Sugar Free AND Aspartame Free ?!

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hello all :)

Be interesting to see how many food and drink items we can currently find/buy which are both Sugar Free AND Aspartame free, and to create a list here so we can all add to it, and refer to it.

The reason is, I often find a sugar free product, then when I check the ingredients, see it contains the nasty chemical Aspartame, which I will not put in my body :yuck: so I put it back.

Ok, perhaps no sweetener is 100% perfect (although I reckon - just from personal experience- Xylitol might come close), but I just refuse to eat/drink anything containing Aspartame. I'm sure there must be many others on these forums who feel the same.

Also, I just wanted to quickly highlight (as many people I chat to in the 'real world' are still blissfully unaware) that Aspartame goes/has gone under several different names (disguises) around the world, including:

Aspartamine, Acesulfame-k, Alitame, Acesulfame potassium, Ace-K, Neotame, Canderel, Equal, E951, Tropicana Slim, NutraSweet, Sanecta, Sunett, Sweet one, Twin Sweet... and more!

There's loads of info out there about it, here's just two for start .... http://jaydax.co.uk/imho/aspartame.htm and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neotame.

Anyway, I was very happy to see Sainsbury's stopped using Aspartame in many of its products a while back, including their 'Diet' drinks (for those who like fizzy stuff), but I was also happy today to discover that they now stock Robinson's sugar free Jellies (packet mixes and Ready to Eat) , which are 100% Aspartame free (unlike Harltey's brand, which was the only one available in most supermarkets in recent years).

So, I will start the list off below ... please add any sugar free products you find, food or drink, as long as they contain NO Aspartame (or any of its other names). Would be helpful too if you could add which shops stock the item, and country (as Forum is global) .

Many thanks :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The following are all available at Sainsbury's (UK). Some are possibly in other UK supermarkets too (Sainsbury's is just my nearest big supermarket). I don't eat (or drink) all items... just think it's helpful to include ALL products which are sugar free (or near as **** it!) AND 100% free from Aspartame.

SAINSBURY'S (UK)

FOODS:

Robinsons Jelly Sachet (Summer Fruits, Lemon, Orange & Pineapple, Orange).
Robinsons Jelly (125g pot) (Apple & Blackcurrant, Orange, Summer Fruits).

Sugar Free Polo mints.

Sainsbury's No Added Sugar Dark Chocolate (100g).

Sainsbury's Instant Custard Power No Added Sugar (72g).

Sainsbury's No Added Sugar Strawberry Dessert Mix, Basics (38g) (under 4% Sugar)
Sainsbury's No Added Sugar Chocolate Dessert Mix, Basics (38g) (under 4% Sugar)

DRINKS:

Squash:
Sainsbury's Double Strength Apple & Strawberry Squash, No Added Sugar.
Sainsbury's Double Strength Lime Squash, No Added Sugar.
Sainsbury's Double Strength Blackcurrant Squash, No Added Sugar.
Sainsbury's Double Strength Summerfruits Squash, No Added Sugar.
Sainsbury's Double Strength Orange Squash, No Added Sugar.

Fizzy drinks (for those who like them):
Sainsbury's Brand:
Diet Lemonade
Diet Cloudy Lemonade
Diet Pink Lemonade
Diet Ginger Beer
Diet Cream Soda
Diet Dandelion & Burdock
Cola Zero
Tropical Crush.

Drink 'mixers':
Diet Tonic Water, Diet Bitter Lemon, Diet Ginger Ale etc.

M&S (UK)

Several types of aspartame-free sweets such as Sugar Free Butterscotch, Mints, etc. (someone else may have a bigger list - M&S is not my usual shop!).

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good post. I researched and read many publications of how damaging that stuff is to the body especially on a cellular level. I was heavily addicted to it for many years and to be honest I'm sure its why I got diabetes in the first place. Check these bad boys out: Yum yum :D I bought a pack today and another three different packs of sugar free bikkies :p

Choc%20chip%20SUGAR%20FREE.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Good post. I researched and read many publications of how damaging that stuff is to the body especially on a cellular level. I was heavily addicted to it for many years and to be honest I'm sure its why I got diabetes in the first place. Check these bad boys out: Yum yum :D I bought a pack today and another three different packs of sugar free bikkies :p

Choc%20chip%20SUGAR%20FREE.jpg
Hi Brazza where do you get these biscuits please ......thanks for sharing .kat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We need a sugar free supermarket , well I would ....

Trouble is Kat, Boots use to sell sugar-free products such as jam, biscuits & chocolate and there wasn't that much difference (carb wise) from eating other such products, plus the sweeteners tended to have a laxative effect, I'm sure the biscuits that Bazza has shown contain around 6-7g of carbs per biscuit.

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like they are about 4.5 carbs per biscuit. Tesco value digestives are about 10 each. So possibly if you want a biscuit, they may be a better option, but bear in mind cost, & can you stop at 1 lol?

Smartie xx

K

Kat100

Trouble is Kat, Boots use to sell sugar-free products such as jam, biscuits & chocolate and there wasn't that much difference (carb wise) from eating other such products, plus the sweeteners tended to have a laxative effect, I'm sure the biscuits that Bazza has shown contain around 6-7g of carbs per biscuit.
Thank you @noblehead. :) I am always looking for something new ...I never used to eat biscuits ...so now I am so much more aware when shopping ...I am aware that there is not much to buy ...well I do now have the odd digestive ...when required ....seems to help me , I often look for anything new that is sugar free....I have used the net once last Christmas ...(that's what I had in mind) a few treats ...but they were very expensive for very little product ....if you know of another biscuit like the digestive ...that would be great ...I have looked at the weightwatchers ones but they seem high in sugar ....:wideyed:
Thank you ..I did not know about the jam at boots etc .....

K

Kat100

Looks like they are about 4.5 carbs per biscuit. Tesco value digestives are about 10 each. So possibly if you want a biscuit, they may be a better option, but bear in mind cost, & can you stop at 1 lol?

Smartie xx
Yes one a week for me ...nice to catch up with you @smartlady :cat:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello all :)

Be interesting to see how many food and drink items we can currently find/buy which are both Sugar Free AND Aspartame free, and to create a list here so we can all add to it, and refer to it.

The reason is, I often find a sugar free product, then when I check the ingredients, see it contains the nasty chemical Aspartame, which I will not put in my body :yuck: so I put it back.

Ok, perhaps no sweetener is 100% perfect (although I reckon - just from personal experience- Xylitol might come close), but I just refuse to eat/drink anything containing Aspartame. I'm sure there must be many others on these forums who feel the same.

Also, I just wanted to quickly highlight (as many people I chat to in the 'real world' are still blissfully unaware) that Aspartame goes/has gone under several different names (disguises) around the world, including:

Aspartamine, Acesulfame-k, Alitame, Acesulfame potassium, Ace-K, Neotame, Canderel, Equal, E951, Tropicana Slim, NutraSweet, Sanecta, Sunett, Sweet one, Twin Sweet... and more!

There's loads of info out there about it, here's just two for start .... http://jaydax.co.uk/imho/aspartame.htm and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neotame.

Anyway, I was very happy to see Sainsbury's stopped using Aspartame in many of its products a while back, including their 'Diet' drinks (for those who like fizzy stuff), but I was also happy today to discover that they now stock Robinson's sugar free Jellies (packet mixes and Ready to Eat) , which are 100% Aspartame free (unlike Harltey's brand, which was the only one available in most supermarkets in recent years).

So, I will start the list off below ... please add any sugar free products you find, food or drink, as long as they contain NO Aspartame (or any of its other names). Would be helpful too if you could add which shops stock the item, and country (as Forum is global) .

Many thanks :happy:
I find dry wines are usually fine with less than 4 grams of sugar per L and no sweeteners added.

Water is no sugar at all.

Then there is tea and coffee.

And mineral water.

I find milk is too high in sugar.

Reactions: 4 people

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks for comments so far.. but may I request we try to keep this thread as a list of Sugar Free AND Aspartame free products only.

I think most of us are sensible enough to realise that water is sugar and aspartame free!!

Also, there's quite a range of sugar free products about, but most do contain Aspartame.

Some products might have a tiny amount of carbs/sugars (as long as <4%, I'm not too bothered personally).

The thread wasn't to question or judge what anyone chooses to eat, either daily or as an occasional treat... it's simply to provide an inventory or "shopping list" of all the Sugar & Aspartame free foods currently available, ,and where to find them (as there's not many sugar AND aspartame free 'treats' about!).

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bazzza,

many thanks for website info, some of their cakes and goodies are actually filled with sugars though.... as always, best to read the label, as even the words "NO added Sugar" actually means nothing like 'sugar free'!

But some of those Gullón products fit the Sugar AND Aspartame bill, and even though not low carb, some are going on my 'Christmas Treats' list!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you @noblehead. :) I am always looking for something new ...I never used to eat biscuits ...so now I am so much more aware when shopping ...I am aware that there is not much to buy ...well I do now have the odd digestive ...when required ....seems to help me , I often look for anything new that is sugar free....I have used the net once last Christmas ...(that's what I had in mind) a few treats ...but they were very expensive for very little product ....if you know of another biscuit like the digestive ...that would be great ...I have looked at the weightwatchers ones but they seem high in sugar ....:wideyed:
Thank you ..I did not know about the jam at boots etc .....

No problem Kat:)

I'm not a big biscuit lover but will eat them when my bg is dropping low (not hypo).

I'm a big fan of oats for the health benefits so tend to eat things like Oatcakes, Nairn's Cheese Oatcakes are delicious and only have 3.7g of carbs each. Last week when my wife was out shopping she bought some oat biscuits, again they were made by Nairn's and have 40% less sugar, they are a Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuit and each one has 6.4g of carbs, depending on your daily carb allowance it might be a nice change for you than the odd digestive biscuit.

As yet I've not had one, when I do I'll report back..............

K

Kat100

No problem Kat:)

I'm not a big biscuit lover but will eat them when my bg is dropping low (not hypo).

I'm a big fan of oats for the health benefits so tend to eat things like Oatcakes, Nairn's Cheese Oatcakes are delicious and only have 3.7g of carbs each. Last week when my wife was out shopping she bought some oat biscuits, again they were made by Nairn's and have 40% less sugar, they are a Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuit and each one has 6.4g of carbs, depending on your daily carb allowance it might be a nice change for you than the odd digestive biscuit.

As yet I've not had one, when I do I'll report back..............
Hi @noblehead ..I have looked at those oat Nairn biscuits ....I will get some ....I to love oats and have made flap jacks ...no real sugar used ..
Thank you for the great idea ...I will also get the cheese ones ... Can't wait now ..Thank you again ...Kat

K

Kat100

Smartie xx
Hi smartie ..Thank you , but I can't find it ..can you press send again when you have a moment ...Thank you ...Kat x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @noblehead ..I have looked at those oat Nairn biscuits ....I will get some ....I to love oats and have made flap jacks ...no real sugar used ..
Thank you for the great idea ...I will also get the cheese ones ... Can't wait now ..Thank you again ...Kat

Well tonight I had one of the Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuits and have to say they are very nice, they are not too sweet but still full of flavour, definitely worth purchasing Kat if you fancy a change from your digestive biscuit.

Reactions: 3 people