Replacement for rice in curries

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
It's perfect with potato and quinoa. I used to make curry at least once a week using my Redmond multicooker. It takes about one hour to make a meat one, and less than 40 minutes for vegetarian. Multicooker is a big brother of slow cooker, as long as it can steam, bake, fry, etc.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
What type of food is Quinoa ? How to prepare it. I am asking because my doctor also mentioned about this in one of my visits. I have no idea about this type of supplement of rice. Can anybody put some light on this.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Quinoa is a grain, but a slightly unusual one in that it has a high protein content. It contains 64g or complex carbs per 100g uncooked, and I've found it to be very slow release.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have always eaten basmati rice, just a much smaller portion of a couple of desert spoonfuls instead of a plateful since diagnosed with T2.

Just use test strips to determine the amount of rice you can eat, that way you dont need to find anything to replace it with. Cauliflower rice may be nice, I wouldnt know, but its cauliflower not rice.

Test, test & test some more and eat to your meter.

Reactions: 4 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Thanks Sid ! you have told exactly what I think.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat Brown basmati rice and you only need a small amount because it is very filling
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

It is a very small amount of rice for me ...more curry than rice ..good basmati rice is what I use...
I have of course tried cauliflower rice, for me it is ok ...I like it with spices best ..
All down to personal choice ...enjoy your curry though ...

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use brown rice. As the husk is more complex. Also I believe there is a red rice you can get. There was a story in the paper a few weeks ago saying carbs are better when you heat. Let go cold and heat again. If you do this make sure the rice is cooled down quick And piping hot when re-heated.

natalina

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
It's perfect with potato and quinoa. I used to make curry at least once a week using my Redmond multicooker. It takes about one hour to make a meat one, and less than 40 minutes for vegetarian. Multicooker is a big brother of slow cooker, as long as it can steam, bake, fry, etc.
I also recently purchased a new Redmond 4502 - it has more than 30 programs , you can make your own recipes, more convenient to change the temperature in the cooking process - first fry the meat, then simmer them with rice or vegetables baked at a low temperature. In the in multicooker I cook almost everything - yogurt - babe very _ loves it, bread, fries, rice, soups (all scored and ready), obtained excellent fried chicken in it for more than 30 programs and more, you can make your own recipes, more convenient to change the temperature in the cooking process - first fry meat stew with it then rice or vegetables are baked at a low temperature, and does not stick to the popcorn. True design I do not like.

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
All my family enjoy a curry (Like most others I presume?) my problem is replacing rice.

My thinking is maybe pearl barley or lentils, has anyone tried these as a replacement, if not what could I try?

thank you for your patience with us newly diagnosed:)
Try Miracle noodles (google) they do a rice packet - no carbs, a bit slithery but acceptable.