FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just dread you all as I found out with my consultant...that consultants believe the lower levels and will tell you that you are not recognising hypo's....
I had such battles with consultants as they preferred to go by the data of low readings rather than me saying that they were inaccurate compared to the blood readings.

The additional recall of the Abbotts bloodstrips helped eventually but at the time of cgm wearing and low levels that didn't tie in with the bloods and my consultants giving me hassle then it really wasn't worth the aggravation of them threatening my driving license constantly.
Am in total agreement with you Donnellysdogs, I'm reaching the stage of running two meters, one to give the consultant which rather defeats the object of asking for help when needed! Like you I ran into problems with the Abbott strips and they always run low used with my Omnipod pump so I adjust accordingly and have a good HBa1 c but received total 'telling off' with DVLA threats at last appointment when so many numbers in 2's and 3's showed up. Have started using the Libre this morning which is showing LOWs when BS is 6.5 on the pump. Early days though but am watching!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Emmotha

Arm is still the same.. No better or worse. The pins and needles and numbness is slightly worrying. But I haven't got any serious symptoms that Abbott mentioned. Like difficulty breathing or swelling of arm etc. so just gonna live with it.

P.S. Guys, on Facebook there's a page with lots of people on. 'Freestyle Libre Users'. I'm on there and getting some good info from everyone
Just had a look but can't find it, any more info?

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just had a look but can't find it, any more info?
Just search for freestyle libre users and 2 similar groups come up
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414331915.431058.jpg

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you go on Facebook will everyone see you on it? I haven't told many ppl I'm diabetic yet
who uses their real name and photo on all their FB accounts, I keep the real one for family and friends

redrevis

I would think most people just have one account. It's against FB's T&Cs to have more than one account. Whether FB will remove extra accounts if they realise, who knows.

Emmotha: I never really 'announced' when I was diagnosed. People found out as as time went on. Some people I told face to face, others found out through FB by seeing what I posted etc. If you don't want people to know, then FB probably isn't the best place to use for Diabetes related things as their privacy policies change all the time, you never really know what friends on there can and can't see.
But like dani says, if you're nervous, or apprehensive about telling people directly, going groups and generally doing diabetes related things on FB could be an easy way for you to let people know, without actually having to say it.

Reactions: 4 people

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Just fitted my second sensor and first scan was 13.7 with a blood test of 12.8 which is in my opinion quite acceptable so for now I'm happy

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Any posts you make in a closed FB group stay within that group, they don't share on your wall. So unless people are members of the same group, they won't see what you post.

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
The Good:
Went to the pub last night at about 21.30 and took the Libre with me. I normally have 3 pints then inject - another 3 pints and inject again and so on.
Well last night at 22.25 a scan showed fast rising sugars (this was after 1 1/2 pints) so I decided (based on the scan) to change my routine and inject early. I had another couple of pints then went home.

Note scans are on average 2 mmol/L lower than fingerprick readings (except a couple taken around midnight of 25th which were surprisingly accurate (!?)

FLmvcU7.png

The glucose curve above shows I peaked at 23:03 @ 9.2 mmol/L - I'm still drinking at this point. Next visit to the pub I'll inject after 1 pint and see if I can flatten the peak a little more. I'd never have got such useful data from fingerpricks alone.

Below is the full data which I exported into Excel - the 2nd column is data the sensor recorded, the 3rd column is manual scan readings.

69Dfcg0.png

The Bad:
Once my blood glucose had returned to normal, manual scans would only display 'LO', recorded data from the sensor flat lined at 2.2 mmol/L.

e2g3Rjy.png

Notice the gaps in the recorded data above - this is odd as the data exported into Excel (below) shows readings were recorded during these gaps.
The 4th column below is blood glucose readings. Unfortunately as things stand I can't use the Libre for seeing what my glucose levels are doing throughout the night.

u4SaV7U.png

The Ugly:
I think my third sensor is dead - all I am getting now is:

843mYOp.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@logindetails - Are you mega-muscle-bound or something? The only other, you-specific" factor I might wonder would be if the beer made you a bit de-hydrated and just pushed you over the sensor's working threshold.

I must admit, the revelation you had is the sort of data I would love. I'm a non-medicated T2, running very low numbers, and an HBa1c of 32. I rarely see numbers higher than the odd 5.2, but to achieve an HbA1c of 32 (5.1%), I clearly must be running higher sometimes. Obviously, I would have limited options to manage those peaks, even if I wanted to (or if they were few, but horrendous), but it would be good to know.

Once things settle with the product, I'm likely to have a starter pack, then a periodic sensory; probably just before I have bloods done.

It's an exciting development, for sure.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@logindetails - Are you mega-muscle-bound or something? The only other, you-specific" factor I might wonder would be if the beer made you a bit de-hydrated and just pushed you over the sensor's working threshold.

I must admit, the revelation you had is the sort of data I would love. I'm a non-medicated T2, running very low numbers, and an HBa1c of 32. I rarely see numbers higher than the odd 5.2, but to achieve an HbA1c of 32 (5.1%), I clearly must be running higher sometimes. Obviously, I would have limited options to manage those peaks, even if I wanted to (or if they were few, but horrendous), but it would be good to know.

Once things settle with the product, I'm likely to have a starter pack, then a periodic sensory; probably just before I have bloods done.

It's an exciting development, for sure.
Mega-muscle-bound - ha! - no - but I'm not weedy either. I always drink a pint of water before going to bed if I've been drinking to fend off hangovers so I doubt dehydration is the cause. I'm beginning to think that there's something about my blood that kills sensors though :dead:

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the graphs I've seen so far are very impressive. My time in target is only 15% :shy:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I thought I was well controlled on injections with a hba1c of 7.1! My consultant is always very pleased. But seeing my post meal spikes and overnight hypos that I didn't know about previously is an eye opener!!! Also seeing people's flat always in target graphs on here.... Back to the drawing board I feel! Eagerly anticipating my pump start!

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I thought I was well controlled on injections with a hba1c of 7.1! My consultant is always very pleased. But seeing my post meal spikes and overnight hypos that I didn't know about previously is an eye opener!!! Also seeing people's flat always in target graphs on here.... Back to the drawing board I feel! Eagerly anticipating my pump start!
Glad to hear your getting some good data to act upon from the Libre.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I don't ever remember having a day this smooth. Maybe because I'm testing a lot and not over reacting.
Really enjoying the Libre :)

today.png

Reactions: 10 people