschel Building

Type 2 diabetes has long been regarded as a lifelong, irreversible, condition. New techniques developed at Newcastle University have, however, made it clearer why the condition develops, and how best to treat it. It has also become clear why some individuals can develop Type 2 diabetes without being overweight or obese. This new, personal understanding of the commonest metabolic disease could revolutionise its management.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

For those who haven't already seen the Professor talk, he explains the Newcastle Diet in this video: http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

Reactions: 10 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Shame Newcastle is so far away. I would recommend watching his lecture to the nurses as it is a real eye opener to the T2 condition

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Type 2 diabetes has long been regarded as a lifelong, irreversible, condition. New techniques developed at Newcastle University have, however, made it clearer why the condition develops, and how best to treat it. It has also become clear why some individuals can develop Type 2 diabetes without being overweight or obese. This new, personal understanding of the commonest metabolic disease could revolutionise its management.

For those who haven't already seen the Professor talk, he explains the Newcastle Diet in this video: http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
Thank you. Wish I could be there, or alternatively make it mandatory viewing for health professionals.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might go as I went to uni there and would like to see the Curtis auditorium again. If it's the one I am thinking of, it was very retro seventies even in the eighties so hopefully they gave it a makeover.

la signora

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for this Indy. I watched the video. As I am not overweight (7st.13) I am very keen to understand how I have become pre diabetic and how to reverse to normal. Perhaps Prof. Taylor will be explaining that in his Newcastle lecture. I can't get to Newcastle but I am hoping the info will be shared on the internet.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be nice if someone closer could enquire about a webcam link?

ph1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thought it's about time I shared this. I contract and in March 2014 I decided to take 8 weeks off to follow the Newcastle University diet.
My last Hba1c in 2013 was 120-something and my blood glucose was 31.2 on March 2nd. I was 15st 5lbs on 2nd March. My blood pressure actually hit 210/117 just before I started. I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2000 so I've been diabetic for 14 years and my blood glucose rarely goes below 14 - 23.

Results: I completed the 600 calories a day diet as specified by Newcastle and my final weigfht on 28th April was 11st 7lbs, my blood glucose was in the 4s and 5s and my blood pressure went low (89/67 at one point but always around or below 110/70.
Just to prove that I had removed fat from the pancreas as opposed to just having low sugar due to the diet. I steadily put 2 and a half stone back on until today, 27th October.
My sugar is in the 4-6s regularly and that's even after pigging out and a good night on the tiles. I've been doing this for the last 6 months. My weight is now 14st 0lbs.
My Hba1c went from in the 120s in 2013 - to 117 in early 2014 - to 87 in April 2014 to - my last reading, at the start of October of 46.
I assume my next test will be lower still and my GP said if my Hba1c is low for the next one or two readings they will be marking me as non-diabetic. It's a good feeling when you call for your results and they say everything is 'normal'.

And that's all after having 6 months of massive over indulgence My sugar even went down to 4.1 after a very heavy night with some mates drinking Stella all night, proving my insulin was kicking in.
I'm happy with the results and am starting back with normal food and lifestyle from this week. I thoroughly recommend the Newcastle diet, it worked for me, although some diabetics have asked me how I did it and they baulk at the idea when I tell them. It's up to you to do it.
BTW I have no association with Newcastle Uni whatsoever and I did it by getting their diet sheet and info off their website. You don't have to see the lecture.

Eyesight:
Oh and BTW, due to diabetes, my eyesight was short-sighted before the diet, I lost short and long sight during the diet and had to buy some temporary glassed from Wilkos then at the end of the diet I had an eye test and could read the smallest letters with ease.

Hope this helps somebody out there - Paul - Age (53)

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ph1 Well I'm glad this worked for you. I'm afraid it didn't work for me yet my HbA1c has never been above 52. I am still diabetic and my current HbA1c is 42. I also only managed to lose about a stone and a half doing this. It doesn't work for everyone.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought it's about time I shared this. I contract and in March 2014 I decided to take 8 weeks off to follow the Newcastle University diet.
My last Hba1c in 2013 was 120-something and my blood glucose was 31.2 on March 2nd. I was 15st 5lbs on 2nd March. My blood pressure actually hit 210/117 just before I started. I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2000 so I've been diabetic for 14 years and my blood glucose rarely goes below 14 - 23.

Results: I completed the 600 calories a day diet as specified by Newcastle and my final weigfht on 28th April was 11st 7lbs, my blood glucose was in the 4s and 5s and my blood pressure went low (89/67 at one point but always around or below 110/70.
Just to prove that I had removed fat from the pancreas as opposed to just having low sugar due to the diet. I steadily put 2 and a half stone back on until today, 27th October.
My sugar is in the 4-6s regularly and that's even after pigging out and a good night on the tiles. I've been doing this for the last 6 months. My weight is now 14st 0lbs.
My Hba1c went from in the 120s in 2013 - to 117 in early 2014 - to 87 in April 2014 to - my last reading, at the start of October of 46.
I assume my next test will be lower still and my GP said if my Hba1c is low for the next one or two readings they will be marking me as non-diabetic. It's a good feeling when you call for your results and they say everything is 'normal'.

And that's all after having 6 months of massive over indulgence My sugar even went down to 4.1 after a very heavy night with some mates drinking Stella all night, proving my insulin was kicking in.
I'm happy with the results and am starting back with normal food and lifestyle from this week. I thoroughly recommend the Newcastle diet, it worked for me, although some diabetics have asked me how I did it and they baulk at the idea when I tell them. It's up to you to do it.
BTW I have no association with Newcastle Uni whatsoever and I did it by getting their diet sheet and info off their website. You don't have to see the lecture.

Eyesight:
Oh and BTW, due to diabetes, my eyesight was short-sighted before the diet, I lost short and long sight during the diet and had to buy some temporary glassed from Wilkos then at the end of the diet I had an eye test and could read the smallest letters with ease.

Congratulations on what appears to be your reversal, but aren't you a bit concerned about your weight re-gain, and the potential your diabetes will come back as a result, if/when you re-cross your personal threshold?

ph1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ph1 Well I'm glad this worked for you. I'm afraid it didn't work for me yet my HbA1c has never been above 52. I am still diabetic and my current HbA1c is 42. I also only managed to lose about a stone and a half doing this. It doesn't work for everyone.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's good that your Hba1c hasn't been above 52 though. I'm still only on 46 but as you can see from my previous results it's always been up around the hundred mark and my blood glucose has rarely been below 10 in all 14 years of diabetes so you have a head start on me. I think regaining weight and keeping sugar low, plus the eyesight benefits were the best part. As long as your health doesn't suffer I suppose being a bit high isn't terrible. I wish you all the best and hope you find a way to get your diabetes completely controlled. Regards - Paul

ph1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on what appears to be your reversal, but aren't you a bit concerned about your weight re-gain, and the potential your diabetes will come back as a result, if/when you re-cross your personal threshold?
I wouldn't have believed the effect of the diet unless I tested it and my normal weight when fit (33/34" inch waist) is 14st 10lbs. So I haven't got back to my normal weight although I will now be getting back to my normal diet and lifestyle. My waist is still 34" at the moment and I'm 6 feet tall, I was 11st 10lbs at 14 years and I was called skinny. I was also a very fit 14 year old, playing football for my town and winning the only 5 star athletics award in my school at the time.
I'm happy that what I've done for 6 months has thoroughly tested the control and I personally believe that there isn't a weight threshold, my sugar levels are staying stable. I do agree, however, that if I continued I would regain diabetes after a long period - everybody would. That's how I managed to get type 2 initially - over indulgence.
Believe me I've pushed this test as far as possible for my own satisfaction. I've been eating chocolate, cake, biscuits, sweets etc. Everybody reacts differently and I'm now getting back to my normal lifestyle so I'll see what my levels are early next Feb when I have my next test. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for your reply - Paul
P.S. The 14 year old weight thing was to gave an indication of my normal weight and that I was never even plump :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ph1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good result. I'm just giving the Newcastle diet a go now, to see if I can completely reverse it. May not last the full 8 weeks, as I don't have a great amount of weight to lose, it's the hidden fat I'm after though.
Something I forgot to add until you just reminded me, after about week 6 I felt a stiffness and cramping feeling, not painful, in the area where my pancreas is. I know the pancreas is deep inside but that's where the awkwardness felt. I'm not saying that was the pancreas losing the fat and starting to function but thought I'd mention it. It's interesting that if I now eat a couple of bars of chocolate my sugar drops within 30-45 minutes to the low 4s - I've been monitoring it for the full 6 month "re-weighting" period. Good luck with the diet. I felt more exhausted than hungry, that's why I took 8 weeks off. It also meant I had to stick to the diet because I was losing money - I'm an IT consultant. BTW my diet was a large bowl of porridge with water put in the microwave for 3 minutes with 1 bottle Actimel and half a chopped banana in the same bowl every breakfast time. I sometimes had a protein drink for lunch(later on I didn't need them, see how you go) and every evening I had a stew made with non starchy veg. I added lots of pepper and spice and vegetable stock to give it flavour. Also, black tea is only 2 calories so I switched to black tea and drank that whenever I wanted. I had, and still have, about 20 different flavoured teas on hand. Oh, and if I had a craving I either ate some beetroot or thinly sliced cucumber and dipped it in a tiny amount of mint or chilli sauce (and I mean about half a teaspoon max) . There's no point in getting so down that you give up. The chemical changes will also send you on a roller coaster ride of emotions - it's quite incredible and the highs far outweigh the lows. Remember after you hit bottom the only way is up but also when you reach the top the only was is down. Mentally prepare yourself for that - good luck Paul

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't have believed the effect of the diet unless I tested it and my normal weight when fit (33/34" inch waist) is 14st 10lbs. So I haven't got back to my normal weight although I will now be getting back to my normal diet and lifestyle. My waist is still 34" at the moment and I'm 6 feet tall, I was 11st 10lbs at 14 years and I was called skinny. I was also a very fit 14 year old, playing football for my town and winning the only 5 star athletics award in my school at the time.
I'm happy that what I've done for 6 months has thoroughly tested the control and I personally believe that there isn't a weight threshold, my sugar levels are staying stable. I do agree, however, that if I continued I would regain diabetes after a long period - everybody would. That's how I managed to get type 2 initially - over indulgence.
Believe me I've pushed this test as far as possible for my own satisfaction. I've been eating chocolate, cake, biscuits, sweets etc. Everybody reacts differently and I'm now getting back to my normal lifestyle so I'll see what my levels are early next Feb when I have my next test. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for your reply - Paul

Could you describe your "normal lifestyle"?

The personal threshold I refer to is the visceral fat talked about by Professor Taylor in his papers.

ph1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you describe your "normal lifestyle"?

The personal threshold I refer to is the visceral fat talked about by Professor Taylor in his papers.
Apologies, I thought you meant a weight level, which is probably directly proportional to weight levels.

'Normal lifestyle' is living in moderation. Eat healthily but have whatever I want when I want in moderation e.g. a beer on the weekends, a ckae/biscuit jolly whenever I feel like.
I grew up with a sweet tooth and I have no doubt that this contributed to my type 2 over the years.
I also like beer and unfortunatley have a great propensity for consuming large amounts of it. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Referring to the weight issue, when I tell people I'm diabetic they ask how I could be diabetic because I'm not carrying excess weight, this applies even at 15 stone. We all know you don't have to be overweight to be type 2. Also, the fact I get to 15 stone is because I train and use protein shakes and weights, people tend to not believe when I tell them my weight, I've had to prove it many times.

I should have mentiobned the importance of exercise whatever your capabilities (I believe it's all relative for different people).
When I undertook the Newcastle diet, I walked around the local park usually 1-3 miles most days. I felt too exhausted to do any more and I had to be careful with going hypo.

On the subject of hypo, you can have a pseudo hypo just by dropping sugar levels quickly, even if your sugar is high. I had a minor hypo when my blood glucose dropped from 23 to 16 over a few hours. You don't have to have a really low blood glucose level to get a minor attack.
You probably knew this but I've added just in case it helps somebody reading this. When I went on the diet and during my diabetic years I had nobody to relate experiences to. I only joined the group to possibly help somebody with similar experiences as myself, after all most diabetic experieneces will differ.

Cheers - Paul

P.S> Apologies for the protracted messages but I'm trying to get everything in. I'll probably disappear from the group after Ishare my next blood tests in early Feb.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies, I thought you meant a weight level, which is probably directly proportional to weight levels.

'Normal lifestyle' is living in moderation. Eat healthily but have whatever I want when I want in moderation e.g. a beer on the weekends, a ckae/biscuit jolly whenever I feel like.
I grew up with a sweet tooth and I have no doubt that this contributed to my type 2 over the years.
I also like beer and unfortunatley have a great propensity for consuming large amounts of it. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Referring to the weight issue, when I tell people I'm diabetic they ask how I could be diabetic because I'm not carrying excess weight, this applies even at 15 stone. We all know you don't have to be overweight to be type 2. Also, the fact I get to 15 stone is because I train and use protein shakes and weights, people tend to not believe when I tell them my weight, I've had to prove it many times.

I should have mentiobned the importance of exercise whatever your capabilities (I believe it's all relative for different people).
When I undertook the Newcastle diet, I walked around the local park usually 1-3 miles most days. I felt too exhausted to do any more and I had to be careful with going hypo.

On the subject of hypo, you can have a pseudo hypo just by dropping sugar levels quickly, even if your sugar is high. I had a minor hypo when my blood glucose dropped from 23 to 16 over a few hours. You don't have to have a really low blood glucose level to get a minor attack.
You probably knew this but I've added just in case it helps somebody reading this. When I went on the diet and during my diabetic years I had nobody to relate experiences to. I only joined the group to possibly help somebody with similar experiences as myself, after all most diabetic experieneces will differ.

Cheers - Paul

P.S> Apologies for the protracted messages but I'm trying to get everything in. I'll probably disappear from the group after Ishare my next blood tests in early Feb.

Thanks for clarifying.

It would be good if you could stick around. As you will appreciate, lots of people arrive here looking for guidance, and often asking if they're really stuck with Diabetes forever. We have a small number of people who appear to have kicked it into touch, but the more the merrier.

Reactions: 2 people

evobike

Thanks for clarifying.

It would be good if you could stick around. As you will appreciate, lots of people arrive here looking for guidance, and often asking if they're really stuck with Diabetes forever. We have a small number of people who appear to have kicked it into touch, but the more the merrier.

I'm T2 since may 2012. Its an amazing that the stories of hope given by these people. Please stay on the forum and continue to inspire

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Eyesight:

Hi, @ph1
I am quite concerned by your post.
Whilst I congratulate you for the progress you have made, and for having the willpower to complete a period of Newcastle dieting, with a good reduction in blood glucose levels in HbA1c test and a good weight reduction, i cannot advocate the '6 months of massive overindulgence' you have reported.

Not wanting to take anything from your achievements, but I believe this overindulgence is almost an extreme form of 'Russian roulette', and think you are very fortunate not to have, once again, big increases in blood glucose levels and weight gain. Your HbA1c levels still have a way to go before you can be deemed non-diabetic, and it could be possible that your diabetes medication has played a major part in the BG control you have reported.

Sorry if you don't like what I am saying here. I say it out of concern for yourself, and for anyone else reading your post who may be thinking about following your example. Surely having had a modicum of success with Newcastle dieting method, it is very unwise to return to a way of eating and drinking that causes weight gain and risks diabetic blood glucose levels again. Although you have reported HbA1c of 46, this still is high for someone who has/had T2 diabetes, so I urge you to be cautious.

I speak from experience, having had over 3 years of non-diabetic HbA1c results following Newcastle dieting. However, having allowed myself to be encouraged to test limits through consuming high carb foods in massive quantities, I regained 2stones of the 6 I had previously lost. There was a slight rise in HbA1c levels, though still below that considered diabetic, but I found it very difficult to return to low carb, sensible eating once I started experimenting. Please do not ever get complacent about diabetes. It is a sneaky so and so, and we need to remain vigilant, no matter how well we think we are doing.

Please take care of yourself, @ph1, and do not get caught out by thinking you will never see high BG levels again.

Wish you well
Pipp

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good result. I'm just giving the Newcastle diet a go now, to see if I can completely reverse it. May not last the full 8 weeks, as I don't have a great amount of weight to lose, it's the hidden fat I'm after though.
Good for you @douglas99, you have been thinking about it for a while. Good luck.

ajaymse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

yes, Low Carb really works for me too since 7 years. No medication at all.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Please could someone tell me what you are meant to eat for breakfast and dinner on the Newcastle diet? I looked at various shakes but they were all either loaded with carbohydrates or sugar. Does just greatly restricting calorie intake work as well as the suggested shakes?

I'd like to do it but think I would struggle to know what to eat. I am intrigued though. I have lost a fair bit of weight since diagnosis which allowed me to come off all meds including insulin, but I know I still have belly fat to get rid of. Maybe this would be the final push I need as although my levels are now very normal, if I relax my diet, they rise again.

Reactions: 2 people