Scary Hypo, advice really welcomed.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys, I have had a few Hypo's before, I normally can tell when I go as low as 4mmol, I get a rush of warmth and breathless a bit, feels like I am a bit manic and over excited. I have had these when on Gliclazide and Pioglitazone which was stopped due to water retention.

Anyway I still take Glic but only half the dose but now I also take Lantus, 28 units daily. My readings have been between 5-9mmol so no real hypo chance, 7 over night.

I take Lantus at dinner time, and my lowest point is always before lunch.

Tonight I came home from work, took my dinner time tablets and injections, but completely forgot to eat. Got tied up in ironing and other housework and it came on me so fast, I almost didn't recognise what was happening and as soon as I did I had some food. I had a banana to hand, followed by some toast but no effect, had some chocolate and some biscuits but no real affect, I had to eat so much to come out of it, and I have never had this feeling before, it was really scary.

Advice would be great. Are hypo's different when on Insulin?

I can normally fend off a lowering with a satsuma or half banana but this wouldn't shift.

I feel ok now, but I was as low as 3.1 and after tons of food, 4.1

Some advice would be awesome.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With hypo's you have to be aware that really it can take up to 30mins to see non direct glucose to work and be digested. If you are treating a hypo with a pure glucose product you will react more quickly.

With food that you have described you will be hypo longer. If I was down to 3.1 at home I would quite simply have two tespoons of sugar in a coffee or because I love it so much 2 teaspoons in milk... But milk takes the hypo sugar longer time to react...but keeps my levels constant when raised rather than having to eat anything else.

With the foods listed you are more likely to struggle (not necessarily though) with higher levels 2 hours later.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The worrying bit for me is: "...................Got tied up in ironing and other housework....................."

I mean, that's just not right??!!??!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry to make light of the situation, Sally.

Reactions: 4 people

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The worrying bit for me is: "...................Got tied up in ironing and other housework....................."

I mean, that's just not right??!!??!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry to make light of the situation, Sally.
Ha ha funny, my other half is going away tomorrow for a week so I had a lot to get through to help, plus he is ill, as is my daughter at the moment so I was trying to help everyone but myself :):)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Honey works fab! Hugs!

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honey on toast, I shall make sure I have some in. Thanks guys, was a crazy night, spent all night dreaming about eating cream cakes, I hate cream cakes but they taste nice in my sleep. 6.1 this morning.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Honey on toast, I shall make sure I have some in. Thanks guys, was a crazy night, spent all night dreaming about eating cream cakes, I hate cream cakes but they taste nice in my sleep. 6.1 this morning.
Glad you're ok. I'm t2 but was on too much metformin and my doc refused to reduce. I hypod and my hubbie called the Nhs line who sent a paramedic. I was given honey and the effects were really quick but apparently jam works well. Trouble is, as we eat lchf we don't have these things in anymore! :confused:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could buy some single portion jars of preserves? There are always loads around at the festive period, if less so at other times.

When we have breakfast out, my OH now makes a bee-line for the little portion pots and indulges himself. I'd be fine having it in at home, but he sometimes feels awkward about things like that; feeling it's a temptation he doesn't need to put in my way. Silly boy! But,mI do appreciate his consideration.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did some shopping and bought some honey, and some sugar, since becoming diabetic I basically stopped anything sweet, to be honest I don't have a sweet tooth anyway.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just keep a few bottles of cherry coke around the gaff. Two mouthfulls usually does the trick. They recommend lucozade but I hate that carp

alliebee

Think Sally you are probably better to get in a couple of packs of glucose tablets. They work super fast and are so disgusting that you would never be tempted by them being in your car or bag or by your bed

Reactions: 2 people