Replacement for rice in curries

kingshussar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Despise reality TV, cheap rubbish, X factor= pins in eyes!! Grey skies-cold-rain.
Victor is alive and well inside my head.
Hi,
All my family enjoy a curry (Like most others I presume?) my problem is replacing rice.

My thinking is maybe pearl barley or lentils, has anyone tried these as a replacement, if not what could I try?

thank you for your patience with us newly diagnosed:)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Cauliflower rice. Blitz a cauliflower in a food processor until,it looks like rice. Or grate it if you don't have a food processor. I like to fry it lightly in coconut oil.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm not bad with Basmati rice, bulgur wheat, and quinoa, although cauliflower is popular.

kingshussar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Despise reality TV, cheap rubbish, X factor= pins in eyes!! Grey skies-cold-rain.
Thanks for the reply's people' unfortunately I am not that enamored with cauliflower, what do you think of other alternatives as above?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The amazing thing about cauliflower rice is that it doesn't actually taste of cauliflowers :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last time I had a curry I skipped the rice altogether and had two or three papadums instead. My bloods behaved afterwards.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The amazing thing about cauliflower rice is that it doesn't actually taste of cauliflowers :)

I completely agree. Once pulsed, or grated, it merely becomes a carrier for whatever you're having it with; adding the bulk and texture to a curry, or chilli con carne without the carbs.

I've also done Kedgeree using cauli, and it was delicious, and extremely low carb when you consider the ingredients.

Give it a try @kingshussar . You may just be astonished.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the reply's people' unfortunately I am not that enamored with cauliflower, what do you think of other alternatives as above?

We can't tell you, you need a BG meter, and need to test yourself after a small portion.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a treat you could try the "Slim Water" Rice it's made from Konjac (sic) Flour and 100g is about 1g carb, Expensive at about £2.50 a packet from Holland and Barrett, but I tend to stock up when the penny sale is on. There are also various pasta/noodle replacement made from the same flour

kingshussar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We can't tell you, you need a BG meter, and need to test yourself after a small portion.
Hi Douglas, got the meter, was just hoping someone had tried any other option, that's all.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Douglas, got the meter, was just hoping someone had tried any other option, that's all.

Most of us react differently, and the degrees of difference vary as well.
For example, I'm better with, and I can't remember, green or yellow lentils, one more than the other. One tends to spike me more, so it's easier for me if I avoid both to be honest.

kingshussar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For a treat you could try the "Slim Water" Rice it's made from Konjac (sic) Flour and 100g is about 1g carb, Expensive at about £2.50 a packet from Holland and Barrett, but I tend to stock up when the penny sale is on. There are also various pasta/noodle replacement made from the same flour
Hi Lesley, I will check that out;)

kingshussar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just done the research, God this is painful..............

I will have to go with the cauli rice thingy for now:arghh: way to many carbs in both lentils and barley.

alliebee

I put tumeric powder in with my cauli rice when I fry it and a few cumin seeds. It goes a lovely yellow pilau rice colour and you can't taste the cauli taste. It tastes very nearly like fried rice

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Just done the research, God this is painful..............

I will have to go with the cauli rice thingy for now:arghh: way to many carbs in both lentils and barley.
Cauliflower rice is surprisingly nice! I've always hated cauli and refused to eat it, but when I decided to cut carbs out of my diet I thought I'd bite the bullet and at least try it. Turns out it's a decent enough substitute - not a huge fan of the texture but I can live with that. If you grate it up and fry it then you barely even notice what it is.

SandieB

Quinoa works for me....I find it doesn't raise my BS at all. I add a little veg stock powder to the water when I cook it to give it a flavour of it's own, but it's fine as it is if you are using it to replace plain rice.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
I've just discovered that barenaked rice is now available! Barenaked noodles are a lot better than EatWater Slim Noodles (not as wet and slithery; much more like normal noodles; and only 0.1 g carb per 100g), so I'm hopeful that their rice will be better than EatWater Slim Rice, which is slippery and tends to stay wet. I've ordered a box and I'll post a report when I've tried them.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I am as well a big fan of eating rice twice daily. But, had to limit the intake of rice to only 3-4 times per week. What I do , take different alternatives to rice while taking fish or chicken curries such as : Chapaties made of flower (brown is better than white) , mixed dry vegetable that contains cauliflower too , boiled beans, green peas ,cabbage boiled and fried a little, spinach boiled and fried a little . IF I take rice I try to avoid Basmati rice instead take per boiled type that contains probably less starch . Would like to know if anyone tried such alternatives with curry or not.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

When I had curry last weekend (mixed veg and paneer korma) I had it with finely shredded little gem lettuce instead of rice.