Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
SNIP, but I am probably in the minority because I feel the NHS has more important things to spend money on. SNIP.

Oh, aye. None of us are likely to go blind or lose fingers/toes etc., after all...

Frankly, if there is any truth in the statement that diabetes is "swamping" the NHS then self-testing would be a key method of ensuring effective use of whatever monies the political classes feel can be spared. Owt else is simply throwing away money in the name of "saving" it.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, aye. None of us are likely to go blind or lose fingers/toes etc., after all...

Frankly, if there is any truth in the statement that diabetes is "swamping" the NHS then self-testing would be a key method of ensuring effective use of whatever monies the political classes feel can be spared. Owt else is simply throwing away money in the name of "saving" it.

Very convenient editing of my post!

I didn't say people shouldn't test! Diabetics already get free prescriptions if they take medication for diabetes. Asthmatics don't. The money isn't limitless. I would prefer good dietary advice to be given by the NHS - that would save sight, fingers toes etc! The mere act of testing won't do anything unless people know that the current NHS guidelines aren't good enough. As I said in my 2nd post, if I had been given the dietary advice I needed I may not have put on the visceral fat which led to diabetes. You and I are singing from the same hymn sheet - I'm just singing from an earlier page!

Reactions: 2 people

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Test strips need to come down in price, the NHS is being screwed by the meter companies. In my area it's a 'tiered' system, T1s - unlimited according to individual needs and any meter the person prefers, T2s on insulin - standard choice of meter provided by GP, restricted strips but stilll provided, T2s not on insulin - no testing. OK I get the fact that testing can be a bit OCD, but most of us are trying to do the best we can to get/keep our diabetes in good control by medication but equally importantly diet and exercise and testing is an important tool.

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

Test strips for all smidge ...
Within a no more excuses/variants of advice from the HCP's .
Hence the one rule for all diabetics.
All being encouraged to test regardless of what meds/insulin they use .

Insulin dependent diabetics should be allowed amount of
test strips they need .
Same with noninsulin using diabetics too .

No need to pick holes this way .
The supply of test strips for all is key here .
Plus all to be encouraged to test regardless .
Equality and the best care for all .... :) that would be so good ...our health is previous ...good practice is what you are highlighting @anna29 so right

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Test strips need to come down in price, the NHS is being screwed by the meter companies. In my area it's a 'tiered' system, T1s - unlimited according to individual needs and any meter the person prefers, T2s on insulin - standard choice of meter provided by GP, restricted strips but stilll provided, T2s not on insulin - no testing. OK I get the fact that testing can be a bit OCD, but most of us are trying to do the best we can to get/keep our diabetes in good control by medication but equally importantly diet and exercise and testing is an important tool.

Agreed on the price Minnie, if the SD Codefree can sell them so cheaply then why can't the likes of Roche et al.

The pricing of test strips has to be one of the biggest rip-off's in recent times, just a shame that there's no pressure on these companies to reduce their prices.

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yep. Told type 2 don't need to and I asked for more as had run out so havnt bn testing for a month so no idea what they are!!
I would strongly advise that you get a meter and test before eating then an hour after and an hour after that. I would also do this for 1-2 months. You will then have an idea what you can and can't eat. Many of us struggle with bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Some can manage certain types of bread or porridge. I can't. I only know this from testing. Ironically potatoes atent too bad but I don't really like them. Lol!

Reactions: 6 people

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of my blood sugar readings are affected by my physical health as well and am on a load of other tsblets

Reactions: 3 people

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For several years after I was diagnosed with T2, I was prescribed strips and lancets and all went well in using them. Then suddenly i was told by my GP that it wasn't really necessary to test T2 diabetes and strips and lancets were no longer offered on prescription. However, I had a major shock a few months ago when I started feeling really unwell, having flu-like symptoms. My GP said that there was nothing organically wrong and just take paracetamol. I knew how I felt and went to a local branch of Lloyds' pharmacy where I knew they would check my BG level. It was 25+ and I was horrified. I went straight back to my GP and was immediately taken to hospital to be put on insulin. I'm now an insulin-dependent patient. So, do not listen to those who say you don't need to test for T2 - keep doing it (at your own expense) and you might avoid the situation I ended up in.

Reactions: 9 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prescribing test strips to all diabetics would be a complete waste of money. 99% of diabetics don't join forums and the vast majority are not interested in adjusting their diet or lifestyle. How many people still smoke knowing the harm it causes ? Also, testing for the sake of if is pointless. How many people test their levels and don't track them or use the data to adjust food ? A blanket rule is pointless. I think ir should be done on a case by case basis. Convine your doc that you understand the importance of testing and prove it will make a difference. This should be for any diabetic, T1, T2 or any other. Education and good dietary advice should come before testing for it to work. Once you understand this, test strips are a necessary tool for better control. Handing a newly diagnosed diabetic a meter and strips with no guidance is ridiculous. Likewise, giving them to someone who's not prepared to make changes is pointkess.

Reactions: 4 people

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think most diabetics especially those on medication or insulin realise the importance of testing. I think it's ridiculous putting all in the same category. If ur diet controlled then I agree u don't need to test....but....If you are on tablets a lot of people end up on insulin in time anyway so therefore I think if you are on any medication for it then I think u should have the right to strips etc

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also I would like to add....why would people want to inflict pain on themselves by testing unnecessarily. So many things can affect your blood sugar levels....medication. illness...stress...and even exercise! !

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Pain of what?

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dannyw. ......why are u presuming all diabetics are fat!!!!! I'm finding your posts a little presumptuous

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most diabetics especially those on medication or insulin realise the importance of testing. I think it's ridiculous putting all in the same category. If ur diet controlled then I agree u don't need to test....but....If you are on tablets a lot of people end up on insulin in time anyway so therefore I think if you are on any medication for it then I think u should have the right to strips etc

You are so wrong!

People on insulin and certain other meds have to test to control their insulin requirements and before they drive. Agreed.

People on diet only have to test to make sure their chosen diet is working for them, and if not, they have to adjust this diet to something more suitable They cannot do this successfully without testing before and after meals until they are 100% sure their meals are suitable. It is the only method they have, other than wait 6 or 12 months for a review HbA1c test, by which time it may be too late. Diet is crucial to control blood sugars. They do not have insulin or other meds to help them. How else do you suggest they control their levels?

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should have said.....If you are diet controlled and have bn that way and stable for a long time then u don't need to carry on testing every day.....If you are newly diagnosed then that's different

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have said.....If you are diet controlled and have bn that way and stable for a long time then u don't need to carry on testing every day.....If you are newly diagnosed then that's different

Yes, you should have said that.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Dont forget diabetes is a progressive disease,and to keep control you need to test.