Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
7.6 here after a wedding breakfast yesterday and a little glass of bubbly. Would have been rude not to...;)

Happy Sunday everyone

Er, isn't it Saturday today? Thanks anyway Diana, must have been a good party ;) and champers is good for us!

5.4 here, still work-stressed but I've been instructed by Mrs Sanguine to take a day off today and do something different - like ironing. Will have to get back to it tomorrow though.

Reactions: 7 people

mkandasa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2, on no medication, I try not to let low numbers freak me out. My liver will help me out if it feels my body is going to low. I usually feel absolutely fine, down to 3.4. Below that I'm usually just incredibly hungry, although the other day I was under 3 and felt fine. To be honest, I'd prefer not to be that low.

I note you're on Metformin. Few people have true hypos on Metformin. I say true hypos, as there is a phenomenon called "false hypo" many people experience, as they bring their bloods into line. Just keep an eye on things, and provided you feel fine, don't worry about any lower numbers. If you feel a bit off, then maybe have a cup of tea, with milk, which will just bring you up a little, without shooting you high. If you shoot up high, it sometimes leads to a bit of a high/low loop which sufferers can find uncomfortable.

Finally, you're quite young. Is your doctor sure you are T2? Have you have T1 tests? When were you diagnosed? What were your numbers running at most recently?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm a data monster. :)

Here's the History:

Diagonised on Feb this year when i felt pain in my feet while walking and especially when on formal shoes. HBA1c reading was 7.9% and FBG was 9.1 and PP was around 15. My Diabetologist asked me to start with metformin 250 x 2 for a day along with pregaba 75 for addressing neuropathy(feet). He asked me to reduce my weight(97 kgs) and make dietary changes(like cutting sweets, fruit juices and food which has high GI) along with aerobics/excercise. After a month with dietary changes alone, the results were exactly same with medication. FBG: 8.5 and PP: 14.

Visited doctor again, This time he increased the dosage from 250 to 500 twice a day. I visited him in a week with my new set of reports. This time my FBG: 6.3 and PP: 8.2. I had improvement in feet pain but it was not very good relief which i expected to be. He advised me to strictly follow the diet along with regular excercise routine(45 minutes of brisk walk). I have added walking to my routine and since then followed regulary. I am weighing now 85 Kgs. During June, My HBA1c was 6.7% and 1st week of october it was at 6%. My FBG till September was around(5.7 - 6.3). I have started taking up Jamun juice(Syzygium cumini) since October first week as its commonly available fruit in India. I got go ahead from my doctor to add it to my diet. From that time onwards, my FBG readings are between 4.6 - 5.2. Today it was 4.3, which happens to be my lowest fasting reading ever. Today morning my PP (after two hours of meals) reading was 4.4. I am bit scared as my friends told me that hypos are dangerous.

Note: Still my feet are not feeling alright. I got biothesimetry tests done two weeks back and reading were normal. Podiotrist suggested to have GLA for 10 days. Its better now but still i am not feeling 100% good about my feet.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the History:

Diagonised on Feb this year when i felt pain in my feet while walking and especially when on formal shoes. HBA1c reading was 7.9% and FBG was 9.1 and PP was around 15. My Diabetologist asked me to start with metformin 250 x 2 for a day along with pregaba 75 for addressing neuropathy(feet). He asked me to reduce my weight(97 kgs) and make dietary changes(like cutting sweets, fruit juices and food which has high GI) along with aerobics/excercise. After a month with dietary changes alone, the results were exactly same with medication. FBG: 8.5 and PP: 14.

Visited doctor again, This time he increased the dosage from 250 to 500 twice a day. I visited him in a week with my new set of reports. This time my FBG: 6.3 and PP: 8.2. I had improvement in feet pain but it was not very good relief which i expected to be. He advised me to strictly follow the diet along with regular excercise routine(45 minutes of brisk walk). I have added walking to my routine and since then followed regulary. I am weighing now 85 Kgs. During June, My HBA1c was 6.7% and 1st week of october it was at 6%. My FBG till September was around(5.7 - 6.3). I have started taking up Jamun juice(Syzygium cumini) since October first week as its commonly available fruit in India. I got go ahead from my doctor to add it to my diet. From that time onwards, my FBG readings are between 4.6 - 5.2. Today it was 4.3, which happens to be my lowest fasting reading ever. Today morning my PP (after two hours of meals) reading was 4.4. I am bit scared as my friends told me that hypos are dangerous.

Note: Still my feet are not feeling alright. I got biothesimetry tests done two weeks back and reading were normal. Podiotrist suggested to have GLA for 10 days. Its better now but still i am not feeling 100% good about my feet.

I'm sure other people will also respond, but unless you are feeling really rough, or going under 3.5, I would urge you really to relax about the lower numbers. Non-diabetics are in these low numbers very regularly. That's one of the factors that keeps their HbA1cs down, even when they eat foods that would be very difficult for us to contend with.

Sure. If you feel bad, or are routinely almost 3, or lower, then you should consult with your doctor to address this. If you do feel bad, as I said before, have something simple like a cup of tea, with milk, just to give you a bit of a boost, then carry on as normal. It takes a while for your body to adjust.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bearing in mind you had a 24 yesterday, I'd say your 11.4 is very good.

Back in the saddle now Ally. You know it makes sense. :)

As a matter of interest; did you enjoy the pizza and cake? I haven't had any cake in over a year now, and can't say I miss it, but when I've had the odd piece of pizza, I've been quite unmoved by it. By comparison to my now diet, it seemed a bit "so what's all the fuss about?".

Reactions: 4 people

EwokBishop

Dreading doing mine this morning, had some drinkw last night and to add to that I forgot to take my Lantus at night!
12.4 so not good but could have been so much worse!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
andbreathe, the first bite of the pizza and cake were yummy, but overall i didn,t enjoy them

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning. Went to bed on 5.2. I think I'm going to have to get up earlier as I wake round 7 then dose till 9 when I test by which time I can feel my liver screaming at me to eat.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
they was walnuts and am giving them a miss tonight lol

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you over your ironing induced hypo of yesterday?

(I'm still smiling at your completely alien comment. :))

Reading back it must have been the hypo honestly, I hate housework!! To be honest I have been running low all day, thinking of stopping the gliclazide, I recon a week of insulin has given my pancreas enough of a rest and now it's working better, I am going to reduce the glic, keep the lantus and see if ti improves. I am dieting also which a hypo doesn't help with, I have lost loads of weight but it's been very hard but rewarding work, and I hate to think I am jepordising that by eating **** becuase my sugars are low.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading back it must have been the hypo honestly, I hate housework!! To be honest I have been running low all day, thinking of stopping the gliclazide, I recon a week of insulin has given my pancreas enough of a rest and now it's working better, I am going to reduce the glic, keep the lantus and see if ti improves. I am dieting also which a hypo doesn't help with, I have lost loads of weight but it's been very hard but rewarding work, and I hate to think I am jepordising that by eating **** becuase my sugars are low.

I couldn't advise you what to do, for sure. I've never taken diabetes medication, never mind insulin.

However, logic suggests to me that the way to go would be to medicate to help the body, not eat to match the medication. How you achieve that is the $64k question.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Er, isn't it Saturday today? Thanks anyway Diana, must have been a good party ;) and champers is good for us!

5.4 here, still work-stressed but I've been instructed by Mrs Sanguine to take a day off today and do something different - like ironing. Will have to get back to it tomorrow though.

Ooops! BS running a bit high at present :) Thanks for the correction, Rod. It still feels like a Sunday even though its been a long work day. Good job I remembered to turn up!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5,7 this morning for me, which is good after going to a wedding reception/dinner last night and probably overindulging on some of the delicious food available ( though I did manage to stay away from anything obviously high in carbs).

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414301339.833109.jpg

Have a great Sunday everyone

Pavlos

Reactions: 8 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 and no confusion as to what day of the week it is or what hour it is ;) Happy Sunday everyone!

Reactions: 8 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.1 for me - of course that's an hour later than usual due to us putting our clocks back.....hope you all remembered?? My last day at work today then my much needed little break! :)

Reactions: 10 people

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.8 On waking. Google informed me late last night. Needed the extra hour though.

Reactions: 6 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
7.3. today clocks went back wonder if had anything to do with it hehe

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.