Diabetes long term

Mac2002

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been T2 diabetic for 20 years and on insulin for 10 . My nurse says I probably am not producing any insulin myself . If this is so what is my future? I am now on dapagliflozin as well as insulin and metformin. I have increased my insulin and in doing so my weight increased and the vicious circle begins increase etc. My hba1c has never been below 8 ever even when I lost 3 stone and was really trying to eat correctly and exercise daily. Any ideas please?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

What insulin are you using..........?

Its perfectly possible you are now not producing any of your own insulin and so your future will be taking insulin just as a type 1 would...

as your may not have any insulin production you have more options with regards the insulin regime you can use...........

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Mac2002
You seem to be getting the insulin to act on the carbs ,so perhaps another angle of attack would be totry to trim the carbs taken on and also to try to work on your insulin resistance.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

Mac2002

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What insulin are you using..........?

Its perfectly possible you are now not producing any of your own insulin and so your future will be taking insulin just as a type 1 would...

as your may not have any insulin production you have more options with regards the insulin regime you can use...........

Mac2002

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I am using Levemir 80 units split morning and night and Novarapid between 60 and 70 units a day. I have always been told to include carbs with every meal and I do have to say my diet does consist of mainly carbs which I now know is wrong and that I need to reduce this. I think this is easier said than done but I am going to try.

Reactions: 5 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Mac2002,
There are plenty of recipes on here and I am sure that we will ante up suggestions if you are stuck on ideas!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To prevent the weight gain you need to reduce both carbs and insulin. Plenty of advice and support on here for doing that. Exercise will also be helpful.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have been T2 diabetic for 20 years and on insulin for 10 . My nurse says I probably am not producing any insulin myself . If this is so what is my future? I am now on dapagliflozin as well as insulin and metformin. I have increased my insulin and in doing so my weight increased and the vicious circle begins increase etc. My hba1c has never been below 8 ever even when I lost 3 stone and was really trying to eat correctly and exercise daily. Any ideas please?

"trying to eat correctly" is the problem. You are unlikely to achieve satisfactory control on the DUK/NHS diet that advises plenty of starchy carbs with every meal. Many on the forum have achieved good control by reducing carbs & (horror of horrors) increasing fats intelligently.

That means reducing all the obvious carbs, & adding natural fatty foods like cheese & nuts. There is plenty more advice around for the benefits of carb reduction.

Reactions: 2 people